Home

*blubs*

Leper Messiah

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

who's better than Hanks? might be some arguably as good but none better

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp Johnny Depp :D

*is a fanboy*

Forrest Gump was great though :)

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

who's better than Hanks? might be some arguably as good but none better

I love Tom Hanks, but it is still amazing to me as someone who grew up with him as a cheesy comic doing the sitcom 'Bosom Buddies' and 'Bachelor Party', who was assumed to have hit his peak with 'Big' (look what he did right after that - Turner and Hooch? Joe vs. the Volcano? other nonsense?), to then turn around and do Philadelphia ... it was something ...

Mike

Forrest Gump is awesome. No question about it. One of my top ten favorites. I cried when I was smaller. Same impact still, but when it reminds me of something that has died, I always get a tear...:(

And yes, Tom Hanks is awesome. He does some ok movies, and some that really shines through. Private Ryan, Green Mile, Terminal, Apollo 13....

All these sad movies... cept the Terminal, where he is just plain awesome

Tom Hanks is a good actor... but the idea that there are and/or never have been better is a leeeetle far-fetched. Alastair Sim, Paul Newman, Alec Guinness, Cary Grant, Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Harrison Ford, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine... The list of people who are and have been monumentally talented is endless.

Well, you can't really say one actor is better than all others... They did different kinds of movies :rolleyes:
Surely one judges an actor by the quality of his body of work. Hanks has just not turned in enough memorable/inspired performances to be in the same league as the really heavy-hitters.

And even if you WERE correct, we can certainly compare Guinness and Hanks, since they played the same role in their respective Ladykillers'. Hardly a toss-up. ;)

Actors: (in no particular order)

Mel Gibson

Matt Damon

Kevin Spacey

Johnny Depp :D

Tom Hanks

Viggo Mortensen

Edward Norton :D

Denzel Washington (sometimes annoying, but given the right role, this guy rocks)

Actresses: (no order)

Julia Roberts

Natalie Portman (NOT in Star Wars. Watch her in Cold Mountain. A very good actress indeed)

Kiera Knightly

Halle Barry

Many more, but I can't think of 'em right now.

Tom Hawks is a good actor and has been in many great films.

i find it reassuring that no one here has mentioned Robert De Niro when talking about best actors.

i think De Niro is extremely overrated. sure, he does a great gangster or psycho… but that’s it. anything else he does is only carried by his reputation.

Brad Pitt is a good actor. him and Edward Norton are great in fight club. John Cusack is another fine actor. and of course Ewan Mcgregor.

i think James Franco could be 'the next big thing' he was great in spider-man 2.

Originally posted by Sivy

i find it reassuring that no one here has mentioned Robert De Niro when talking about best actors.

i think De Niro is extremely overrated. sure, he does a great gangster or psycho… but that’s it. anything else he does is only carried by his reputation.

it's not his fault he gets typecasted. People overcasted his gangster character. I liked him in Raging Bull and The King of Comedy.

Archived