Home

Should the Empire start out with Clonetroopers or stormtroopers?

aggie_john

Which troop should the Empire start with?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which troop should the Empire start with?

• Clone Troopers from EpIII
    • Stormtroopers
    • some hybrd of both?

Ok, with recent developments in the ship list for the empire, ie the aclamaotrs and venators, one must ask the question which troop should the empire start off with, I say the clones. Which is a posiblity not all the troops have been made clear to us. ie Luke was just confirmed.

My reasons

1)This game bridages the gap between III and IV. ie all the previously named ships. So why not the evolution of the empires ground forces clones--> Stormtroopers. If memory serves me arn't some of the ground vehiles also confirmed from the clone wars?

2) The rebels have to steel the X-Wing, their signature fighter. Seems only fair that the Empire should have to research Stormtroopers as well.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I loved the new clones in Episode III so clones. I wonder also, if they do include clone troopers, how much difference in terms of combat they will be compared to the current Stormtrooper.(in game speak)

DMUK

I voted a hybrid of both, because I would think that the Empire used this time to transition toward the stormtrooper we know and love from a New Hope. I would prefer to see stormtroopers as we see them in ep. III and then as the game progressed they change to the stormies from ep IV. Or maybe just leave it in the hands of the player by making them have to upgrade in order to get ep. IV stormies.

Personally, I would like the ep. III stormies they seem WAY more tough than those we see in the original trilogy. I mean just think they could kill countless jedi, but in episode IV they couldnt even hit a farm boy. :)

It'll be all stormtroopers most likely. If they do include clone troopers, it'll probobly only be as a different skin with the same abilities. Although I would kill to have the commandos in the game. That would just be cool.

And remember, the clones of Ep III were Jango clones, the ones in ANH were other copies, thus explaining why they sucked so much.

I voted a hybrid of both, because I would think that the Empire used this time to transition toward the stormtrooper we know and love from a New Hope. I would prefer to see stormtroopers as we see them in ep. III and then as the game progressed they change to the stormies from ep IV. Or maybe just leave it in the hands of the player by making them have to upgrade in order to get ep. IV stormies.

Personally, I would like the ep. III stormies they seem WAY more tough than those we see in the original trilogy. I mean just think they could kill countless jedi, but in episode IV they couldnt even hit a farm boy. :)

I voted for the third option because i want it so you get clonetroopers and have to research or advance to stormtroopers though i doubt they will be in, Oh and Popcorn don't you mean clonetroopers? look at this sentence. "I would prefer to see stormtroopers as we see them in ep. III and then as the game progressed they change to the stormies from ep IV." ;)

I voted stormtroopers.

Beside, aren't they essentially the same thing?

Wouldn't make much sense to buy an upgrade to change the skin.

Also, some like to believe that Republic Clones are better then Stormtroopers. Well, why the downgrade then? If they're being "true to the movies", in their transposition to game form, the necessary balance would have the Stormtrooper as the basic unit and the Clone trooper as the upgrade.

Like I said, who in their right mind, game terms exclusively, would choose to actually downgrade their infantry units.

Ep. 3 Clones are all nice and cool, but we have to think in gameplay terms here.

The troops from episode III are essentially already a hybrid of the old clonetroopers and the ANH stormtroopers. I'm trying to imagine a second hybrid, but it's really hard to visualize... though I'm not saying it's impossible.

I voted for stormtroopers, because I'm old school and ignorant and I only like the original trilogy :D

I voted for the EpIII clones because they are ecentially stormtroopers yet are still clones which is the begining of the empire. I feel that it ties together III and IV which is the games main focus atleast from the empires point of view.

As far as it being a down grade. Clones 1) are very constsitant cause there clones, Stormtroopers dont always suck look at the guys who storm Leia's ship they are forced to breech a tiny opening and lose two guys compared to the whole rebel platoon sent to repel them, good work. 2) we see stromtroopers going against heros all the time, clones against droids which really suck, Cant really count the jedi cause even younglings were killing them its just overwhelming numbers like the droids in Ep II win out.

What would change you ask? What about price and speed in production. Clones are tough but they take ten years to create, stormies are like three weeks of training and out to the battlefield.

I voted stormtroopers.

Beside, aren't they essentially the same thing?

Wouldn't make much sense to buy an upgrade to change the skin.

Also, some like to believe that Republic Clones are better then Stormtroopers. Well, why the downgrade then? If they're being "true to the movies", in their transposition to game form, the necessary balance would have the Stormtrooper as the basic unit and the Clone trooper as the upgrade.

Like I said, who in their right mind, game terms exclusively, would choose to actually downgrade their infantry units.

Ep. 3 Clones are all nice and cool, but we have to think in gameplay terms here.

Um no, I don't think there the same, I believe the armor is much different and has its good and bad as well as he guns they use are much different. They has to be a few differences or they would have never been changed to clonestroopers right? :)

Although it is not shown in the movies, there must be a logical reason for updating a entire armies armour. I mean why replace thousands upon thousands of peoples armour? I can tell you it wouldnt be for the looks. Their must be some sort of improvment involoved. Petro could easily make an upgrade that changes up something.

George Lucas stated that the Stormtroopers were a mix of both Clones and regular people.

I'm sure we can make up all sorts of reasons as to why they changed their armour and policy regarding recruitment, nonetheless, and army constituted with a lot of regulars isn't the monstruous fighting force the Confederacy faced.

The easy answer is the policy change, but in game terms, policy changes don't go very well.

Easy fact, a Clone only army is stronger then a mix army.

So yeah, I'm going to research an upgrade, that's going to force me to purchase weaker troopers. Why?

Sure, they're cheaper and you can make more in a smaller amount of time, but why would I get rid of them? I could decide not to get rid of them and keep on having my strong Clone army, though less numerous, more capable in fighting.

There are political and economical reasons to the change, but those don't seem to transpose well into the kind of game E@W is shaping up to be.

The only way I think it could work would be to litteraly force you to use Stormies after a while, but then it kills the point of even having Clone troopers.

I'm thinking you guys underestimate stormies. Stormies were crack troops, they weren't just the grunts, they were the buff grunts. You may get the impression that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the movies, but think about what Obi-Wan says in ANH. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise. Even with mixed troops, they didn't just throw in some random guy into the stormtroopers, they put their elite troops into the stormtroopers. Those weren't throw away grunts being whipped on Endor, those were a Legion of the Emperor's best men they were just taken by surprise in a territory that was NOT suited for them at all. When a battle devolves into confusion like that, there isn't much else to expect but a route.

I think if you look into the books you'll find that stormtroopers are much higher valued and much more feared than you would think from their performance in the movies.

Archived