Home

Ign Review!!!

GodVegeta1982

I don't know if it's me ( or maybe it's because I just got home from work) but the impression (only an impression - I'll see for myself) I have from that review is that they put more emphasis on combat style, force powers and goodies than on the main storyline. That would be unfortunate because what I really liked about KotOR 1and the reason why I played it more than quite a few times was the great story which was at least as good as the O.T. movies...However, although the review leads me to believe that the main plot could be somewhat shattered (but not too much I guess since the game still scores 9.3! ), there are also new elements such as influence that seem to be really cool and could compensate :)

It seems also the the bosses battles are easier than then final battle with Malak: a result of the level cap removal?

The part concerning loading screens doesn't really bother me: I was never annoyed by the KotOR 1 loading screens on the xbox and on my new PC (Athlon 64 3400 + so it is not a big deal and by the time the PC version comes out, they can make some polishing).

They also mention that the worlds are in general a bit bigger than in KotOR 1 and that's good news for me :)

But a review is only someone else's opinion...and there will always be people to like and dislike....I'll make my own opinion when I play the game (next week!!! :D )

It's going to take some time before you receive your Lightsaber (it took me 17 hours to acquire mine)

Holy lightsaber Batman! How awsome is that!

There's no level cap

Beautiful *sniffle* *tear*

It's 40 hours long and you get different results being Light or Dark, male or female.

Darn Feb. release. 'Force Persuade Obsidian' You want to release it earlier with less bugs!

'Some guy at Obsidian' I want to work overtime and never go home so the PC game can finish asap and be bug-free!:D

The Main thing is that they said the story was excellent (except for the end).

Also, just to add some thoughts, although they did say the end wasn't that tight or good, this is entirely subjunctive. For example, OXM UK said that the story was as good as if not better than the first. We will see more of a consensus as more reviews come out.

I'd wait 'til you get to the actual end before you pass judgement on it (they may have only seen one possible version of it). Plus, I tend to disregard most of their technological complaints, since those kinds of slowdowns and bugs weren't in the PC version, provided your computer was good enough.

Also, since I've dabbled in game reviewing in the past, I also ignore numerical scores, since more often than not, they're tacked on at the end by force. The real points of the review are contained within the article itself.

well, Gamespot will almost certainly give this an 8.8 or something like that. Im kinda disappointed in the review. Framerate and crap like that didn't bother me in KOTOR 1, so it won't be a factor in numero 2. The reason Im disappointed is because they didn't seem too happy with the story line, like it was lacking at the end, and that's a major disappointment for me, the story in KOTOR 1 was what had me hooked, it was like a good book, that I wanted to keep continuing so I'd know what in the blue hell was going on. I'll get it anyways, but that was a bummer to read :(

Im not the only one with that gripe lol

About the storyline, the story behind the characters themselves was very good (or when they start conversations with themselves (Canderous laughing at Bastila's capture by the Vulkan etc) ) but the main storyline was nothing for a movie. Find the 6-8 crystals/holy rods/whatever is typical for a game but unsuitable for a movie.

The main thing I like about KOTOR II is attacking multiple enemies at once, and more combat animations.

Your party, which can hold up to ten other characters, is filled with unreliable members

Awesome, more party members means more replayability... Recently played KOTOR again for the third time with the 2 coolest party members (AK47 and Jolee). etc

9.3 looks very good. God I can't wait

The conversations seem to be improved either, having more options. Just what I wanted. I hope they keep the same (or better) satire as in the original , "Blah blah blah Bastila, don't you get tired of preaching about the darkside", or AK and Jolee's responses in conversations. The fact that they stand still doesn't bother me at all.

Though the worlds may be a bit bigger

the individual sections between loads seems about the same size

Only a bit? Sure KOTOR was well replayable, but after replaying it you noticed how small the maps actually were. Still the gameplay was very long..but i'd appreciate bigger maps.

Loading times didn't bug me.

Originally posted by Darth333

I don't know if it's me ( or maybe it's because I just got home from work) but the impression (only an impression - I'll see for myself) I have from that review is that they put more emphasis on combat style, force powers and goodies than on the main storyline. That would be unfortunate because what I really liked about KotOR 1and the reason why I played it more than quite a few times was the great story which was at least as good as the O.T. movies...

In hindsight, I think that what I really liked about the KOTOR story was the interaction with various NPCs and finding out more about my character and friends, and not quite as much about the whole save the galaxy thing (although that is still a big part obviously). It sounds like KOTOR 2 has even more of the former, so I think I'll be happy...

In any event, it sounds comparable to KOTOR, so it should be fantastic.

The simple fact that he found Malak to be tough makes me wonder if it's a good review...No seriously, I've stopped trusting game reviewers a long time ago. It's mostly personnal opinion.

Like if he says the twist isn't that great doesn't really mean it isn't great for someone else.

I Force persuaded a thug to give me all his credits and jump off a ledge. "You know, if I jump, I'll get to the ground a lot faster," he said right before making the leap. On another occasion, I ran into a Twi'lek who lost his wife in a hand of Pazaak (which returns along with Swoop racing). I offered to help him out and went to the new owner of said wife, who had put the poor green girl to work dancing in the Cantina. I won her back in a nerve-racking Pazaak game. Once won, I was given two options: Return her to her husband or put her back to work, so I could collect her earnings. I think you can guess which one I chose. Oh, it's good to be evil.

Oh man that's nasty.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

The simple fact that he found Malak to be tough makes me wonder if it's a good review...

Indeed. I found Malak to be one of the easier fights. Even though he took a long time to beat, you just repeat the same strategies over and over. I found some of the other fights tougher...

Also, OXM UK said that it "expected that the follow-up [to KOTR] would 'do' an Empire Strikes Back. Well, it not so much 'does' an Empire Strikes Back, as out 'does' it." and that the story is so "devious and delicious" that "I am your father doesn't even come close."

Futhermore, OXM UK says the game "doesn't have the spectacle or rip-roaring adventure of KOTR, but what it lacks in dazzling planets and invention is more than compensated for by the undeniably superior story."

Originally posted by Prime

Indeed. I found Malak to be one of the easier fights. Even though he took a long time to beat, you just repeat the same strategies over and over. I found some of the other fights tougher...

Yup, Malak was a pushover. I had bigger problems out of those damn Tusken Holy Warriors :fist:

That and (although 'unofficial', but 'official' in my games) RedHawke's jacked-up Transdoshans (Weebil & Utiiniis Shop Mod)....I still want to know what RedHawke is feeding those things....ouch.... :hatchrun:

Originally posted by ChAiNz

That and (although 'unofficial', but 'official' in my games) RedHawke's jacked-up Transdoshans (Weebil & Utiiniis Shop Mod)....I still want to know what RedHawke is feeding those things....ouch.... :hatchrun:

Well all my beasties always eat their Wheaties! :D

Originally posted by thebighirt

Also, OXM UK said that it "expected that the follow-up [to KOTR] would 'do' an Empire Strikes Back. Well, it not so much 'does' an Empire Strikes Back, as out 'does' it." and that the story is so "devious and delicious" that "I am your father doesn't even come close."

I am actually looking for Sith Lords to be darker and more of an ESB style than the swashbuckling ANH style the first game was. It would add some variety to the series.

Archived