Home

Star Trek XI - Has Been Officially Announced

The Source

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*shakes head*

Star Trek hit its redundancy point by Voyager, IMHO. DS9 had some classic trek moments, but it really stood on its own by having fresh races, villains and conflicts. Dominion--seriously badass threat, and more importantly, one that hadn't been done to death in TNG or the movies. Voyager was just like: "Well Captain, we've just found yet ANOTHER planet where the aliens speak perfect English and look almost exactly human, only they've got funny noses/eyebrows/foreheads, AND they're having a conflict that has direct parallels to something that happened on Earth in the late 20th century! What are the odds?!" Yawn. Been there, done that. And I swear, Neelix was the Star Trek equivalent of Jar Jar Binks. Maybe Talax was invaded because all the inhabitants were just too damn ANNOYING to have running around the galaxy.

Enterprise, on the other hand, flopped because they forgot one of the basic premises of the Star Trek universe: To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. By setting it before the Kirk era, they guaranteed staleness right from the word go. Vulcans? Romulans? Klingons? Ferengi? IT'S BEEN DONE! There can't be any huge new threat to the fledgling Federation, because the audience already knows what eventually happens. Even T'Pau couldn't save it, and she is (IMHO) the hottest Star Trek babe of them all. Not quite up to Queen Amidala levels, but smokin' none the less. ;)

To whoever asked which Trek movie didn't suck:

1) Khan

2) Undiscovered Country

3) Voyage Home (this is pushing it)

4) Generations (just to hear Data say: "Sh!t")

5) The Motion Picture (I actually liked it...)

6) Search for Spock had occasional moments.

And the other ones were pretty much crap. The Final Frontier especially so.

I can see a movie based upon:

-Captian Ricker (Troy), Worf, Geordy, Crusher, and Dianna. I think it would be fun to see how this would pan out. I think Ricker was overdue for a command opportunity. If you were to watch 'Insurrection' and 'First Contact', Jonathan Frakes enjoyed playing Ricker. Remember, Jonathan Frakes was the director or producer of both films. They were definatley fun to watch.

The USS Enterprise: NCC-1701-E being under the command of Capt. William Ricker, and they have been called to the Deveron System (Hehehe...). After watching 'All Good Things...", I kind of charmed up to the idea of Ricker in control of the Enterprise. He can go to Romulous to pick up Spock for the reunification of Vulcan and Romulous. That would rock.. Spock could be caught in a cross fire between two factions of Romulans and Vulcans.

This could trigger a war.

@Jae, I think we've found the engineering technobabble consultant:lol:

Heh, all that was real physiology stuff except for the astronomy, just used in a totally BS manner. I'll take the medical bay technobabble instead, but I could work on engineering.

"Captain! The raniskran has decoupled and I can't get the antimatter containment field to reinitialize. If we can't find the hydrociliaryscrewdriver, we're going to have to use the righteous microlevirator instead, and that will take days instead of hours. Or we could just kick it once to see if that will jump-start it."

OK, I admit Riker does strike a certain pose, especially in the early seasons--rigid metal rod instead of a bendable back, chest puffed out, hands on hip with elbows akimbo, chin up with nose slightly in the air, all saying "I'm Riker!!!"

However, I think Frakes would do a good job just the same. And Riker's character could always be moved to the Enterprise for some reason. Or they could do a movie using the Titan's ship, although it might seem blasphemous to some to not have the Enterprise there somehow.

Sisko was a mediocre character. There were some episodes that I enjoyed, but the majority I had a hard time getting into.

I cannot see how they could bring Sisko back, for he is now one of the Worm Hole Aliens.

--------------------------

When it comes to villans, they could do a Q story. As long it has nothing to due with time travel.

^

Sisko was a more subtle character. There were a number of episodes where I caught things watching it as an adult that I might not have caught if I'd been watching it as a kid or teen. If I hadn't had some of the experiences in life I had before seeing the series, I might not have been able to relate nearly as well.

It is kind of funny. The one thing that did drive me away from the series was that year long war with the Daminion. Sisko didn't drive me away from the series, and there were some really cool storylines. When it came to that dame war, I felt that every episode was the same. All they did was rotate things around slightly.

I did like the cute Bajhoran babes. Yahoooo.. Oops, I lost myself there.

Actually, I did like the Bajhoran concept.

Quark made DS9 for me. He and the Ferengi angle had some truly classic Star Trek moments--Quark explaining finances to the baffled Klingon High Council, his great quote upon discovering the Jem'hadar liked to gamble; "I have a dream. A dream where all peoples of the galaxy gather together in peace--around my Dabo tables!", the episode with Iggy Pop as a Vorta, but I somehow really doubt they can pull off another movie and have it actually not suck.

Remember, aside from 3rd party multimedia, Star Wars is 6 movies. Star Trek is 10 movies and several hundred hours of tv in four different series. Okay, I left out the clone wars animation, the animated Star Trek show after the original series was cancelled, and that idiotic Ewoks cartoon, but still, a LOT more Star Trek has been produced. That's a lot more ideas and characters to milk, and I think the well is running dry. *shrug* Maybe they can pull something off, but...I dunno.

I would actually like to see something in the mirror universe. maybe an early terran empire thing. i don't know. of course it would be the Enterprise cast, which is my favorite (let the flaming begin.) personally, i loved Enterprise. i thought it was great. yeah, i *want* to hate rick berman, he screwed up deep space nine, he screwed up voyager. but something about Enterprise just made it click for me. i loved it. then it dies, gone the way of babylon 5. gone and left to be forgotten. now i hear this talk of a new trek movie... and it's about kirk and spock? kirk and spock? haven't we had enough of them? i mean, yeah, they were good, and they started it all. but you'd have to use different actors for the starfleet academy thing, and the riker thing... well... it's riker, enough said. maybe they can do something about Hoshi Sato and her reign as Empress, however short it may have been. she is by far one of my favorite characters. it could work. just my two cents.

Well, first off, I agree with everyone here that this latest Star Trek movie won't be worth watching. In my opinion Star Trek Voyager was definitely the best of all ST series and it's too bad nobody wants to make a movie with Voyager and its crew in the star role, every single movie so far was about Enterprise, whether it was Kirk's, or Picard's. It would be a nice change if there was one about Voyager.

Regardless of the ship, we all know what the plot will be: the Good Federation is faced by a previously-unheard-of Evil Threat. The Good Federation sends the Good Ship Enterprise to Thwart And Triumph. The Good Ship Enterprise Thwarts And Triumphs Over The Mysterious New Enemy, in the process discovering who they are, amid much exploding of consoles etc etc ad nauseam.

What Star Trek needs is new ideas. The formula is getting stale.

I haven't heard anything new, but I do know that the producer's current release (Mission Impossible 3) did very lousy at the box office on opening day. M-i-iii only earned 48.5 million, which was short twenty million from its projected mark of 70 million. I don't know if this is due to how people see Tom Cruise now a days, or they don't like Mission Impossible III in general. I wonder what type of reprocussions this will have on Star Trek XI. We will have to wait and see.

Could be the MI series is getting tired, likely it is affected by what Cruise has been saying/doing lately. It could also just be the weather--it's been so unpleasant by us lately that we just want to stay home. And it's Mother's day weekend, so that may have an impact.

Nearly 50 million is still a lot of money, so I think a problem with the producer is less likely than one of the above possibilities. Not impossible, of course, just less likely.

I was thinking, maybe it is better to forget the ships from the series and make a movie about a completey different ship - the Incursion. This ship is from the Star Trek Away Team PC game and though it probably isn't good material for TV series, it could be for a SF action movie in the Star Trek universe.

Archived