Home

of martial arts and cameras

whitedragon

i am a first degree brown belt in the japanese martial art shotokan. i used to practice at home alot but lately it got kindof boreing with doing the same things and trying to master them. i then had a brain storm why not record it and see how i look. i tryed it out and now i am convinced that i am the new jet li J/K but seriously its fun to do. has anyone ever made any fight tapes or practice tapes if so please post them. ill post mine soon

I got my black belt in Shotokan when I was 15. My brother and I graded on the same day, he was 11, one of the youngest black belts in the country at the time. I certainly recommend everyone do some sort of martial art at some point in their life. It's not just about the fighting, it's about self discipline too and will keep you in good stead for the rest of your life.

I havn't got any tapes unfortunately. :(

wow really i guess your my superior then. and yes everyone this may be off topic but i wouldent be the person i am today if it wasent for karate. it taught me honor and self discipline, two things that i wouldent dare go agenct today. and they made me a better person all things considerd

Orange-and-a-half-belt at 6. Oh yeah. 1 4r3 73h l337.

it really did nothing for me. I guess you had to advace a lot more, but it seemed totally pointless at the time. Maybe my instuctors sucked (northern Canada isnt known for thier martial arts masters)

Originally posted by whitedragon

i am a first degree brown belt in the japanese martial art shotokan. i used to practice at home alot but lately it got kindof boreing with doing the same things and trying to master them. i then had a brain storm why not record it and see how i look. i tryed it out and now i am convinced that i am the new jet li J/K but seriously its fun to do. has anyone ever made any fight tapes or practice tapes if so please post them. ill post mine soon

yeah i have with me and my friend we would tape our sword practice sessions and some of me practicing jeet kun do on some practice dummies and then a tape of me and my friend makin a martial arts movie.

Great idea.. I'd love to see your mad Real Life $killz! :D

I dedicated quite a few years of my life to Karate (shorinji ryu). I used to be decent, but now I'm totally out of shape so.. :(

Btw - I think it's hilarious how people get black belts basically by doing nothing. Take three lessons and you get the orange-purple belt with three golden stripes! Yay! :rolleyes:

I've even heard of some sort of karate-correspondence courses? I assume you get you black belt in the mail after reading the "how to do Kara-té"-manual and pay 50 bucks..?

In my country you are usually not allowed to practise martial arts unless you're 14 or older. There are obvious reasons for this.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about (and seeing) dumb ass treenage punks picking fights on the streets right after they have learned their first cool kick... pathetic, it is. :disaprove

I've trained some Shotokan-karate too, but I felt like Shorinji ryu suited me better. It's more...power and fighting - less "Tai Chi", if you know what I mean.

Ps. don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to imply that any of you guys (or LeXXy) suck and shouldn't have such high lvl belts. :)

i have the blue belt in judo, but i can't say it thaught me self disipline, actually, more bad than good.

i'm kinda skinny (i really was when i was on judo) so i never played tournaments (they trew me around the room) but i was asked to be in the selection, well, there was me, thinking it was cool, well, the training was, but the people there where so cocky, and talking behind my back about how bad and weak i was and stuff. so after that very class i called them i didn't want to be in the selection anymore, and a couple of months later i quit judo

There's karate and then there's karate. There are teachers who teach it properly, the old way following all the old traditions and disciplines (kneeling and bowing before you enter the dojo for example), and then there are the teachers who are just in it for the money and wouldn't know a dojo from a dodo. It all just depends on what teacher you get.

I was trained by my uncle who was very strict and followed all the codes and traditions. He was a black belt in 8 different martial arts. When I say you didn't wanna mess with him, trust me. Sadly he died when I was a purple belt and never got to see my get my black belt.

I'm sickened by how karate has turned into nothing but a money making business these days, and sadly all the old traditons are slowly being forgotten.

Originally posted by leXX

There's karate and then there's karate. There are teachers who teach it properly, the old way following all the old traditions and disciplines (kneeling and bowing before you enter the dojo for example), and then there are the teachers who are just in it for the money and wouldn't know a dojo from a dodo. It all just depends on what teacher you get.

my teacher is not one of the disrespectful money grubing basterd. he he travels to japan once a year to visit his old master and we all follow the old traditions, because if we dont its pushup time:D he is a 5th degree black belt and a very respectful and honorable man. im glad i came to him insted of anyone else

Archived