Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Escaflowne on FOX/YTV by Sheamon

An analysis of the atrocity that is Escaflowne aired on FOX.

Heh, yeah, thats pretty much an article of a dude ranting about it. He seems to be a hard core fan. In fact, I loved it on fox, but in certain place I could tell they had edited it, this site confirmed it.

10 gigs of data? Where are you getting these dvds? All I ever see is 4.7 gigs.

The PS2 uses DVDs, and fits more than 20 GB games on some DVDs. Really high compression rates make this possible, but I think it slows down the reading process. Hey, it beats having 2 different disks you got to keep switching. Stupid EA and gamecube games :(

Reasons like that is why I prefer anime either fansubbed or on dvd, because theirs no "oh lets tottally remake this whole anime so that itll appeal to a group that it wasnt meant for!" going on.

That really should be considered illegal, its really not any different that taking someone elses novel and changing a bunch of things and calling it theres.

Speaking of editing, lukeiamyourdad, Escaflowne was originally going to be 30 + episodes, due to production problems it was cut to 26. Fox edited it and made it 22 (they cut the first episode!?) The changed its name too, it wasn't called "Escaflowne" it was "Tenku No Escaflowne" I think, which means "The vision of escaflowne"

YTV in Canada showed it all. Perhaps with 30+ episodes the story could've been more fleshed out or something so that it simply does become stupid at one point. It's more a personnal opinion on the serie.

That really should be considered illegal, its really not any different that taking someone elses novel and changing a bunch of things and calling it theres.

I think it's very insulting to the original artist who wanted to tell a good story. He sees it hacked into piece so it "can fit what America wants".

It just proves how America can't stand a mature animated serie and is stuck in such an archaic stereotype.

Not to forget that it litterally forces real anime fans toward warez versions in order to get the real thing.

Anyway, back on track... to attempt to not get this long running thread locked...

If you want an *excellent* but also sorta angsty anime, check out Haibane Renmei. Its one of my most favourite animes ever. It's an anime by a very well known artist/writer Abe Yos h i toshi, same person who did Cereal Experaments Lain and NeiA Under 7. Its about the afterlife and angels and loss and love. :D

It *is* on DVD, so go out and buy it... I plan on buying the dvds once I get a steady job. ;)

Edit: lol silly word filters...

• 2 weeks later...
Anime has conventions like small noses and big eyes. It's just that. It doesn't aim for realism.

yeah but most cartoons tend remotely resemble humans in facial features while removing many marks ( scars, pimples wrinkles yada yada yada).

and about your prejudice remark, anime is a traditional art is it not? should it not resemble the only humans the asians who created it knew about?

and besides they dont even look like any other race :)

yeah but most cartoons tend remotely resemble humans in facial features while removing many marks ( scars, pimples wrinkles yada yada yada).

This: http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/nov04/cbrown112304.jpg

Doesn't look like humans.

and about your prejudice remark, anime is a traditional art is it not? should it not resemble the only humans the asians who created it knew about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

Traditional japanese painting:

http://www.eastwestart.com.au/images/Japanese-Print.jpg

*looks at thread title* Oh oh oh oh! I like anime!! Can you tell? XD

I'll pretend I know what we're talking about and just jump straight into it...

Animation can look like whatever you want it to look like. That's the beauty of it, you don't have to put all the worldly details into it if you don't want to, and you don't have to conform by any standards if you don't want to. As long as someone gets what it's about then it's all good.

*looks at thread title* Oh oh oh oh! I like anime!! Can you tell? XD

I'll pretend I know what we're talking about and just jump straight into it...

Animation can look like whatever you want it to look like. That's the beauty of it, you don't have to put all the worldly details into it if you don't want to, and you don't have to conform by any standards if you don't want to. As long as someone gets what it's about then it's all good.

*pokes* you don't belong to anime-forums.com do you aka A4

Anime has conventions like small noses and big eyes. It's just that. It doesn't aim for realism.

It's a bit stereotypical to assume that asian people only draw asian characters :dozey:

Instead, it has become a stereotype in and of itself. And as for an aim at realism, I have always found it curious that anime backgrounds seem so realistic, but the characters do not.

Instead, it has become a stereotype in and of itself. And as for an aim at realism, I have always found it curious that anime backgrounds seem so realistic, but the characters do not.

Hmmm, I never paid attention to that...you are quite right. Vehicles, objects, animals, all aim for realism.

Hmmm...

OMG I LOVE Anime!!! I'm totally addicted to InuYasha!! I've heard of a lot of those other series (Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Samuria Champloo, all that other stuff) but InuYasha's definatly my favorite (hence my Signature and Avitar). DBZ's amazing too, but I like the later series (Cell, ect) rather than the older ones (Vegeta, Freiza, ect.).

Anyway, just thought I should mention that....

And yeah, Anime is sort of a traditional art, but it has variations just as all other versions of animation. Sometimes the characters are a little more realistic (Samurai Champloo) and sometimes...well, they're not (InuYasha). It varies on the story as well as the animators that take part in its creation. So, I guess you could say that nearly every series is unique in its own way.

Oh, and a quick question for Aash Li (sp?) what does your signature say? Or did I miss something?? Just curious.

*pokes* you don't belong to anime-forums.com do you aka A4

No I don't, what's so special about it? I only go to the Madman Entertainment forums to talk about anime.

The minimalistic nature of anime is from the fact that animation in the past had to be made extremely cheap. It's only just recently in the last 10 - 15 years that such detail has been put into animes, specifically TV series. Thank the west for that too, most anime TV series don't make back the money they cost to make just buy showing it on Japanese TV, the majority of the money comes from DVD sales inside and outside of Japan.

Archived