Home

The Chronicles of Groovy's Internet Connections

Darth Groovy

Yesterday around 3am my high speed internet crapped out. Nothing strange, happens about 2-3 times a week in this house. The problem usually gets resolved, by unplugging the router and modem for a while, then plugging them back in. Today that didn't solve the problem. After a lengthy tech support call, my dad discovered it was our router. So I went an got a new one, ran through the instillation disc....nothing. Then my sister informed me, that we don't use a router, we use a switch.....thanks for the info....

I don't have another switch, don't know where to get one, so i'm using dial up for now...and that sucks...

Anyways, I won't be quite as active until I get this problem solved, and in this house it could take years....seriously.

I won't be posting in here much, because LF is one of those things that loads WAAAAAAAAY too slow on a 56k connection, and I just don't have the time to spare.

Hopefully I won't be gone long, but if I am, Jed, Obi, or one of the other supermods/admin will have to take care of your needs and concerns.

Until then, take care. Don't miss me too much. ;)

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

....I won't be posting in here much, because LF is one of those things that loads WAAAAAAAAY too slow on a 56k connection, and I just don't have the time to spare.

Until then, take care. Don't miss me too much. ;)

oh, excuse us paupers who have to live with dialup. I dont find any probs, unless youre trying to get huge images up(like when ppl post their desktops), and IGs extravagant sigs(like he has done for mike and bremen).... apart from that I dont see what the big deal is....

ass for the miss you part..... he he he ...

*wipes crocodile tears from eyes* :p

mtfbwya

Hopefully I won't be gone long, but if I am, Jed, Obi, or one of the other supermods/admin will have to take care of your needs and concerns.

You are a saddistic bastard.

Hope you can get a new router soon. I'm getting kinda the same problem, my internet craps out every few weeks for a week(lucky me, this was the week...) and so it's uber slow, I can't play ANY games at all(it's not light ~150 ping, that I can handle ok. It's jumping between 100 and 500..:(). And I have a switich too...o.O

I won't be posting in here much, because LF is one of those things that loads WAAAAAAAAY too slow on a 56k connection, and I just don't have the time to spare.

I've pretty much ALWAYS posted and viewed LF with a dial up connection, except when I happen to have free time at the computer in school. If you disable sigs, then it saves page loading time.

So stop yer whining! :xp: I've always had dial up...

Originally posted by InsaneSith

I know what groovy means, broadband is like crack, you get it and it's good, you lose it and you start to get the shakes and you foam from the mouth. And you start to touch yourself, and not in the fun way.

:lol:

exactly

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Thank you sir, may I have another?

But of course!

*beats Sith like a redheaded stepchild*

Ok, did some extensive trouble shooting today, even went so far as to investigate other connection options. Such as dsl, but the upload is a downfall, that would effect my web design education. Also called Comcast and found out that they only home network with wireless connections, which we do not need or want, plust that costs about $200 which we just can't and do NOT want to spend.

Here is a break down. Our wiring is fine. The cable modem is fine. The computers are talking to each other...fine. The computers would talk to the router, but the router does not recognize the internet. The switch is toast. Even though all the lights are green, nothing works.

So after failure to get the router to work, I took it back to Circuit City. I did some investigating on newegg.com, and found a 5 port switch for 34.99. Not QUITE sure if this is what I need, or even if this will make it work. Bestbuy.com had the same switch for 26.99: clickie here

So I don't know if this will fix the problem. Have any of you worked with a switch vs a router? Do I need to do anything special other than just plug it iin? Will this fix my problem? Best Buy has a crappy return policy, and I don't want to be up all damn night yelling at the thing if it doesn't work. Any help here would be great.

I miss my CoD buddies in clan [echo], UT2K4, and I can't play XBOX Live. I just got NHL 2K3 today, and was all exited, but forgot I have no broadband connection. This is just terrible.... :cry7:

Best Buy has a crappy return policy, and I don't want to be up all damn night yelling at the thing if it doesn't work. Any help here would be great.

Yes, yes we do :(

As for your question, does your ISP make house calls?

I'd try that before I buy the router, specily if it was from us >_>

BUt hey, don't listen to me, I'm still stuck in the stone age. NOt by choice mind you...

They DO make house calls but they cost plenty, and there is no guarantee that they will resolve the problem. The salesman on the phone told me that all they will do is install everything wireless and charge me $200. Niether my dad, nor myself are going to go for that. Ever.

Well that sucks you gotta pay, you are the customer, they should try to do everything in their power to keep you with them.

Poor conglomorate bastards. Well maybe that's an oxymoron

Hmm I wish I knew how to help you, but if I knew I would also be very happy, because I would have one too :emodanc:

If getting a new ISP was an option I would have done it years ago. Unfortunately at the time of install, AT&T was our ISP, then Comcast bought them out, and it's been pure monopoly style hell ever since. If I want broadband, they are the ONLY provider in the area.

Well, I hope you get it all sorted out, and make your return (have you actually left? :D ) soon. Some of the staff here are...Some are alright. Some are just pretty cool. Not trying to brown-nose, but you fall into the cool part. You Al Jourgensen fan, you. So get yer ass back with the quickness.

Archived