Home

Empire at War similar to Battlefront

popcorn2008

Do you think EaW will be a RTS Battlefront?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think EaW will be a RTS Battlefront?

• Yes, it is starting to look more and more like it.
    • It could be. But it's too early to really know.
    • No! Just because it has one aspect doesnt mean you should over-react.

With the recent revealing of "Reinforcment Points" that you capture via Infantry in order to call in more troops, and actually looking at these "Points" one could think it is very similar to Battlefront. In the game Battlefront, you captured "Points" where you could then spawn troops and yourself from.

My question to you? Da... da... da... Do you think EaW is similar to Battlefront and/or do you think it will esentially be a RTS Battlefront?

I think so but not in a bad way. It feels to me, at least for ground combat, that the game is a hybrid of games like DOW and a RTS version of Battlefront, with the key locations and all. Really battles are all about capturing key terrain or bridages and what not we just dont see circles with lights coming out of them at that spot.

Ok I'll explain myself:

- Galactic Map pauses while in Tactical(BF2 has this)

- Ships are fully repaired after each space combat(BF2 again)

- Heros can come back(BF2 again)

- Hyperspace Lanes, and it appears that you can only go to 1 planet at a time(BF2)

- Control Points like in BF2 to allow more troops to land(BF2)

- Timeline period is almost the EXACT in both games.

Overall I feel the game is looking more like a BF2 RTS than anyhting. I've shown my reasons for thinking so. I don't care if you disagree, but notice that I'm not complaining about lack of units like others assume. Instead I see the general gameplay mechanics from BF2 Galactic Conquest being shoved into EaW and also seeing as a result EaW's potential going downhill as a result.

As I said, you can choose to disagree, but think hard about the 2 games and then say somehting.

IMo this game resembles nothing from battlefront. Although I will admit that I recognized the reinforcement points and connected it with battlefront. Hopefully Jugger does not mind but if I remeber correctly on the PFF Forums his reasons included - AT-AT makes unlimited troops-battlefront it was a spawn point. In battlefront ships respawn and he connected that with the ISD ability to make TIE's. There were a few others but I can't remember them.

Are you hopping onto one of my threads in the Lucasarts Forum Popcorn??

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=95801&tstart=0

Merely coincidence lol, I dont use those forums because of there spammy nature. As for me, even though I raised this issue (mostly for debate), I dont think that the two games are going to be that much similar.

Sadly I have to back up Juggernaut on this debate. I agree that the game is looking like Battefront. I am sure that some of you disagree but for instance why did the LEC official say an obvious lie in the GAME event. "ALL SW PLANETS WILL BE IN" and that the Goal of the Empire was to "DESTROY THE GALAXY".

Those two quotes show to me that Lucas Arts don't know wtf they are talking about anymore. They can't tell fact from Fiction. I doubt that any of their Producers have ever read the DHC LA Comics from the 80s or and of the EU material apart from the JK Series stuff that they created.

I'll agree on some points Juggernaught makes but some of his points are more just nitpicks.

1. The galatic map in Battlefront doesn't pause in BF2 since its turn based. EaW is real time so when there is combat it pauses.

2. Comparing combat in BF2 to EaW is apple and oranges. You don't even have to shoot at a ship to destroy it in BF2. Heck I still don't really understand how you win a space combat in BF2. You could sit in the enmey hanger and plant timed mines on thier fighters the whole time and "destroy thier fleet."

3. Well if u played BF1 you'd see heros are invonerable like in most star wars game. Furthermore you forgot to add Heros come back "IN THAT BATTLE" They don't in EaW you have to wait for another battle to get them back.

4. The time period IMHO is just besides the point. I think the game Xwing is more inline with BF2 than EaW.

I'll give you the hyperspace lanes and control points but BF2 wasn't the first game to use those eighter. I think EaW is borrowing more from other RTS and TBS's than it is borrowing from an action game.

With the recent revealing of "Reinforcment Points" that you capture via Infantry in order to call in more troops, and actually looking at these "Points" one could think it is very similar to Battlefront. In the game Battlefront, you captured "Points" where you could then spawn troops and yourself from.

My question to you? Da... da... da... Do you think EaW is similar to Battlefront and/or do you think it will esentially be a RTS Battlefront?

First: It is too soon to tell

Second: Just because there is one comparison doesn't mean they are the same or similar.....

I agree with Jmaster,

But there is as well about one thing that could accually make these games clsoe to similar that is the Cinametic Mode, where you get the battle from a units point of view after you have gotten all your main strategic commands/orders/key elements done within your mission/battle.

As for SW Planets, I think he ment the SW planets that are in the movies, which they are in the game.

- Galactic Map pauses while in Tactical(BF2 has this)

- Ships are fully repaired after each space combat(BF2 again)

- Heros can come back(BF2 again)

- Hyperspace Lanes, and it appears that you can only go to 1 planet at a time(BF2)

- Control Points like in BF2 to allow more troops to land(BF2)

- Timeline period is almost the EXACT in both games.

Galactic Map pauses while in tactical...I don't know how many countless strategy games have imployed this. I'm not even sure if should be a correlation to SWBF or a correlation to early strategy games.

Heroes can come back, well if you recall, BF2 is definitely not the only game to feature this. Most notably, Warcraft 3 allowed players to respawn hero units while in battle.

Hyperspace Lanes that only allow you to travel one planet at a time. Honestly, I've felt it should have been this way forever ago with Rebellion and it IS the same in many other galactic strategy games.

The reinforcement points have been used in countless games already, the fact that they designed them to look similar to SWBF's means very little to me, besides Reinforcement points are not deploy points for the defending side, so it doesn't work both ways like SWBF does. Many RTSs use reinforcement points to capture so that you can parachute in infantry to that position, etc.

As for the Time Period, honestly, the trilogy time period is by far the most developed in terms of space battles and in ground battles and technology. Expanded Universe has worked for 30+ years designing technology filling in the gaps from the movies. It is by far the most fertile time period for this game to be in, yet they want to feed off of the older movies and wanted to include Old Republic ships and units. It's been done before though in Galactic Battlegrounds. The Juggernaught was an Old Republic ground assault unit and was carried over to the OT already by the expanded universe so they took advantage of that and used it. Same goes for Dreadnaughts in Rebellion.

I think that, sure they're incorporating a few feelings and images they got from Battlefront into the game. It's recent, it's something players can relate to. So they took parts they thought were relevant and added them in. If you'll also note, they took pages out of other games too like Knights of the Old Republic with Korriban in the game. So what if they did? They just want to show something with a familiar feel to players of the game. They're incorporating far more RTS elements that I've seen in the past, than elements from SWBF.

Frankly, you're just nitpicking for nothing. You focus on freakishly weird coincidences. Hell, all the things you mentionned belong more in an RTS then in Battlefront. fergie said it, E@W took all of those from other RTS games.

By the way, the time period is not the same. As far as I know, we don't have the Republic fighting the CIS in E@W.

Frankly, you're just nitpicking for nothing. You focus on freakishly weird coincidences. Hell, all the things you mentionned belong more in an RTS then in Battlefront. fergie said it, E@W took all of those from other RTS games.

By the way, the time period is not the same. As far as I know, we don't have the Republic fighting the CIS in E@W.

Yeah, and they added new stuff, ideas, and made the game better. I agree it isn't like BF2

I can see some similarities but one is a RTS and the other is a first person shooter, there is different levels of depth expected in both. I dont mind if they are kinda close to each other. I love Battlefront II is a fun shooter. I will love EAW cause its a fast paced RTS the points are similar but not exact. Remeber battlefront had set numbers of troops 350 for each side no matter what, except for that reinforcement bonus, no retreat. It was geared for a different style of play.

Sure, an apple has seed, skins and stem, so does an orange. But they are still much different from each other. EaW is a rts game and BF2 is a fps, it's near impossiable to compare the 2 beside they both have Starwars as background. And some key feature are coincidentally identical.

Archived