Home

Check This out

IG-64

How would you like this to have been Star Wars?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like this to have been Star Wars?

• Yea! It's AWSOME!
    • No way! That would be horrible!
    • I don't really care...
    • Yoda

I know most of you are too young to remember it, but when the Original Trilogy were all released, there was no PG-13. As a result, there are older movies I see now that were PG and should have been PG-13, and ones that were R that should have beeen PG-13. The Star Wars you talk about might very well have been an R-rated movie.

Point is - the Star Wars phenomenon, without which so much of the modern film Industry (caps intended) would not exist, is built on the backs of early teen boys. Kids like me who saw Star Wars a dozen times, and ate up whatever junk we could get with the SW logo on it.

And, from a selfish standpoint, I enjoy being able to share these movies with my kids. They are still too young (in my wife's amd my opinion) to see PG-13 movies.

Mike

No, I don't think it would've been a good idea.

People were more squeamish about gore in movies back then. If A New Hope was a gory movie it wouldn't have gotten the huge fan base it enjoys now, since its first avid fans were children (and many of the fans today are children, hence there will never be excessive gore in the movies, so don't hold your breath for blood and gore in Episode III). And if it hadn't gotten the huge fan base, there would probably never have been any sequels/prequels, video games, novels, figurines, etc. I know I wouldn't have been a Star Wars geek like I am. Oh sure, it would have had a cult following like practically every movie does, but it'd be a following for just one movie released in 1977. Bleh.

There is some gore in A New Hope (Ponda Bobba's severed arm), but it was only shown for a second or so and is tame by today's standards. Lucas knew better than to push his luck too far.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

People were more squeamish about gore in movies back then.

Not necessarily (sorry, I don't know how old you are, I was 11 in 1977 when SW came out). People were more particular about having their kids see that level of gore. Remember - this is the same time period when the *real* modern horror flicks came out - I still remember seeing Halloween and having the sh*t scared out of me. But at that time we were just before the onslaught of non-bloody violence that ended up creating the PG-13 rating. It was one of Arnold's films where the PG rating and 150+ body count caused an outrage for whackos like the Moral Majority (weren't we talking about overly vocal minorities in another thread?) - and finally ended up splitting the PG rating system. But Star Wars flicks have always been solid PG movies - there is a reason no one in my son's first grade was dressed as Neo, but several are still Anakin.

If A New Hope was a gory movie it wouldn't have gotten the huge fan base it enjoys now, since its first avid fans were children
That I agree with. An R-rated Star Wars would not have done what the PG rated Star Wars did.

Well, you would know better than me, txa. I'm 17, so I'm not exactly an expert at movie history in the 1970's. ;) Still, it sounds like people raised a stink about certain violent movies, something anyone hardly ever hears about nowadays.

I know that if Star Wars was bloody/gory, I would've freaked out. (I was only about 8 or 9 years old when I first saw Star Wars) I probably would never have been a fan.

Archived