Home

The Existance of Intelligent Aliens?

Lost Welshman

Do you think there are other life forms out there with similar or more advanced technology than us, or do you think we are alone in being 'intelligent'.

I personnaly think there has to be some form of life out there, and I dont think we are the only intelligent race in the universe. Maybe there is a twin planet to earch but they were 'Lucky and didnt get hit by a meteor or whatever happend and there are dinosaurs roaming the planet. Or maybe there is a civilisation of aliens with the same basic technology as ours. Maybe there are just little microbes that float about planets. Or maybe, just maybe there are very advanced races having an intergalactic war? Makes you think doesnt it?

i dont think we are the only life form out there and i dont think aliens have to have the same kind of enviroment as us. i say that because people make a big deal about the atmosphere on other planets when there could be life forms out there that say require carbon as their base element needed to live. besides it would be one hell of a waste of space to just have mankind be the only intellegent life form.

Who knows, I'm not even sure on how we would find them. But, it's a chance. The chance of life once on Mars got me curious for awhile, if it's possible on earth it's possible elsewhere, chances are slim though. And whatever the lifeform would "be made of", it would have to be adaptable to the the conditions it is on whatever planet the lifeform is from so take that into consideration because I wouldn't imagne that there are many planets similar to earth, but the atmosphere conditions would have to be PERFECT and MUCH similar to earth.........

If we did encounter an alien species, they would obviously be more advanced than us in every way so it would be wise to take the peaceful aproach. I strongly believe that we have already encountered aliens and the US government is hiding it from us.

There are more stars in our very own galaxy than there are grains of sand on the earth. There are countless galaxies in the universe. If every star has it's own planetary system, what are the chances that conditions on some of those planets are perfect for supporting life? The odds are that there are many planets out there that support life. If there isn't it would be an awful waste of space.

We already know of over 100 planets outside our own solar system but so far they have been gas planets such as Jupiter. Sooner or later we will come across planets similar to our own and that is when the real fun begins.

I think that we are technically Silicon based life forms, not Carbon...

We will see once they investigate the moon Europa, of Jupiter I believe. They believe in studies of the moon that it has a frozen lake on it. There is Lake Vostok in the remote wastes of Russia, which has a thick ice layer (4km) to see what kind of "alternative evolution" has occured, since it has had no outside influence on it. That means no sunlight to provide life, to be part of the food chain.

They are just trying to work out how to get into the water beneath and not have the outside world effect it. A heated drilling probe seems to be the idea, with the ice sealing above it as it melts through to seal off any chance of contamination.

Once this is researched, then we may send a similar probe to Europa, and see if there is a form of life there, that exists without the need for the sun to provide the energy for life.

The more investigations there are, it seems to be that there is less likely a chance of other intelligent life out there, and if there is they maybe too far away for us ever to find them.

What if these aliens found us, looked at us, and just killed us there and then, no questions, no research, nothing. They may not even understand us, not able to comprehend our world.....

Conspiracy theories abound about many things, everyone loves to think that the US Govt is hiding everything, from Aliens, to Elvis and JFK amongst the more noteworthy!

"I think that we are technically Silicon based life forms, not Carbon..."

That is technically wrong. WE ARE NOT SILICON BASED. IF THAT IS THE CASE OXYGEN WOULD KILL US.

WE ARE CARBON BASED.

AS WE NEED WATER TO EXIST.

Going back to the original Question...

Are we alone. That can be answered several ways, but i really belive we "Man" where put on this planet after life started to die off. The meteor that killed the dinosaurs was a BIT conveinent??

Why not an alien race who saw NO Point in dinos.!!! its not like they could talk? or make things. Then man appeared. And for thousands of years lived in CAVES....

take our histroy of modern man. in the last 50 years we can orbit the EARTH!!!! its a bit strange? no? so i belive these aliens to exist right now and probably DO live amongst us!

Have u seen Bush? Micheal Jackson recently.... Just sit back in your chair as you read this and look at how "technical" man kind has evolved over the last 50 years...

then look at how long man has BEEN on the planet...

200,000 years? so in approx 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the time we have been here we can NUKE/Orbit the earth/ Fly @ speed of sound/ and still we kill for money/Oil.

Originally posted by Anakin_Solo

200,000 years? so in approx 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the time we have been here we can NUKE/Orbit the earth/ Fly @ speed of sound/ and still we kill for money/Oil.

If you regard the early Homo's and Australipethicus' as human, we've been here for about 5 million years. And take off more than half of those 0's.

Science is incredible, aint it? I don't think aliens have anything to do with our brain's capaticy to invent tools.

Are we alone. That can be answered several ways, but i really belive we "Man" where put on this planet after life started to die off. The meteor that killed the dinosaurs was a BIT conveinent??

When did life start to "die off"? It's been multiplying for as long as I know.

Originally posted by Cjais

How would you respond to an encounter with intelligent extra-terrestial life, that is obviously superior to us in every respect?

Would you perceive them as enemies? As allies? As animals? As gods?

Depends on techlevel. Someone (don't remember who) once said that: "Any xenos species with suffecient techlevel will be indistinguishable from God." or something to that effect.

So:

High tech: Gods.

Comparable tech: Blasphemous wretches to be scoured from the galaxy (not my view, but the one that I think that most of humanity would adopt, given the history of our species).

Low tech (ie: We find them first): Lesser beings (again not my opinion, just thoughtful guesswork).

As for the chance that ET drops by one of these days: There is the Drake equation, but we still have to determine L, and I reckon it to be pretty low.

I think that there is life in deep space (well not in deep space, but you get my meaning). Logically it would be carbonbased. Why? Simple: The universe is composed of H, He, N, C, and O (I think that's all). The rest of the elements don't appear in significant amounts (in fact if you look at interstellar levels, the only elements in the universe are H and He).

Of these, only carbon has been able to create the incredibly (but not irreducibly) complex biological constructions that life is composed of.

So: Aliens: Yes. Intelligent aliens: Why not? (Intelligent) aliens in our back yard: No.

The meteor that killed the dinosaurs was a BIT conveinent??

While the meteor that struk Yucatan 64 mill yrs ago is by far the best known natural disaster to cause mass extinctions, there have been many other meteor strikes resulting in huge loss of biosphere. AND it's gonna happen again, presumably, and unless we can "divert" the next one's "attention" (with nukes on its side or something), to make it change course, it's gonna hit us hard.

If we did encounter an alien species, they would obviously be more advanced than us in every way so it would be wise to take the peaceful aproach. I strongly believe that we have already encountered aliens and the US government is hiding it from us.

CONSPIRACY. Sorry, LeXX, but I don't go with conspiracy hypothesises ('cept maybe "The Dead Sea Scrolls Deciet").

Also: Why would the alien species need to be far more advanced than we are? What if we get our hands out from under our collective asses and start getting the space program back on track? Why couldn't we find them first?

Originally posted by ShadowTemplar

Comparable tech: Blasphemous wretches to be scoured from the galaxy (not my view, but the one that I think that most of humanity would adopt, given the history of our species).

If they could manage to reach us then I think they would have better tech. They could fly faster (otherwise they probbably wouldn't get to us) :)

While there may indeed be intelligent life on other planets, i highly doubt that they are on earth, for the simple reason of distance......the nearest star is Alpha Centauri, and it is 4 lightyears away from us (approx. 37,840,000,000,000 kilometers) and it is a good deal closer to us than ANY other star.....other stars are thousands upon thousands of lightyears away from us. And what are the odds that a space faring species would be able to travel that massive distance and actually find Earth out of the billions of other planets to see? Not particularly good methinks.

If we found aliens first, would we attack them if they looked threatening. Maybe there is a planet full of aliens that dont have technology, but they are intellegent. Like the Aliens from the film Alien. What if the aliens found us first with cool technology and helped us, but then we get caught up in an intergalactic war. Maybe we are aliens, when the meteor hit and killed all the dinos we might have "Landed" on earth. Maybe loads of meteors crashed into the sea and all fishes are aliens (I dont like fishes, fishes are tricksy)

Theres a point though, Deep in the sea, like DEEP DEEP where noone has been. What do you think might be underthere, some sort of "uber-race" or maybe just "sea dust"

While there may indeed be intelligent life on other planets, i highly doubt that they are on earth, for the simple reason of distance......the nearest star is Alpha Centauri, and it is 4 lightyears away from us (approx. 37,840,000,000,000 kilometers) and it is a good deal closer to us than ANY other star.....other stars are thousands upon thousands of lightyears away from us. And what are the odds that a space faring species would be able to travel that massive distance and actually find Earth out of the billions of other planets to see? Not particularly good methinks.

Maybe without our knowing there is a whole network of alien life forms in the universe, able to travel almost instantaneously towards each other. OR maybe an ancient race with great echnology targeted trillions of planets and loaded up meteors full of people and fired them out. Over billions of years they crash and life forms

Archived