82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer as a sith?

• Count Dooku ( Darth Tyranus) EPII, III
    • Darth Maul EP1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by legowar

Darth Maul had to face 2 extremely good Jedi, while Dooku only faced 1 really good Jedi. Also Maul actually could kill one of the better masters even though he was an apprentice. So overall, Maul was better!

:darth:

Obi-wan killed Maul..but could not defeat Dooku on his own and would have died if Anakin were not there

so between Obi and Yoda that makes (2) powerful Jedi that he took on and survived.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wait, Dooku (Tyrannus) doesn't count as a sith because he wasn't "natural born" as a sith?

Nonesense. If that's true, then we can't talk about Anakin/Vader either, since he wasn't a "natural born sith" either!

The only "pure Sith" we've ever seen according to the movies were Maul and Sideous/Palpatine.

And if you want to get technical the original sith (according to the TPM novelisation, which would include the famous Darth Bane) were not naturally born Sith either, but renegade ("Dark") Jedi!

Sure we had "natural born sith" from that point on.

The whole thing about the "lost 20" must not count the Jedi who left the Order to become Sith 2,000 years before TPM though. That would mean that less than 20 individuals (according to the novelisation of AOTC Dooku is among one of those 20) threatened the galaxy and started a 1,000 year war with the Jedi Order. Yeah right!

The whole "Sith are a species" thing is only C-Level canon, also. It doesn't gel with the G-Level TPM novelisation. One possible retcon I've heard is that the 2,000 year old Sith Order from the TPM novelisation was just a "revival" of more ancient teachings that originally came from the EU explanation of the Sith (the red skinned aliens who were conquered by Dark Jedi a million years ago or whatever), thus salvaging part of the stuff written before the prequels.

To me, the title "Tales of the Jedi" even implies that these stories are more legend than fact (think Tales of King Arthur and his Knights). Who cares if they got a few details wrong?

Originally posted by legowar

I think that Maul would be considered a better sith. Just because Dooku lived, doesn't mean he's better. And the only reason he almost killed Anakin was because Anakin was a pushover as a Jedi. Darth Maul had to face 2 extremely good Jedi, while Dooku only faced 1 really good Jedi. Also Maul actually could kill one of the better masters even though he was an apprentice. So overall, Maul was better!

:darth:

This doesn't quite make sense. Maul faced "two really good Jedi"? One of those "really good Jedi" was Obi-Wan.

Dooku fought Obi-Wan as well if you remember. Who was the "1 really good Jedi" he fought? I assume you meant Yoda. Dooku fought Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan, he just didn't fight two Jedi at the exact same time like Maul did for awhile.

Also, Dooku had to escape the fight because he couldn't beat Yoda. He was surely getting tired after having fought his third Jedi in a row. Maul got killed by a Padawan.

If Obi-Wan was a "good Jedi" when he was a Padawan, what does that make him when he's a Knight?

We'd have to suspend disbelief anyway, because Dooku couldn't kill Yoda or Obi-Wan since they are still alive 20+ years later in the OT. And we could argue he didn't kill Anakin because Palpatine had plans for him (he could only teach him a lesson). Dooku was about to kill Obi-Wan until Anakin got in the way.

Anyway, just pointing out what I saw as a flaw in your reasoning. I'm not saying that Dooku would beat Maul necessarily (though I'd put my money on Dooku winning if it came down to them at the levels we see them in the movies), but you get the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Dooku survived for two episodes.

If you don't want episode III spoiled, then don't read the following:

According to the comic, Dooku dies in ep III

Edit: Learn to use the spoiler tag next time, it's much better. Scrolling down doesn't help because in a long thread people will have to scroll past it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
But Tyranus was more influential than Maul...

That probably had something to do with him living a good few years more than him. It's funny how it could be construed that the entire Star Wars saga is dedicated to Darth Sidious attempting to find a replacement for Darth Maul.

Darth Maul seems bred for the Sith apprentice role, only one mistake against one of the greatest Jedi of all time (Padawan or not) had him cut down. In an alternate SW universe, far, far away Darth Maul rules the galaxy. <3

If you want to get technical, Vader was the last of the Sith. ;)

And as for that EU stuff about the origin of the Sith, I say forget it. The first "Sith" were fallen Jedi Knights. If you mean "pure Sith" (who were never Jedi) then Palpatine would be the last of those. We see exactly four Sith in the canon films. Two were former Jedi, two were never Jedi.

I agree that Dooku would win, all else being equal. Maul may have been a showy fighter, but Dooku's powers seem far beyond his, as demonstrated.

As for who was the "Better apprentice" I guess it depends on what you mean by that. Both men were sent to their deaths by their Master. Both died at the hands of Jedi. We see Dooku scheming against his master (or was it just an act?), and he seemed more of the intelligent type, rather than just a warrior out for "revenge." Dooku seems mostly after power, so he's more like Palpatine in that regard. Though Palpatine did have some desire for revenge, he too seems to be primarily going for the power angle.

• 1 month later...

Dooku, he is alot faster than maul was with a lightsaber, he was a Sith Lord, and he has force lightning.

Maul was only a sith apprentice, and wasnt all that fast, he could just take two jedi at once, dooku would have destroyed him easily

I liked Maul a lot better. He was way cooler, he had a host of equipment and a huge double-bladed saber. Dooku, or "Dooky" as I affectionately call him :giggle1:, was kind of an "mad idiot bad guy", to me at least. I am not saying he wasn't a good character, I thought that he was well acted and was a great character; he certaintely was more in the story and had a lot more to say than Maul, but still, Maul is my favorite.

Personally I believe that it is Darth Maul. Not just because its his lightsaber, but he moves very fast, and is very quick. If you look at when he is fighting Obi-Wan and Qui-gon, he is moving very swiftly. It also takes alot to weild a double bladed lightsaber. Dooku, is just powerful, slow, and weak and uses the force to do things unlike Maul, who uses his skill.

Actually, I do recall Darth Maul using force push. I think Darth Maul force pushed Obi-Wan over the edge. Though, maybe he kicked him over. Can't remember, and just watched it. :xp: Though I may be wrong.

Count Dooku though beat Obi-Wan and Anakin, oh yeah and Yoda. He mainly used the force. Isn't that if you can master the force, you have a advantage over the enemy. And still Count Dooku had decent lightsaber skills.

Archived