Home

Rain Song

Skinkie

So there's been a few thunder storms around here lately and it's got me thinking, what song/album to you think is the most suiting to listen to when it's raining.

I have to go with the Styx album Crystal Ball, more specifically the last track Claire de Lune/Ballerina. To me it just captures the feel of the storm better than any others.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would have to say Travis and their 'The Man Who' album.

firstly for the fitting ‘Why Does It Always Rain On Me?’ but also for ‘Driftwood’ and ‘Turn’ very suitable songs for when you’re watching the rain from your bedroom window.

Dire Straits - It Never Rains

The Who - Love, Reign O'er Me

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

Queensryche - Another Rainy Night (Without You)

Aerosmith - Lightning Strikes

Allman Brothers - Stormy Monday

CCR - Who'll Stop The Rain?

And for that certain crowd who might just appriciate it...

Weather Girls - It's Raining Men (Halleluja!) :dozey:

Originally posted by JofaGuht

Wait, are we talking about great songs to listen to while its raining, like adding an ambiance, or songs about raining?

Either/ Or...

I just happened to go with a "Rainy Day Mix Tape" theme.

It was easier than trying to figure out what I might be listening to when it rains otherwise.

After the events of last week (lightning taking out part of my computer system, including my PC speakers... Full story here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131304 ) I'm probably not going to be listening to anything when the weather turns foul since all my electronics are going to be unplugged at the first sound of thunder.

Originally posted by Das Mole

dip it low- christina milian

this song is good anytime.

Um...

what? it is good anytime...no matter what the circumstance.

you could be the most depressed person in the world, and this song would be good.

you could be the happiest person in the world, and this song would be good.

you could be a nun, and this song would be good.

Originally posted by Dr Edison 007

Finally, my taste in music is represented by Edlib!!!

Little known fact: That song was written by Late Night with David Letterman band leader Paul Schaffer. Who knew...

There are a couple of sure-fire ways to have a song produce royalty money for you for life:

1.) Write or record a catchy Christmas song. Every year your song will be played a zillion times on the radio, TV, CD compilations, and in the malls. Instant money without ever having to do anything ever again in your life except get off your butt once in a while and go to the mailbox to pick up your checks and cash them.

2.) Same as above,.. but instead of a holiday themed song, write a song that's sure to be played at every Gay-Pride function in the world until the end of time.

As far as I know Paul Schaffer has never written a big Christmas hit... :dozey:

Originally posted by Das Mole

:¬:

why isn't it a good song?

Sooo many reasons.

And edlib, did you get that christmas song thing from About a Boy? And if you thought about it, catchy or not, how much money could one broadcast of the song bring in to collectively make it worth a living?

I had to take a Music Business class as part of my major in college.

I forget the exact numbers, and they've probably changed a bit since I was in school anyway,.. but songwriter's publishing royalties can be enough to retire on if the song is a hit and has steady play once off the charts. The Song "Yesterday" alone brings in several tens of millions of dollars a year to Paul McCartney and the estate of John Lennon (each.)

Each time the song is played in public (like a Christmas carol over a mall P.A.) a royalty payment is due to the songwriter. And every time someone re-records the song on another album, the songwriter gets a cut of each copy of the album with that song on it sold, plus all the additional playings of that new recording on radio, TV, and public spaces. Since every big pop star eventually records a Christmas CD with pretty much all the same songs on it (most are in the public domain now) the composers of those songs and thier publishing companies, or the copyright holders stand to make a small killing in the last quarter of every year if the song is popular.

These payments are small on thier own, but with repeated playings in many, many malls it can really add up.

Here's a good site that I've found that kind of explains all of this in a pretty easy-to-understand language if you are really interested:

http://www.ultimatesongwriting.com/music-royalties.html

Archived