Home

Manners

leXX

I have, like most others posting here, been raised with a set of values that tell me that politeness is necessary. I hold open doors, i say please, thank you, excuse me, you're welcome, and all the other nice things to say. Whenever i take girls on dates i open and close the car doors for them, if I'm driving home after school and i see somebody i barely know walking home i will pull over and offer them a ride, even though my house is 1 block away from school (and i still drive.....i'm lazy) and their house may be on the other side of town.

I am AMAZED at grade schoolers whenever i'm around them. I know when i was in grade school i would NEVER EVER EVER say anything to a high schooler that wasn't nice. EVER. I was terrified that they would beat me senseless. I know now of course they wouldn't, because it's really not possible for me to even think about hitting a little kid.....but at the time i was terrified. Last summer i was playing roller hockey and some 11 or 12 year old kid was playing with us....he was such a punk, always swearing, so i told him to watch his mouth....and he wanted to throw down his gloves and go at it with me! Now i'm not a very big 17 year old, but i still had 5 years, 6 inches, and 20 pounds on him...........it's insane.

almost everything you say proves my point, the most aggresion comes from 8-13 year old children, and though there may be people in other age categories that act the same, the percentage that is rude is the highest in that age group. in the netherlands, we have a cursus for people from other country's, to learn the dutch do's and don'ts, i suggest we give them to 8-13 years old too.

I'm 19...and I have an extremely high amount of respect and manners. I'm very loyal as well. I've had some military-type background, so I also follow orders well. Sometimes I catch myself passing a casual "salute" to my boss at work, lol.

I have all of this due to a childhood of "manners"

I've always looked at it like a matter of training.

Teenagers (from my perspective) are simply adults-in-training. If you go to work for a company that makes widgets and they put you on the assembly line with no training, what do you do first?

Some will ask others, some will look for the boss and ask him/her, but many (I think most) will try it on their own first. How hard could it be, right?

Of the new employees that ask peers, some ask peers that know what their doing, some ask peers that are clueless. It's impossible to tell the difference beforehand, since no one wants to reveal that they no not what they are doing.

Of the ones that ask the boss, some will get wisdom, but some will get a brush off. After all, some bosses are just too bogged down in their own workloads.

Of the ones that try it on their own, some will get it right and some will get it wrong (again, probably most will get it wrong). The ones that get it right may or may not consistently get it right, and the ones that get it wrong may learn from their mistakes or they may become frustrated and not engage good problem-solving skills.

This is what our teens are going through in society today. They are adults in training and the parents, teachers, etc. (bosses) are often very busy in their own pursuits. Peers are often as clueless as they, since they were/are in the same predictament.

What is lost is the on-the-job training in areas such as values, morals, ethics, etc. that exist in every family and society to varying degrees. The end result is a generational deteriation in ethics.

A kid can listen to whatever music, wear whatever clothes and, watch whatever television/movies, but it's the ethical standards that the kid has for himself that will filter what goes through him/her.

SkinWalker

Oh.... just in case you were wondering... I work with Juvenile Delinquents when I'm not going to college. That's were this idea has originated ;-)

Originally posted by kstar__2

almost everything you say proves my point, the most aggresion comes from 8-13 year old children

I don't disagree with you but that age group deserves a little consideration, the physical and emotional changes occuring at that age are the cause of alot of the bad behavior.

What I can't stand are adults who have no excuse. When a 17 year old boy flips me off in traffic it doesn't bother me as much as when a 40 year old man does it.

Short JKII Outcast Movie clip

Well, I am quite amazed at how some little kids react, and it's unfortunate that I haven't had good experiences with them..... like many of the other people in this thread, I was raised on good manners, too, and growing up I have watched how kids misbehave instead of being the kid that misbehaves, in which case I have learned the simplest and polite things you can do that will make life smoother in the long run :), it really disgusts me how those misbehaving teens can give us such a bad rep :mad:

I also was raised with having good manners. I open the door for people and hold it open and stuff like that. I also make sure that I say hi to people whenever I pass them if I make eye contact with them if they are older or give a nod to acknowledge them.

I also make sure that I say no thank you if I am offered something and I dont want it and to say thank you.

I also make sure that if someone asks me something that I respond to them like ShockV1.89 said. I mean it's not to hard to say something like no thank you I am just looking around or something like that.

I also make sure that I correct my nephew whenever he uses bad language to much. He knows that if he calls me something that he shouldnt when I am joking that I am going to slap him up side the head. He also knows to say no thank you and all that stuff. He is a smart ass and I relize that but I know when to something when he had gone beyond toleration.

If I also was flipped off by a some punk I just saw I would give him the bird as well. But if some punk ass said something to one of my female friends I would kick his ass and make him apoligize.

As for someone older giving me any gestures like that I just take it out on them later on by doing something to them later on anonymously. That way the learn their lesson. But I would never cuss out someone who is Significantly older than me. It just wrong to do something like that.

:lsduel::duel:

I don't see to many young children (12-17yrs) but I do see many, many adults at my job. Customers. And I see a lot of filthy, rude, scum of the earth adults. It's not just children who have no manners, or are arrogant. Adults are as well. You just associate with well mannered adults, and occaisonally see rude children. If you frequently saw the rude adults, your opinion would change on just who, or what, makes someone rude.

Archived