Home

dead (lack of s/o ctf servers)

Comm539

i find gunning in JA to be slow and boring. if i wanted to gun i would just play Q3, which i do. (which is 1000x better in the gunning aspect than JA/JO could ever be). in my opinion JO was good for gunning with the fast speeds and momentum you could build. but i find JA to be slow paced in guns and s/o where as you could go literally super speeds in q3 while strafe jumping and just blow past full maps while gunning down noobs with the rocket launcher. even with rage/speed it doesnt feel to be the same.

just my opinion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by noide

i find gunning in JA to be slow and boring. if i wanted to gun i would just play Q3, which i do. (which is 1000x better in the gunning aspect than JA/JO could ever be). in my opinion JO was good for gunning with the fast speeds and momentum you could build. but i find JA to be slow paced in guns and s/o where as you could go literally super speeds in q3 while strafe jumping and just blow past full maps while gunning down noobs with the rocket launcher. even with rage/speed it doesnt feel to be the same.

just my opinion

Need i say more to this than hell no, and I'll elave it at that unless you bitch in which case you're asking for serious bitching, no offense but have U ever really used speed and rage with guns before (holy **..)! rofflmao IT OWNS, BEST GAME PLAY for guns I rate it atleast 8/10!

I love chop shop to death, lol

I play on the instagib and ctf/ffa/cty/hc/jm/ server

Chop shop has the best servers I have ever played on.

HArdly or no rules are great (not that i lame).

Yes i agree with FK fallen quake3 would be better if you like guns but i think ja/jo can deffinently have as good or even better gameplay. oh yea i hate quake 3 it gets old SOO fast. forcepowers and sabers OWN. and so do the guns

PS: why is it so hard to get the FK to email me back so I can try to join there clan!?!?!?! lol oh well im not good enoughf anymore anyway....

Amidala you should make a chop shop clan...... nah not enoughf time

dont worry about the returned emails. you wont get in.

i know this because i know everything.

and the little fact that fk and shockwave merged and they said no more recruiting...and the fact i've never heard of yo uand you EMAILED to get into the clan you aren't the caliber to get in. hell i'm not the caliber to get in.

Bah, I disagree with all of you who say JK2/JA guns sucks.

I don't care if you prefer Q3 or UT, I played them a lot and enjoyed them (UT moreso than Q3), but I enjoy the Force powers in JK2/JA much better (UT's DM_Morpheus being one exception).

Force Speed and Rage make JA pretty fast paced (of course nothing beats MotS and JK1 for speed... those were the fastest FPS games ever). Too slow? Up your game speed then. ; )

They give you a "sixth sense" and added complexity.. you really feel like you're playing in a 3d world, not just running around on a flat plane with the occasional rocket jump or super slow pad bounce.

Feel free to disagree, but IMNSHO Full Force+Guns is just as "unique" and fun as Full Force+Saber. Each to his own...

Originally posted by Rumor

dont worry about the returned emails. you wont get in.

i know this because i know everything.

and the little fact that fk and shockwave merged and they said no more recruiting...and the fact i've never heard of yo uand you EMAILED to get into the clan you aren't the caliber to get in. hell i'm not the caliber to get in.

Yea I tried to get in at least 6 months ago :)

then i moved on to chop shop

err...

Just one thing, fallen and myself are two different people in case their was some confusion.

As for getting in, we are invite only but there have been try outs done in the past.

atm we do not play JA at all (almost every competitive jk2 ff/so clan has left as well) but once the sdk is released that will change.

I plan on doing the 1v1 ladder thing again as do a few other members of our clan.

As for CTF and Teamffa... hard to say, many of our CTF players are die hard Unreal Tournament fans and being that the game is just about to be released, they may not even bother with JA CTF even if a mod does make the game playable on competitive levels.

Chances are it's going to be a case of "too little too late" because I simply do not see the MP SDK being released anytime soon and by the time it is, the majority of us will simply have grown tired of waiting around.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Bah, I disagree with all of you who say JK2/JA guns sucks.

I don't care if you prefer Q3 or UT, I played them a lot and enjoyed them (UT moreso than Q3), but I enjoy the Force powers in JK2/JA much better (UT's DM_Morpheus being one exception).

Force Speed and Rage make JA pretty fast paced (of course nothing beats MotS and JK1 for speed... those were the fastest FPS games ever). Too slow? Up your game speed then. ; )

They give you a "sixth sense" and added complexity.. you really feel like you're playing in a 3d world, not just running around on a flat plane with the occasional rocket jump or super slow pad bounce.

Feel free to disagree, but IMNSHO Full Force+Guns is just as "unique" and fun as Full Force+Saber. Each to his own...

Very true, jk1 was by far the fastest game of all time, with jerk strafe running and force speed. Jk3 gunning is better than jk2 but i say jk1 was better. jk2 and 3 guns just simply don't damage enough. The rockets also are slow moving projectiles. Also, most of the maps just simply were not designed well for gunning in jk3. jk2 had some pretty good maps. Conc needs to do more damage, be more widely available (as in like more maps). As of now, it does way too little damage for the amount of ammo it consumes. And the lack of hit boxes is also bad. I like the movement in jk3 better than jk2, u move much faster, and strafe jumping u can go much faster. If only concussion rifle only took 8 ammo, or did something like 50 damage for direct and 40 for splash (slightly more than repeater). The ctf maps could have more ammo. In general jk3 gunning is still better than jk2 just because of the movements and the new run up wall thing for ctf. Also, even though ammo and armor placement is weaker, I like the look of the maps better. Jk2 with force speed alone is about the speed of q3 (this is witout strafe jumping). jk3 with speed is and a proper strafe jump can get pretty fast. The main problem is lack of ammo, bacta, armor, and the 100 limit armor thing.

You know you can play all the JK2 CTF maps in JA (though the elevators need fixing... the guy who ported them and released them on pcgamemods.com didn't have the proper mapping tools at the time).

And they also prove that Bacta, Stationary Shields, Sentries, etc even Ysalamari are all still in the game. You just put them in your map and they're usable again.

So make your CTF map how you want it, make it optimized for S/O CTF, put in all the stuff you want. Put in a Mutant Rancor and swoops if you want. Whatever...

Heck, you could even just edit the maps that came with JA to change the item placement to your liking. But I'd suggest new maps altogether...

ut2k4 will own :) Hopefully it won't be dumbed down to accommodate noobs (people asked for no strafing):)

And they also prove that Bacta, Stationary Shields, Sentries, etc even Ysalamari are all still in the game.

And you still think JA isnt JK2 code copied over. Lol.

Well ya. Its a new SP, with a few new moves, maps and styles thrown in (most of which were preliminarily coded for jk2). Sounds like an expansion to me.

Anyway, this is the basis of my arguement.

They add a kata/butterfly/roll stab etc. Most of the professional community says they're almost useless moves for the fanboys. But thats fine. They realise there are other audiences that need to be accommodated. They don't start crying about kata's being one kill moves and how they should be removed.

What I dont understand is why features have been removed. Why dont you people want to add extra dimensions of strategy and make the game more diverse? This is why I believe your noobs. You're happy that the sequel has removed features simply because you couldn't cope (counter) them the first time of trying.

Let me ask you, if someone dfa's you, do you just stand there are let them hit? Wtf do you stand there and let someone kick you then. Besides my belief that some of you are plain kin' stupid, its not a hard concept.

Fine some features have been added. Great. But basically, you're happy that many levels of intricity have been removed. Ask yourself why you're happy the games been dumbed down. Don't reply with the bullsh*t of 'unavoidable' attacks, because none were. Some were tricky to avoid, admittedly new players couldn't do everything right away, but it could be done. This is where a competetive community thrives. This is not JA atm.

As Kurgan pointed out, some of the code is clearly copied. Why not reinsert the levels of intricity with the option to turn them on or off?

Originally posted by Comm539

But basically, you're happy that many levels of intricity have been removed. Ask yourself why you're happy the games been dumbed down.

Maybe because they don't want to play a game that requires the amount of time some people put into it, to enjoy playing it online.

I mean if the only way you can hop into a server and stand a decent chance at ending up somewhere in the middle, is by spending hours a day training, that might not be something most people want.

What the competive players seem to forget, is they are a very small minnority of the total player base. Most of them, yourself included seem to imply that the only opinions that should count, are the ones of comptitive players.

Something that makes the most people happy, is the best bussiness decision to make.

However options are always a good thing. So leaving the ablity to do some things in the game, that could be turned on or off, would of been a better choice all around.

Comm539...

You make an excellent point in that post. It's also the most thoughtful and clear I've heard you be to date. Your opinions are a lot easier to accept and understand when they are expressed without all the condescending insults. Sorry... just being honest.

Maybe because they don't want to play a game that requires the amount of time some people put into it, to enjoy playing it online.

I mean if the only way you can hop into a server and stand a decent chance at ending up somewhere in the middle, is by spending hours a day training, that might not be something most people want.

Vanor... I agree with this wholeheartedly. And it really gets to the heart of the matter. I'm of the firm belief that this is what LucasArts wants Jedi Academy to be - a game that anybody can play and enjoy, without having to be a pro or clan member who practices two or more times a week to simply have a chance.

We're at an interesting time now, where there are a lot of fathers and sons from both Star Wars generations; and this game is a marvelous opportunity for them to engage in something together that's both fun and cool. And though I understand and appreciate the JO community, it is not very welcoming toward those who do not practice the game often and play regularly.

JA as it stands offers a little bit for everybody... it's not pure noobishness, nor is it striclty competitive and skill based. Yet both approaches are accomodated to a certain degree... and that is an amazing achievement.

However, I can completely understand and agree with Comm539's request for a togglable feature which allows for a more competitive gameplay approach if the leagues want it. It would be really great of LucasArts to develop a "specialized" aspect of the game for those wanting a little more substance to it.

In general, there's nothing wrong with league play or having elite players. But there's a tendency in most games of this nature for those players to "take over" the servers and make it a lot less fun for everybody else. Now I'm not talking about not being able to avoid the DFA, or simply being an idiot online... I mean going into a server for an hour or two once or twice a week and having fun, without it being extremely difficult to just make a fair score.

Some people like this to be a challenge, like team sports; but others see this has a fun stress reliever... they shouldn't be more stressed after playing than they were when they started. That's what happened for me with JO toward the end there - it wasn't that I couldn't compete, it was that it wasn't much fun doing so. More often than not I would log off with either a headache, or be so mad that I wanted to kick something. Which is why my copy ended up on the shelf at Electronics Boutique.

It's my sincere hope that whatever changes are made to JA if any do not change it's level of fun and enjoyment online for those who cannot put the time in to be one of the "elite."

What I think would be a smart move is to release an expansion pack to JO which brings some of the advances made in JA to it, yet keeps it within the current 1.04 arena and maintains it's edginess. I know many see JA as supposed to be that... but it's not. And that's the problem. JA is a seperate game targeted toward a little younger and less edgy audience than JO was... and it's obvious.

I mean nobody has officially said that JA is an actual sequel to JO; nor have they said that JO is on the way out. On the contrary, it appears to me that the JO community is as strong as ever.

The fact is that certain moves were "dumbed down"/removed because they were VERY easy to spam OR were actually more powerful than intended. I mean, take kick ofr example. In JO, you could run around with saber off, no weapon out, and OWN a s/o server. That's not realistic. If I hold a deadly weapon in front of you, and you come and try to kick me...you're going to die. In real life. In JO, the guy with the weapon would die and the guy hwho kicked could go on. Raven actually added a MORE REALISTIC kick into JA.

(Anyways, JA is certainly full of many "noobs". All that really means is easy kills, to my way of thinking.)

The only thing that seems to have been "removed" is kick. What other "levels of intricity" have been removed?

Well ya. Its a new SP, with a few new moves, maps and styles thrown in (most of which were preliminarily coded for jk2). Sounds like an expansion to me.

I don't think it is, but we are basing what we consider a new game and expansions on different things. Yes it is very similar (SP at least) to JO. But I think that is okay, because I really liked JO. Whether it uses the same code or not or is an expansion or not doesn't matter to me at all. If it matters to you, I can't help that. :)

Anyway, this is the basis of my arguement.

They add a kata/butterfly/roll stab etc. Most of the professional community says they're almost useless moves for the fanboys. But thats fine. They realise there are other audiences that need to be accommodated. They don't start crying about kata's being one kill moves and how they should be removed.

Nor am I.

What I dont understand is why features have been removed. Why dont you people want to add extra dimensions of strategy and make the game more diverse?

Why are you assigning all these opinions to me that I haven't stated here? I never said I don't want extra dimensions of strategy. That would be just fine with me. I'd be happy with that too.

This is why I believe your noobs. You're happy that the sequel has removed features simply because you couldn't cope (counter) them the first time of trying.

Incorrect, for me at least. Since you have never seen me play, I don't know how you can say what I can and can't counter. The fact is that the vast majority of moves in JO I could counter. Regardless, that is not the reason why I am happy. I am happy with MP because I like just going on a server and playing around with other people. I play JA, and I have fun for the amount of time I am playing. I would also have fun with a game that had a high learning curve and complex strategies. I don't care either way. My view is that the game is what it is, and I have fun with it. I don't demand that it be super-competative friendly, and I don't demand that it be super easy. I don't try to shoehorn the game into something it isn't. I am happy with whatever form the game takes, as long as it is playable for me. If that form changes with a patch, I am fine with that as well. The game will be fun for me regardless.

Let me ask you, if someone dfa's you, do you just stand there are let them hit? Wtf do you stand there and let someone kick you then. Besides my belief that some of you are plain kin' stupid, its not a hard concept.

No. Of course not. Why do you think that this is what I do? Whether you think I am "plain kin' stupid" or not I can't control, but I can tell you that I don't just stand there and get kicked or DFAed. Can you tone down the insults though? How have I personally screwed you out of having fun?

For the kick thing, for the record I am perfectly happy to have them as a cvar, though I would like it to have a more kick-like animation. Other than that, I'll adapt to whatever form it comes in, if it comes at all.

Fine some features have been added. Great. But basically, you're happy that many levels of intricity have been removed.

I am happy with the game whether it has intricities or not. If they are there, great. If they aren't great. I just play the game by whatever rules and strageties are there. I was successful in JO, an I seem to be in JA. The strategies were different in all the JO patches and JA, and I adapted.

Believe me, I don't sit around thinking, "Yes! We've finally screwed competative players!" If competative players are happy with JA, super. If they aren't, I'm sorry to hear that, but it won't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Ask yourself why you're happy the games been dumbed down. Don't reply with the bullsh*t of 'unavoidable' attacks, because none were. Some were tricky to avoid, admittedly new players couldn't do everything right away, but it could be done. This is where a competetive community thrives. This is not JA atm.

I am not happy because the game has been dumbed down. I am happy because I have fun when I go online and play. If the game took longer to get good at, I'd be happy with that to, and I'd spend the time getting to the point where I could be effective.

And I don't believe that there are unavoidable attacks. From what I saw in JO, everything had a counter. I had a blast with JO as well.

As Kurgan pointed out, some of the code is clearly copied. Why not reinsert the levels of intricity with the option to turn them on or off?

Fine with me. I will adapt either way. My only concern is that if they are put back in part and parcel that there might be some new imbalances because of the differences in JA. As long as those issues are addressed, excellent.

I'm not sure why you are so upset at me for liking the game. I have not tried to screw you or anyone else out of anything, and frankly I don't see how I could if I wanted to. I'm sorry I am not a diehard competative player than demands the game be difficult. I'm just not that person. But I don't believe that I am completely devoid of any skill either. :)

Originally posted by Akshara

It's my sincere hope that whatever changes are made to JA if any do not change it's level of fun and enjoyment online for those who cannot put the time in to be one of the "elite."

I have come to the conculsion that many of the "compitive" players, feel that unless you can dedicate as much time to the game as they do, you have no right to enjoy it.

Again I'm all for more options, that makes the game enjoyable to the largest number of people.

But dispite what he says, I get the feeling that Comm539's real point is, that unless you can dedicate as much time to something as a compitive player, then you are a noob who doesn't have a valid opinion.

This is why I believe your noobs. You're happy that the sequel has removed features simply because you couldn't cope (counter) them the first time of trying.

That doesn't imply anything it comes right out says it. That unless you are of his skill level, your opinion doesn't count for anything.

I think having a compitive comunity is a good thing, but one is hardly needed for a game to surive or even thrive. I've played a ton of online games, many with out such a thing, and they all surived and thrived for some time.

As the first generation of computer gamers, such as people my age grow up and have less and less time for games. Game companies will realize this and make games that are "dumbed down" to acomadate the growing market.

Because to Lucas Arts, the compitivie comunity means nothing, what matters is how many copies they sell. As by defention the compitive players are a minorty, where it matters most, the bottom line, they're opinions cary much less weight then the larger audence of casual players.

Originally posted by Prime

I am not happy because the game has been dumbed down. I am happy because I have fun when I go online and play. If the game took longer to get good at, I'd be happy with that to, and I'd spend the time getting to the point where I could be effective.

And I don't believe that there are unavoidable attacks. From what I saw in JO, everything had a counter. I had a blast with JO as well.

I'm not sure why you are so upset at me for liking the game. I have not tried to screw you or anyone else out of anything, and frankly I don't see how I could if I wanted to. I'm sorry I am not a diehard competative player than demands the game be difficult. I'm just not that person. But I don't believe that I am completely devoid of any skill either. :)

:thmbup1: :thmbup1: :thmbup1: :thmbup1: :thmbup1::cheers:

You enjoy the game. Great. I enjoy playing competetive games. Toggleable features means we can both play the ways we like.

And for the last time, it has nothing to do with skill. Anyone who doesnt want features such as pt, ptk, k, gk, groundkill, rage dfa, rolling etc etc. doesn't want more levels of intrincity added to the game.

I can't be any clearer.

For whatever reasons, basically you dont want them in the game, therefore dont want extra levels of strategy. On the most part its because people aren't good enough to deal with things, normally because they dont want to practice stuff. Fine. But falicies such as:

In JO, you could run around with saber off, no weapon out, and OWN a s/o server.

Are just plain stupid.

I'm sorry, but if someone kick whoring can 'own a server' then i'm afraid he's just a better player (or your a worse player). Kicking is an extra level of strategy. You have to learn when, where and how to do it and learn to counter it. On NO occasion would a kick spammer simply 'own' anyone.

My point is simply that players are happy features are removed because they couldn't cope/deal with them. What about dfa? People who spammed them could own a server?...No. You learn to dodge them and not let them hit you. Same thing with kicks, just that they'd take more practice to dodge. They're just an extra dimension to gameplay.

I accept that not everyone wants to play competetively and practice stuff. But there are those who do.

As for being a minority, personally I think its about equal, but it matters not. Why can't you agree that having a patch to toggle features on and off will make everyone happy?

Aswell as being toggled on and off, you said we're a 'minority', therefore it couldn't possibly interfer with however you want to play the game. You get to keep the 'fun' JA and the competetive community can play a game with a wider range of features.

Originally posted by Vanor

Because to Lucas Arts, the compitivie comunity means nothing, what matters is how many copies they sell. As by defention the compitive players are a minorty, where it matters most, the bottom line, they're opinions cary much less weight then the larger audence of casual players.

I know and like most things these days, people are just out to earn a few extra dollars. But you'll never get anything if you don't try. (ie. toggleable features).

You enjoy the game. Great. I enjoy playing competetive games. Toggleable features means we can both play the ways we like.

Why can't you agree that having a patch to toggle features on and off will make everyone happy?

You get to keep the 'fun' JA and the competetive community can play a game with a wider range of features.

sorry... I do agree and would something I would greatly support.

:)

And for the last time, it has nothing to do with skill. Anyone who doesnt want features such as pt, ptk, k, gk, groundkill, rage dfa, rolling etc etc. doesn't want more levels of intrincity added to the game.

I also agree w/ this, I enjoy more intrincity in any game along w/ more features. (I personally think red dfa should be as hard to time as in JO).

Excelleny and very valid points.

:r2d23:eniaC

Actually, many people don't want those things because they deviate fairly radically (especially things like pull-throw, grip-kick, and so on) from the way the game was originally intended to be played. Ultimately, a lot of people don't like these things because they are "un-Star Wars", and "take away" from the more traditional (for lack of a better term) lightsaber fighting.

I happen to agree with that to some extent, and I want the game to remind me of the movies I love. But I realize that this is a game, and thus there are different priorities, and that many players just want a game, Star Wars-like or not. I want a game that is fun, first and formost. I don't see why pull-kick, etc. are the only way to add complexity to the game. Surely there are ways to add complexity that also appeals to Star Wars fans.

But having options is fine as far as I'm concerned.

The core problem with the Dark Forces games is the fact that no one in this community has the same visions of "star wars fighting".

No one would accept a game just chock full of Quake 3/UT guns... heck, people didn't accept UT2003 because it had UT guns in it, well not everyone at least.

The competitive players don't want to play guns because it's not fast like Quake... and in the end, we'd probably feel betrayed or something if they were.

The casual gamer just wants to have a good time.

The competitive player wants a game of precision.

Then we get into arguments over what constitutes precision, blah blah blah.

this game just has too many elements for the community to ever solidify on. Raven may have failed in the eyes of many, but as I think about it more and more.... what could Raven have done for us, really? Please don't answer with "Bug Fixes!!"... that's an obvious, easy answer. But besides that, what could they have really done. We have so many small camps of people who advocate different kinds of gaming via Dark Forces, it's ridiculous.

Ever since "The Split", or when the ominous 1.03 patch came out, everyone finally revealed their true colors about what the game should be about, and no one could agree on anything. To this day, everything stands as is. No one agrees, cvars abound, no one plays the same game. Too bad I guess.

On the other hand, I've given up trying to argue one way or the other. This community definitely doesn't have ONE direction.

The competitive players wanted to maintain the status quo. they enjoy the game of precision. Of course, their idea of precision is being able to use a whole slew of techniques at precise, yet incredibly rapid speeds and times. Grip/Kick, Pull throw, drain... all of it combination to kill. The n00b who cannot, or does not want to, play a game of mouse/keyboard coordination plus timing game, will never win in this world.

then there are other gamers who appreciate the super high damage, bump and die style gaming. I confess, I'm all for this type of play. Of course, it gets argued over and over again by the "true pros" the bump and grind is the evil of all gaming and should be left to die. On the other hand, I am of the proponent that enjoys a game where even the smallest of creatures can prove deadly, even by accident. To me, it resembles a healthier slice of life... it's true in reality that even the weakest, if given the right tools, can be dangerous. It's a different kind of stradegy, one that doesn't appreciate mistakes or error. True, it may not be the "precision" that everyone enjoys, but the precision is there. Instead of having to master insane combos... you must become the master of simply predicting the moves of your opponents... even the most insignificant ones. That's assuming, of course, that you're playing people that actually pay attention to what their doing, rather than just holding down fire key. But even then, you have to figure out how to consistenly take out even the wild and crazies. It's different, but certainly not skilless.

In the end, there is probably no point in continuing the discussion. We're clear on what everyone wants. I want Promod, tourney players want 1.04 JA style, and others want some other crazy stuff with wiffle bats. I hate wiffle bats, I prefer near insta to instagib play.

Hopefully the SDK comes out soon. I'm certain that a simple "patch" will never satisfy anyone. We just can't along... unfortunately. What will come will come.

Archived