Home

Homepage?

ZBomber

• 2 weeks later...

Opera and Firefox are a lot more strict when it comes to rendering html than IE is. This is good and bad at the same time. It's good because any well written html document will be displayed how it should be. The bad part is that most page on the net aren't written well and not every site will be displayed properly. The only advantage IE has over these other browsers is the fact that it's very slack when it comes to rendering web pages. But overall Opera and Firefox is better than IE in almost every way. Even so I still use IE cause I'm too used to it, I do have both Firefox and Opera installed for web development purposes but since most people use IE, I use IE to see how most other people see the net.

Anywayz, I have already found that Firefox has some bugs it needs to work out too. Though I think that these "bugs" may be the people who made Firefox trying to herd web developers into using alternative ways of writing their code... though I find it wierd that when the W3C finds the coding valid, Firefox doesn't :dozey:

And jeebus, pho3nix, could your sig be any bigger?

I'll admit that Opera reacts a little strange to some sites, but I've no problem with about 98% of the sites I've encountered.

The problem with them, like Lynk said, is that some sites are not built within the strict HTML guidelines (sites created with Microsoft products like FrontPage are bad for this) and Opera rejects the non-HTML compliant stuff. However, support for CSS has improved. My own website used to not render correctly in Opera, but with the new version it seems fine.

Overall, the security and control that Opera provides far outweighs any complaints I have about not being able to utilize the very few sites only IE can render. Off the top of my head, only GMail and AnthroPlus, an anthropology database, come to mind. But then, I have IE only a mouse click away.

Hell the mouse gestures alone are enough to keep me with Opera! right-click, left-click goes back a page, the opposite goes forward, right-click + mousewheel changes browser windows... etc.

Another cool reason to use Oper (dunno if Firefox is similar) is that most people know what the IE logo looks like and how to open it. If I use Opera at work and bury the shortcut in an unlikely place, most prying eyes will stay off my Web Browsing habits. CTL+H will hide the browser and leave a small "O" in the tray. I use that one ALL THE TIME when the boss walks in :)

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Opera and Firefox are a lot more strict when it comes to rendering html than IE is. This is good and bad at the same time. It's good because any well written html document will be displayed how it should be. The bad part is that most page on the net aren't written well and not every site will be displayed properly. The only advantage IE has over these other browsers is the fact that it's very slack when it comes to rendering web pages. But overall Opera and Firefox is better than IE in almost every way. Even so I still use IE cause I'm too used to it, I do have both Firefox and Opera installed for web development purposes but since most people use IE, I use IE to see how most other people see the net.

Anywayz, I have already found that Firefox has some bugs it needs to work out too. Though I think that these "bugs" may be the people who made Firefox trying to herd web developers into using alternative ways of writing their code... though I find it wierd that when the W3C finds the coding valid, Firefox doesn't :dozey:

And jeebus, pho3nix, could your sig be any bigger?

Ditto. I couldn't agree more. I don't think I could've possibly been mroe pissed when I discovered the way FireFox displayed my sites. It makes you have to ****ing create a whole new style-sheet, not to mention it supports less than 30% of teh JavaScripts I installed on my site. I downloaded it thinking it would be MORE flexible, not make my life harder. Piece a ****...:mad: I only use it to view .png images and a few other things IE can't do.

Archived