Home

mjpb3

Hi all. Umm, I have a question/complaint.

I have noticed quite a few people with animated avatars/sig images and I am fine with them except they really seem to hurt my eyes if I see too many at once.

For instance, I go into a forum and click a thread and scroll down and see 5 posts in a row where the posters have animated avatars/sig images and sincerely my eyes start hurting.

I do not have sensitive eyes, epilepsy, etc... but a lot of movement like that is quite annoying, especially when I am trying to read a thread.

Anyway, I was just wondering if maybe something could be done about it, or should I just quit my bitchin'? :xp:

I think you have a valid point. I don't suffer any physical discomfort, but it gets irritating and distracting. It's very similar to insanely large sigs, if you ask me.

You mean like yours Doc? :xp: 500X120 and 80kb is for all your combined images that includes that SO banner so you need to cut off 40 pixels width and 20 pixels of height off your Doctor Banner. Just an FYI, since you brought up the subject. ;) -RH

What no "PARTY HARD" avatars?? :p

No offense, but you always have the option of switching off avatars/signatures in your control panel and it would be somewhat selfish to have a rule enacted by moderators/administrators that would make a lot of people have to change their settings around. As for the signatures, isn't the signature size limit like 500x120 or something?

Anyway, I was just wondering if maybe something could be done about it, or should I just quit my bitchin'? :xp:

Well the first thing you can do is check the properties of an image, if it is a sig image, and if it exceeds the sig pic limitations we have in our rules here, you can PM a mod and complain about the sig and we will take action.

Sig Rules NEW!

Here are the forum rules concerning Signature Pictures. In the interest of saving bandwidth for your fellow posters please follow these rules.

Max Filesize: 80kb

Max Dimensions: 500 x 120

This filesize and pixel size totals are for all the combined images in their sigs.

Animated Avatars are smaller and are limited by the forum itself so they don't really bother as much, to me anyway. ;)

Lastly, if all else fails, you can go to your User CP near the top of the forum page and click on Edit Options scroll down and you should see Thread Display Options you should be able to 'axe' peoples Avatars, Sig's, etc. from being displayed on your end there.

:D

I don't really mind them, unless they're ludicrously fast-paced.

Those are the ones I was mostly referring to :)

No offense, but you always have the option of switching off avatars/signatures in your control panel and it would be somewhat selfish to have a rule enacted by moderators/administrators that would make a lot of people have to change their settings around. As for the signatures, isn't the signature size limit like 500x120 or something?

None taken, BUT (there's always a but, isn't there) isn't it somewhat rude of the folks who are using images that make me have to change my settings?

Great now I have this sick urge to get on an epilepsy forum and use an avatar that flash's several times per second, of course if someone got hurt I'd be in alot of trouble.

No, that wouldn't be very nice or funny. Believe it or not, fast paced images can cause those with epilepsy to have seizures. Do you want to be responsible for that?

Anyway, the images and poster I was eluding to has had his/her images culled anyway ~ so no harm, no foul all ;P

Depends, I have an active Avatar but it only has like one or two movements throughout the whole loop. I had to change my signature because (cough*) someone didn't like it and/or it conflicted with the size and file restraints. The only avatar's i've seen here that are active are Commander Obi-wan's old one (or does he still have it?) the xian-xian one with the stick fighting, my avatar, and Moeller's avatar.

None taken, BUT (there's always a but, isn't there) isn't it somewhat rude of the folks who are using images that make me have to change my settings?

Well no offense, but I think it's a bit rude to make someone change their avatar when there's only *one* person complaining about it. I'm sure everyone else is just swallowing their pride and just turning off avatars to save their eyes from the horrors of moving objects.

(:)) :blast5::smash::duel: (Those are rather funny, but I don't see how they'd hurt someone's eyes.. I mean, they're just moving.)

Well no offense, but I think it's a bit rude to make someone change their avatar when there's only *one* person complaining about it.

To each there own, but I had a valid complaint, so I chose to present in an orderly fashion instead of flaming the boards, because that would have gotten me banned.

I still think it is very rude of some to use avatars and especially sigs that disrupt the viewing of the forum in general for some, then expect me to change my settings because of their rudeness. And I can honestly say it isn't just me that thinks like this.

(:)) :blast5::smash::duel: (Those are rather funny, but I don't see how they'd hurt someone's eyes.. I mean, they're just moving.)

Emoticons are a small and they don't bother me. I meant larger images entirely.

I have wonderful vision and no problems with my sight whatsoever, but when I have to view 5 posts in one thread, all with animated sigs/avis, well it bothers me.

Also, I did not single out any one individual, so I don't think anyone else should either as examples, etc...

Anyway, like I wrote, the problem has been resolved... so...

If you are using Firefox to browse the forums, I recommend using the AdBlock extension. You can use it to remove any annoying images with a right-click. That way you'll only need to see them once.

I'm using it to get rid of all signature images and any annoying avatars I notice, and it works fine, making the forums much easier to read. :)

Moeller, that was just a general thing. I know I was breaking the rules, so I re-did it. (A new horrible sig, btw. And made it much smaller than needed..). I have no problems with the rules of this board.

And i'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to state my point, even though it was resolved.

A few things to address here before I close this thread...

Moeller, that was just a general thing.

Well... that part of your post about us having you edit your own sig image comes off rather badly. FYI, I took it the same way as Darth Moeller did...

And i'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to state my point, even though it was resolved.

It would have been much better if you actually knew the whole circumstances before posting something, your 'point' was a little off-base.

This was about sig pics... two really annoying, fast moving, large filesize sig pics. They annoyed more than just mjpb3, I assure you.

I still think it is very rude of some to use avatars and especially sigs that disrupt the viewing of the forum in general for some, then expect me to change my settings because of their rudeness. And I can honestly say it isn't just me that thinks like this.

You are quite correct...

Anyway, like I wrote, the problem has been resolved... so...

So as this thread has outlived its usefulness, this thread is now closed. ;)

Archived