Home

Lightsabre Or Lightsaber?

Mex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the problem with the english language ... its got no real gramattical or spelling rules

take "ough" for example

sounds like off in trough

oo in through

and theres a third 1 i cant remember

aw in brought and bought

As I said Jedi Monk, I'm not gonna force anyone to use it:D I'm just saying the technically "correct" spelling is Lightsabre, but it's not always used. On most of the star wars merchandise, such as action figures, lightsabre toys, books, etc, it is spelled as Lightsaber, mostly because they're either made in the U.S.A., or made by a company based there, or written by an American author.

I'm not gonna freak out and lose it because someone spells it "lightsaber", as I said, I'm fine with both spellings. Hell I'd already be driven quite mad by all the horrible grammer on these forums if I left stuff like that get to me:D I just thought I'd give a bit of input into the topic.

BTW, the amazon search doesn't work, as it appears to be based on your own user, and I get an error, seeing as I'm not you :p Lightsaber probably appears to be the most common spelling, because a vast majority of sites on the interent are based in the U.S. Oddly enough, most of the results of a google search for "Lightsabre", tend to also have the words "the proper spelling of..." or "the right way to spell..." somewhere on the page. I found that rather amusing, it seems everyone is trying to get the word out:D

EDIT: Yes, google is also American Hekx, which is why it doesn't like the spelling "Lightsabre":p

EDIT SQUARED: I'm with you Stormhammer. One of the reasons why I think Russian is such a great language, is because every single word in the Russian language is spelled exactly how it sounds. This is because the Russian written language was created after the spoken one, so they are no discrepancies, like in English.

I spell it both ways...because it doesn't really matter, after all. ;P

As for the differences in American English and British English...who cares? The way we spell words isn't the way we say them. I think someone should shake up the whole system and convert the whole English language to a phonetically spelt version...i.e., spell it how it sounds.

And as stated above...English is just a mish-mash of lots of other languages. French, Germanic, Old English (which bears little resemblance to Modern English)...I think we basically use anything that fits, and a lot of things that don't.

My own pet hate is words that sound the same...or maybe even spelt the same...and have multiple meanings. It's just confusing. We should have different words for those different meanings, IMHO.

Anyway, keep sabering/sabring... :D

Lightsabre.

It is the English language and in England we say Lightsabre so that is the correct spelling. How Americans choose to spell certain words is up to them, but the correct way will always be the way it is spelt in England.

As Reb said, the original draft of SW has it spelt this way also, end of story.

I use both, doesn't bother me.

thats just more proof that americans cant spell

:rolleyes:

its a combination of the words light ... and sabre ... meaning sword of light (if sum1 wants to tell me the difference between a sword and a sabre its welcome) therefore it is spelt LightsabRE

Archived