Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*giggles*

if you saw only the American version of Sailor Moon youre missing out on a heck of a lot of yuri, or so Im told. I never got into the series, but I know alot of other girls that absolutely love the original Japanese version of it. The US version is just to bleh.

Another series I would reccomend to anyone who liked Azumanga Daioh is Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow). its REALLY unbelievably cute and silly. Its only been fansubbed, though Ive heard that its been liscensed by some company... and the manga is just as cute.

I haven't heard of Sailor Moon in a long time. When I first started teaching, that was big with the 2nd and 3rd grade girls.

*falls out of chair laughing*

the sad thing is I used to watch it until it became lame haven't watched it since

*giggles*

if you saw only the American version of Sailor Moon youre missing out on a heck of a lot of yuri, or so Im told. I never got into the series, but I know alot of other girls that absolutely love the original Japanese version of it. The US version is just to bleh.

Another series I would reccomend to anyone who liked Azumanga Daioh is Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow). its REALLY unbelievably cute and silly. Its only been fansubbed, though Ive heard that its been liscensed by some company... and the manga is just as cute.

I'll have to try that

Yamato means "sun".

Battleship Yamato and her sister Musashi are the two largest battleships ever made.

The legendary batlleship was the inspiration for Space Battleship Yamato an old anime. Not Yamamoto.

The World War II Yamamoto you're referring too Aash Li was actually a japanese naval commander named Yamamoto Isoroku. He's the one who planned Pearl Harbor. The Japanese Emperor during the same period was Hirohito.

There was an Emperor by the name of Yamato (later the Yamato family became the ruling dynasty) but that was during the medieval era.

Meh, in the long run its better to buy your anime because then you support your favorite series. The more popular it is, the higher the chance of a new season, sequal, or movie. I really wish they would make another Escaflowne movie. :-\

Yeah, Anime is expensive, but most of the time complete series/seasons come in box sets of sometimes 8 or 9 DVDs. That does cost money.

For example (sorry to keep bringing escaflowne into this, lol) but the 26 episodes of Escaflowne comes on 8 DVDs. It originally costed $200. Amazon has lowered it to $88 or so. Still expensive though. Other places were selling it for around $20, and that sounds to good to be true. Well it was. As a warning to others, you got make sure you know what your buying (especially online, considering thats one of the only places you can find certain anime series) I read the comments and the reason they were so cheap was because they were bootleg. I don't support that, and while I love the series, I would rather pay $88 for a real copy, than $20 for a fake copy. They did a great job with it and deserve the money ;)

They did a great job with it and deserve the money ;)

I buy my anime movies.

However, there's a lot of problem with most anime series when it's imported here in North America. For one, some of them are subject to censorship and are edited and for two, they're pretty overpriced.

A lot of them are also quite rare and hard to come by, making the prices soar.

The anime makers there are heavily under the control of the studios they work for. Not in the way of content but in the name of numbers.

For example, if my serie can be completed in 25 episodes, I can't do that, since the studio wants 50 bloody episodes. Sometimes it's the opposite. Your story is supposed to be told in 50 episodes but you can only make 25.

So sometimes, it's not always a great job.

The Gundam serie for example, seems always stretched. They always have to be 50 episodes long. It's killing it.

Escaflowne also suffered from that. I always felt that the serie could've ended much earlier, with less episode and it would've been much more enjoyable. After a while, I just wished for everyone to all kill each other so it can be over.

One particular moment that comes to mind is in the Evangelion movie when Asuka is trapped underwater and remembers her past or something. We're shown her crying for 5 mins. Not exactly because it was relevent to have her sit in one place forever, but because they needed to fill up some time.

Yeah, Anime is expensive, but most of the time complete series/seasons come in box sets of sometimes 8 or 9 DVDs. That does cost money.

For example (sorry to keep bringing escaflowne into this, lol) but the 26 episodes of Escaflowne comes on 8 DVDs. It originally costed $200. Amazon has lowered it to $88 or so. Still expensive though. Other places were selling it for around $20, and that sounds to good to be true. Well it was. As a warning to others, you got make sure you know what your buying (especially online, considering thats one of the only places you can find certain anime series) I read the comments and the reason they were so cheap was because they were bootleg. I don't support that, and while I love the series, I would rather pay $88 for a real copy, than $20 for a fake copy. They did a great job with it and deserve the money ;)

Star Blazers is far too expensive at an average of $130+ per season. I don't know how many disks come with each season of Star Blazers, but the episodes were only half an hour long. A full season shouldn't take more than 4 disks. Anything more would be wasteful. In contrast, Smallville is one hour each and Season 2 had 23 episodes, but they managed to fit it on a 6 disk set without cutting out the special features and deleted scenes. For the price of one season of Star Blazers, you can buy the "Smallville - The Complete Seasons 1-3" and still have some change left over. I really can't see why Star Blazers costs so much.

Looking at the character designs of Starblazers you can really tell its age. hehe

Well, I guess they do look a little dated, but I think it is only because Anime artists have managed to smooth out the rough edges over the years. The character designs themselves have remained virtually the same for 30+ years (aka "the Formula"). I think the only major difference is the treatment of the nose on the characters. Most of the Star Blazers characters have a fairly detailed nose where more modern Anime characters have little more than a curved line or a shadow beneath the nostrils to indicate the end of it.

Anime isnt as censored as it once was here in teh US. When Sailor Moon came to the US, they hacked up the script and changed the story line... changing it from a nice yuri anime (girl/girl romance)... to the the kiddie-slop they turned it into. About the only thing they change in anime now days is the title (sometimes), and the voice actors.

Some US companies that liscence anime do a very poor job with it, either in terms of voice acting or editing. Or they buy the liscence and then do nothing with it. I cant think of any companies off the top of my head right now, but there are a few.

There are some anime that just wont make it to the US either through lack of interest in the company or other reasons. So the only way to get them in any format that is understandable by a person that doesnt speak Japanese, is a fansubbed version. I for one wouldnt want to set through several episodes translating every bit of the series for a friend as the episode played... not that Im *that* good with Japanese (yet).

But lets not get into that... ^^

Anime isnt as censored as it once was here in teh US. When Sailor Moon came to the US, they hacked up the script and changed the story line... changing it from a nice yuri anime (girl/girl romance)... to the the kiddie-slop they turned it into. About the only thing they change in anime now days is the title (sometimes), and the voice actors.

I never knew that about Sailor Moon... When I was younger I would watch that show all the time, but I lost interest (and I guess I see why now).

If kids got exposed to some girl/girl romance, they might become lesbians and accept homosexuality. And that's not ok in some countries :)

So Sailor Moon is a girl/girl romance hence: Sailor Moon= girl/girl romance

But the US doesn't like girl/girl romance hence: US =/= girl/girl romance

And that's why they changed a lot of stuff...even though they couldn't remove the schoolgirl outfits...

Well they changed them into kissing cousins... how is kissing cousins better than lesbians? lol :p

Oh, and the US needs to get out of the dark ages... =\

I don't have a problem with gay/lesbian people, but I don't think that PDAs (public displays of affection) are acceptable. A peck on the lips isn't a big deal, but all the flamboyant groping and parades need to stop. I wouldn't approve of such things from heterosexuals either. There are some things better left in the bedroom and not aired out in public or on television.

When I first started reading your comment I was like, yeah typical, then I continued reading (I give people a chance to hang themselves first lol), but since you dont like straight people doing it either, Ill leave it alone. hehe

But honestly I agree with you. While I dont mind seeing kissing (as long as its not too involved), I dont mind - no matter who it is. Its when they try and such each others faces off and start feeling each other up, thats when it gets time to haul them off to a motel for the night. I dont think sex is something that is naughty and should be hidden, but then you also should show some restraint as well. Theres a difference between "Aaawww look they are in love!" and "Eeeww!! get a room! Youre not barnyard animals!" lol

I used to watch sailer moon on FOX when I was like 7... I don't remember any of that... O.o

Speaking of editing, lukeiamyourdad, Escaflowne was originally going to be 30 + episodes, due to production problems it was cut to 26. Fox edited it and made it 22 (they cut the first episode!?) The changed its name too, it wasn't called "Escaflowne" it was "Tenku No Escaflowne" I think, which means "The vision of escaflowne"

Oh well. They even changed the focus on the main character(Hitomi), and focused on Van. Fox tried to make it kiddy, and eventually took it off after 9 edited epsiodes (they switched music, chopped episodes, mixed episodes, cut out blood, cut out a little cursing, and removed violent scenes) They wanted to make escaflowne appeal to boys around 7-12 years, but it was too mature (with the romance, love triangles, and epic battles) Voice acting was amazing, and I loved the series. Although, I don't really know what your talking about "wishing it would end" because I never saw it all. When I get a stable job I might shell out $88 for the complete series at amazon, but until then I have the movie :D

Star Blazers is far too expensive at an average of $130+ per season. I don't know how many disks come with each season of Star Blazers, but the episodes were only half an hour long. A full season shouldn't take more than 4 disks. Anything more would be wasteful. In contrast, Smallville is one hour each and Season 2 had 23 episodes, but they managed to fit it on a 6 disk set without cutting out the special features and deleted scenes. For the price of one season of Star Blazers, you can buy the "Smallville - The Complete Seasons 1-3" and still have some change left over. I really can't see why Star Blazers costs so much.

Well, in my case it was 4 episodes, and 30 minutes each on a disk. Two hours per disk. Its actually a waste, since DVDs can hold like 10 GBs of data, and like you said they managed to fit 3 seasons of smallville on 6 disks verses my 26 episodes (one seasons) on eight.

Archived