Home

I'm back, with Windows XP at my side!

Mex

Alright, I am going to be on LucasForums a little bit more, but this time, I got windows XP at my side, its much better than millenium, I would like to say thanks to all the people who suggested this to me.

And would anyone tell me any websites for windows XP themes?

Thx in advance, Flanders

Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú

I still have ME. :(

Can you upgrade to XP without reformatting your harddrive or screwing up your computer?

Yeah sure. It actually works if you up to XP from an older OS, unlike previous attempts. However, I would still recommmend an install from a fresh format drive.

There are lots of theme XP sites. Try http://www.wincustomize.com and http://www.tweakxp.com. They have lots of usfull info for you to read and play with.

Can you upgrade to XP without reformatting your harddrive or screwing up your computer?

The installation did'nt work the first time, I had to use a floppy disk, and I lost all of my data, but I dont really mind! :)

Hehe, not reformatting your computer every year or so is screwing up your computer (especially with Windows 98 or ME). Always install an OS with a newly formatted drive. Just back up your documents on a zip, cd, or another hdd.

Anyone know what ME actually was? It has some pieces, that were obviously from the Win2K build, but still had most of the pieces from 9x.

It seemed like a way to make money of a half built piece of software. It was neither a Win9x machine, nor was it the full NT based core that 2K and XP are.

Flanders, welcome to the real world, XP at your side, and alot more stable OS. I have a problem with mine, but I am pretty sure it is down to a piece of hardware, has almost done it since the day I upgraded the video card and mother board about 3 years ago.

Not really, considering that all the cracked versions had the same serial code with them, and that MS would've had a copy come into their hands, they would know what to ask to find out if it is legit, in a roundabout way.....

They made a whole set of keys invalid with the install of SP1, a way to help remove piracy. All of those that had been leaked and widley used by those that had pirated the software.

MS can only tell if you have a pirated copy IF you use one of the highly spread keys that they know about and have banned... Finding a legit key from sources other than the internet is a way around it.

Originally posted by Flanders

What do you think of it?

EDIT: FFS damn lucasforums, I click the button once and it double posts! :mad:

Yeh, I hate when that happens....

Its great! I got it a few months ago, like November, and its feels great. Hehe. I love the Speech Action in the control Panel. I make it say alot of strange things, and I call my friends, and they think its a salesman. hehe..... I like how you can customize everything, like the sounds (MSN Messenger sounds, logging on sounds, etc...) And, its wicked fast. Before, it took me an hour to load up Jedi Outcast, and 10 minutes to get in a game. Now, I can load it up and get in a game in less than 3 minutes! *Hugs XP*

Hope XP treats you good, Flanders! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ZBomber

Yeh, I hate when that happens....

Its great! I got it a few months ago, like November, and its feels great. Hehe. I love the Speech Action in the control Panel. I make it say alot of strange things, and I call my friends, and they think its a salesman. hehe..... I like how you can customize everything, like the sounds (MSN Messenger sounds, logging on sounds, etc...) And, its wicked fast. Before, it took me an hour to load up Jedi Outcast, and 10 minutes to get in a game. Now, I can load it up and get in a game in less than 3 minutes! *Hugs XP*

Hope XP treats you good, Flanders! :thumbsup:

Heh, I am going to install Jedi Outcast again, see if it will actually let me play properly, XP is treating me really good, I have discovered some of its new features, so, I am gonna explore a bit now and install JO. Back in a few mins!

Originally posted by Anakin_Solo

Did u know that every timne your online with XP it sends small packets of data back to MS?

they even posted a critical file update on MS XP update site, this program checks to see if your copy is legit. if not it screws up the boot partition.

What im trying to say is XP is FULL of SPYWARE built in right now! read the whole license agreement. it basicly gives Microsoft 100% access to your Computer..

100%. Every time your online, they know eactly what you have bought and what is ON your PC.

great if your legit. but what happens if you have TOP secret stuff on your COmputer ???

Can MS access it? YOU bet! and it also by passess firewalls.

GO HERE FOR INFO

XP ANTI SPY Click on UK flag for ENGLISH...

Originally posted by Flanders

Heh, I am going to install Jedi Outcast again, see if it will actually let me play properly, XP is treating me really good, I have discovered some of its new features, so, I am gonna explore a bit now and install JO. Back in a few mins!

Yeah, XP rocks! :) Wayyyy better than 98 or ME.:mad:

Posted by acdcfanbill

you have heard what is going into the next windows, havent you?

Thankfully, yes, I have...

In other words, I will never again use another Windows OS, after XP, looks like im headed for Linux...
Ditto - it looks like a lot of the Linux flavours are maturing well too, so when the time comes, a switch-over should be fairly painless for someone with a bit of PC knowledge...

Originally posted by Anakin_Solo

What im trying to say is XP is FULL of SPYWARE built in right now! read the whole license agreement. it basicly gives Microsoft 100% access to your Computer..

100%. Every time your online, they know eactly what you have bought and what is ON your PC.

great if your legit. but what happens if you have TOP secret stuff on your COmputer ???

Can MS access it? YOU bet! and it also by passess firewalls.

GO HERE FOR INFO

XP ANTI SPY Click on UK flag for ENGLISH...

Personally I think you are a tad paranoid about it all. They do nothing of the sort, they do not send or collect any information that can personally identify your PC.

I think you are paranoid about what you think MS can do, and what is does do.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

Anyone know what ME actually was? It has some pieces, that were obviously from the Win2K build, but still had most of the pieces from 9x.

It seemed like a way to make money of a half built piece of software. It was neither a Win9x machine, nor was it the full NT based core that 2K and XP are.

Well, Windows XP was a long term goal for MS. It was the operating system they have been working on for a long ass time. They started to separate the OS between home use and professional/network use for testing, feedback, progress, etc. Think of previous versions of windows (98, Me, 2000) as beta for this version. MS has now finished what they are been tried to due for the last 8 years or so by combining the features of home and business into one working OS.

Archived