Home

JA not so 'dead'

txa1265

When JA came out I was ecstatic that lucasarts had finally made a game where you start with a saber (yes! yes! - Just out of curiosity, do you start with one in MOTS? I never played that game, so I don't know.) Now if they'll make one where you start with force powers, I'll be really happy.

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned, JA has everything JO had and more. It was perhaps a little dissapointing that it doesn't focus as much on Kyle anymore, but then again, Kyle deserves a rest. After all, he's been runnin' and gunnin' for years. Even before he grew a beard.

Don't get me wrong now, I still love JO. As a matter of fact, I have all the DF games except MOTS and I still play them all every once in a while.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is... JA ROCKS BABY, YEAH!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or have the guns in JA become less powerful? Also, the rate of fire seems to be slower as well. For example, in JO it seemed like 2-3 secondary hits from the flecette (sp) / repeater would take a person out. Now it seems like 4 or 5? And why did they mess with the sniper rifle. I loved that gun in JO :( Also pushing back projectiles like rockets is weird now. In JO it went right back at the person. Now they kind of wander off in a different direction not even close to its orgin. I dunno, I just think that JA changed too much in that respect. And the old kick.... How I miss it. I think that would make a valuable counter to a single saberist in JA against duel saberists. I guess I have to join [ASJN] Balboa and play UT'04 to get my gunning in. JO will still always have a place on my hard drive though.

Well, certain things were nerfed so to speak, in gunning for balance reasons I think.

I remember in JK2, certain people got really adept at anticipating the timing of your shot, and pushing at just the right moment to give that person a rocket, pistol shot or repeater orb to the face. Think they altered it by making the projectile push off in a random direction like you noticed. Although it's still possible to push directly into the shooter, its a lot less frequent.

As for the disrupter, one needs to look no further than watching Nutri or Screamin in a FFA Yavin game in JK2. That was a thing of beauty and sheer terror.

You're right yolkboy, they have changed the guns a bit. Most of them are far less powerful, but they can still be effective. For instance, the disruptor can still kill in one shot - it just has to be a head shot.

I think it's funny that when you push a projectile back it's not as accurate; because several times i've pushed one back and it hit someone else (I.E. it hit a trooper, but not the one that fired it.) Everytime that happens, I laugh.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

If euro is crap, try US. I sometimes play on Euro servers, and they are all fine. Also try using All seeing Eye, download it at their site.

SITE

I have serveral game browsers, including ase. I get pings like 200+ on US Servers, that's unplayable, even 100+ is not acceptable. Anyway I play ff/all weapons only. With this setup you won't find many servers in ase.

I believe ghoul2 is still around. You have to enable it on the server end to enable locational damage. It's got other side effects, so play with your server.cfg file to get damages how you like. YMMV.

Here's my take on JA's v JO. People got JA expecting JO + fancy stuff like the dual and staff stances. It's there, but it seems like it was just slapped onto the game. Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy JA. The majority of folks in my little corner of the community transitioned to JA, but it was slow. People are set in their ways. Human nature and all. :)

btw: whatup Kurgan. How ya been?

Originally posted by yolkboy

Is it me or have the guns in JA become less powerful? Also, the rate of fire seems to be slower as well.

I don't know about the other guns, but the new pistol's rate of fire is half that of the Bryar (according to the JA source code).

Originally posted by yolkboy

Also pushing back projectiles like rockets is weird now. In JO it went right back at the person. Now they kind of wander off in a different direction not even close to its orgin. I dunno, I just think that JA changed too much in that respect. And the old kick.... How I miss it.

There is a bug in the Linux dedicated server (which is what most hosted servers are running) that causes pushed rockets to always go in the same direction relative to the map, instead of in the direction that you pushed.

There is a mod that fixes that bug that I am running on both my CTF and FFA servers http://www.pcgamemods.com/4101/

If you are running a Linux-hosted basejka server I recommend running this mod. Everything else is unchanged (basejka).

xMod 2.6 and I believe JA + 1.9 have incorporated this bugfix. Both also have flipkicks.

I havent played JA, or any Star Wars game since they cancelled Sam and Max 2. A little boycott. I actually havent even come to this site since then either. I realize one person not playing isnt going to make a difference, but it makes a difference to my conscience. I cant play a game or support a company as crooked as Lucas Arts or George Lucas him self.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Yeah but then one can't enjoy Siege or Asteroids can one?

I can't enjoy Siege at all because every Siege server around is hosted in the US which makes my ping soar over 200+. And when I join a UK one it's crap because theres only around 3 players in it.

Oh and Asteroids? Erm. What the heck is that? I would try it out but I need to get my JA back off my friend. All it seems like is flying but with a few extra models and some asteroids in space to me.

Originally posted by Michaelmexp

I can't enjoy Siege at all because every Siege server around is hosted in the US which makes my ping soar over 200+. And when I join a UK one it's crap because theres only around 3 players in it.

Maybe all of us UKers should arrange to invade a UK server on a particular day of the week, to boost the numbers. Just post a thread for when you want a UK-meet on a UK-server, and I, for one, will try to get on that day (evenings are better for me). ;)

Asteroids is a mod created with the help of two Raven employees and a top vehicle editor from the community.

Basically it refines and streamlines and improves the space combat experience.

So compared to KOTOR Flight School it has more room to fly, it's more balanced, the ships are a bit easier to control and it's pretty. Plus it has a few new ships.

It ALSO includes an improved versions of Siege Destroyer (which of course was also made by Raven and released unofficially since it wasn't done when the game was first released). This improved version takes advantage of the improvements of Asteroids plus makes it more challenging and adds another new ship you can use.

So Asteroids is definately worth it. It has some stuff that no other space combat mod had prior, like unique ship shapes on the radar, projected targetting, in-game hyperspace effects, and actual attempts at balancing ships. Plus Destroyer is the first Siege to incorporate new vehicles (the ships).

Archived