Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Success!

With melee weapons, an upgradevalue of 0 means they cannot be upgraded, 1 means they can be upgraded (edge, grip) and 2+ means they are fully upgradeable. A little experimentation should reveal the values for armour/ranged weapons. Thank you for your help everybody, I'd never have got this far without it!

Originally posted by JamieKirby

I downloaded the only version on his site unless he has it unlisted.

There is no bugfix there at all.

This is really peeing me off right now

if there is a newer version then this:

v1.0.1880.29681 (2005-02-24)

It isn't listed on his site.

Did you download it just then? If not, do so. I had this exact problem, and it was fixed by redownloading and reinstalling Kotor Tool.

@ JamieKirby

Please, have some more respect for Fred! He is doing this out of his free time. Without him, this community would (or would barely exist) not exist.Kotor tool has and continues to provide enjoyment to many people. He'll fix the bugs in time.

..and instead of doulbe posting, you can edit your previous post.

if there is a newer version then this:

v1.0.1880.29681 (2005-02-24)

It isn't listed on his site.

No, that is the latest version.

Fred is working hard on a newer version that has several fixes included, just follow his posts on what is being worked on.

As with anyone else that uses this fine tool, all we can ask for is a little patience and constructive trouble-shooting to aid Fred.

Considering I've yet to see anyone else even start on developing their own KotOR Tool, and the fact that Fred doesn't charge a dime for it... I'd ask from here on out that everyone restrain from petty "bitching and moaning" and offer Fred just the straight facts and provide him with details when he asks for them.

Considering KT has always been a WIP, we can't and shouldn't expect perfection with the first or even subsequent releases. TSL pretty much proved that point :rolleyes: Give him some time and I'm quite sure you'll be nothing short of pleased... :)

If this post has 'miffed' anyone, I truly apologize. I have a PM box that can be utilized to vent your rage... but let's try not to clutter this thread with bickering and re-buttals...

i did not mean any dis-respect, infact i think the Kotor I only version was great.

I have the only version on his site, which is: v1.0.1880.29681

and that is the only one on his site.

I am just getting frustrated that i have said numerous times that i have the latest version and they still say, get the latest version from his site (which i downloaded 4 times.....make that 5 times)and its the same old chitin.key corrupted error.

installing it is basicly automated, i just let it pick a spot to install and ran it, it automaticly had Kotor II location set in and i clicked ok. (then the error comes up)

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

No, that is the latest version.

Fred is working hard on a newer version that has several fixes included, just follow his posts on what is being worked on.

As with anyone else that uses this fine tool, all we can ask for is a little patience and constructive trouble-shooting to aid Fred.

Considering I've yet to see anyone else even start on developing their own KotOR Tool, and the fact that Fred doesn't charge a dime for it... I'd ask from here on out that everyone restrain from petty "bitching and moaning" and offer Fred just the straight facts and provide him with details when he asks for them.

Considering KT has always been a WIP, we can't and shouldn't expect perfection with the first or even subsequent releases. TSL pretty much proved that point :rolleyes: Give him some time and I'm quite sure you'll be nothing short of pleased... :)

If this post has 'miffed' anyone, I truly apologize. I have a PM box that can be utilized to vent your rage... but let's try not to clutter this thread with bickering and re-buttals...

I would understand and wait if this was a bug that hasn't been fixed, but some people have said that it has already been fixed and that i should get the *new* *NEW* version....so there is no such fix yet?

if not, sorry for bitching.....well, i will use the Kotor I only version for now, it works with no problems.

EDIT: Oops, i forgot about the edit thing, sorry. :/

I would understand and wait if this was a bug that hasn't been fixed, but some people have said that it has already been fixed and that i should get the *new* *NEW* version....so there is no such fix yet?

if not, sorry for bitching.....well, i will use the Kotor I only version for now, it works with no problems.

EDIT: Oops, i forgot about the edit thing, sorry. :/

It's quite allright, I can understand the frustration... and as I said I apologize if I made you mad...

Question. Do you have KotOR and TSL installed, or just TSL?

If it's just TSL, some have said that their KotOR I paths are left blank (since it's not installed). This tends to cause the error message. Fill the empty paths with the paths leading to TSL's and see if that might help...

Goto File > Manage Paths

Click the SW: KotOR Tab and try these entries (if you haven't already):

KotOR root path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2

chitin.key path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\chitin.key

data path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\data

module path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\modules

texture pack: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\texturePacks

rims path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\rims

This assumes you installed TSL in the "Defualt" paths, otherwise add paths accordingly... :)

I'll cross my fingers for you ;)

same thing.

Chitin.key is corrupted, reinstalling the game will fix this problem. lol

Well, i also can't seem to get the nice glow to work on my ATI card.

I have 5.1 and using the 'atioglxx.dll' file from 4.3 and it just goes to a blank screen and stays there.

Oh well, i guess ATI ain't gonna fix it....i just gotta live with no cute glows.

(this happens on both Kotor I and Kotor II

Greetings dudes,

I am here due to my inexperience with Kotor tool. I have gotten this software some time ago, but could never figure out how to work it. When I try to edit bif files (orig. Kotor) it asks where should I save them. What does this have to do with anything? Also, how do you extract and edit skin files?

Any assistance will be appreciated. Many thanks, live long and prosper.

Lol, i found a funny little bug.

Let's say that you want to add a couple of items on a body or into a container. You open the container.utp and click on the inventory. Now, you can add items and everything, but you can't save what you've done, because there's no OK button. The only thing you can do is close the window and lose everything.

Originally posted by SpaceAlex

Lol, i found a funny little bug.

Let's say that you want to add a couple of items on a body or into a container. You open the container.utp and click on the inventory. Now, you can add items and everything, but you can't save what you've done, because there's no OK button. The only thing you can do is close the window and lose everything.

Someone else mentioned that about 15 posts ago (earlier today, actually) and I fixed it at lunch time. I have a number of other things that have been fixed and a few more to do before the next release rolls out.

As I have said in the past, and now for the benefit of those with under 100 posts <grin>, working on a tool of this complexity in a professional environment would result in one release every 3-6 months. Bugs or not, you'd have to wait. The flip side is that you can have new features and fixes more often, but not everything will be fixed in a given release, and some new bugs may even creep in.

It takes a *long* time to do a complete set of regression tests on a piece of software like Kotor Tool, so I forgo doing them in favor of smaller unit tests. Sometimes little things slip by, like the crazy button-movement in the Inventory editor.

Know as well, that I write code 8-10 hours a day as my primary job, then spend several more hours in the evening, sometimes until 2:00 AM, working on Kotor Tool. It is hard to get everything 100% right when you get 6 hours of sleep! :) I haven't even had the time to play KotOR II (thanks, ChAiNz.2da!) more than 1.5 hours yet. All of my free time has gone into making a new version of Kotor Tool available to my friends here in this community. Heck, I haven't even been to the movies since I started the first Kotor Tool back around December 2003! No time!

As Darth333 and ChAiNz.2da mentioned, I do this for free. I now have 511 hours invested in Kotor Tool, and even with the kind and generous donations, if you calculated an hourly rate, it would be indeed less that US $1/hr. :D Tools that do far simpler stuff, like set your PC's clock to match an atomic standard, charge a shareware fee. I don't; the donations folks make allow me to avoid the side jobs needed to pay bills, replace failed hard drives, and other such stuff. So... think about it....

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

As I have said in the past, and now for the benefit of those with under 100 posts <grin>, working on a tool of this complexity in a professional environment would result in one release every 3-6 months. Bugs or not, you'd have to wait. The flip side is that you can have new features and fixes more often, but not everything will be fixed in a given release, and some new bugs may even creep in.

It takes a *long* time to do a complete set of regression tests on a piece of software like Kotor Tool, so I forgo doing them in favor of smaller unit tests. Sometimes little things slip by, like the crazy button-movement in the Inventory editor.

Know as well, that I write code 8-10 hours a day as my primary job, then spend several more hours in the evening, sometimes until 2:00 AM, working on Kotor Tool. It is hard to get everything 100% right when you get 6 hours of sleep! :) I haven't even had the time to play KotOR II (thanks, ChAiNz.2da!) more than 1.5 hours yet. All of my free time has gone into making a new version of Kotor Tool available to my friends here in this community. Heck, I haven't even been to the movies since I started the first Kotor Tool back around December 2003! No time!

As Darth333 and ChAiNz.2da mentioned, I do this for free. I now have 511 hours invested in Kotor Tool, and even with the kind and generous donations, if you calculated an hourly rate, it would be indeed less that US $1/hr. :D Tools that do far simpler stuff, like set your PC's clock to match an atomic standard, charge a shareware fee. I don't; the donations folks make allow me to avoid the side jobs needed to pay bills, replace failed hard drives, and other such stuff. So... think about it....

I appreciate what you're doing. I know people can be pretty demanding about things. It's hard to make everyone happy, but you're being very successful at it.

It's kinda amazing really that you do all this on your own. I know how much time a project like this takes. Know that i never thought that you are incapable or not very good at doing this just because there are a few minor bugs. I personally think you're doing a wonderful job reducing the bugs to minimum, especially because i know that you probably don't have 30 computers and 30 testers who would test the program before you release it. You have to do this all by yourself and that's something i can respect.

I think that you should just stop working on KT for a few days or weeks and play the game and go to the movies. You more than deserve it. Resume your work when you feel like you want it to. Don't mind us. We can wait. Well, maybe you can release one more version if you want to before you go, but that's it. :D No really. You'll enjoy your work a lot better if you take some time off. Trust me.

As for the donations. I would gladly donate some money, but PayPal is not avaible for my country. Maybe i can send it to you in an envelope if you want to. :p

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.1885.28829 (2005-02-28)

Features/updates:

• Fixed Bug in GlobalVar.res editor launcher
  • Fixed baseitems.2da loading in Item editor
  • Fixed Inventory editor buttons
  • Fixed bug in GFF struct index handling
  • Enter key now opens selected node in treeview, just like mouse double-click

Originally posted by DarthSmallz

Hmm.....I downloaded it from your site, but it does not say I have the right version?:confused:

Take a screenshot of what you're seeing and send it to me.

Another thing to try is just uninstall the current version and install the new one; I have been having trouble with InstallShield's upgrade function these last 4-5 releases.

All I need is for you to do an Alt+Print Screen (capture current window to clipboard) then open up Paint (Start | Programs | Accessories | Paint) and paste it in, and finally save as a .bmp file and email it to me.

I'm not sure why you would need to do a TPC->TGA conversion for that... :lol:

Archived