Home

Star Trek XI - Has Been Officially Announced

The Source

Star Trek needs to die. It's too old to continue.

Give it a rest Trekies.

Is it just me or are you confrentational in some threads?

You post anti-Firefox statements in Firefox threads and now anti-Trek statements in this one... just doesn't seem like this can lead to much, other than flames and the neccissary "We're not Trekkie's, we're Trekker's" statements.

Perhaps if you have such negative views of some particular topics you might simply want to just pass on the thread next time. ;)

Just a suggestion.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we kill Star Trek, why don't we kill Star Wars, Star Gate, and all with them?

If Star Wars is the father of Sci-fi, then Star Trek is the mother. You simply can't kill Star Trek, for it is the foundation on wich modern sci-fi is build.

I was thinking about what Darth Insidious was saying...that they needed to make a series wich features some of the old actors. I personally like the idea of mixing Next Generation, Voyager and Deep Space Nine a bit. I would love to see a serie that features parts of the old series we grew up with.

Star Trek, in its heyday, was brilliant. Tragically, due to a series of errors regarding the series' future it has fallen apart. I really do think that they should stop and hide in the shadows for a while. For a time in the late nineties there was "too much Trek." Ideas were reused and swapped around and we got some shows that were similar to ones we had seen before. Enterprise marked a big mistake, I think, the first three series were not something I would watch "religiously." But the final series (With the exception of their final episode) really was mostly good TV.

Star Trek has had too much exposure and we have seen the result of this. We should put it to bed for ten or twenty years, then come back with a killer series!

ST XI huh.... I really wish it wasnt Kirk and Spock...Im freakin sick of those guys and that era :p

Then you'll have all the "but the technology is older but it looks newer" whiners, (as per enterprise, SW).

One good thing : (P)Rick Berman is not involved. He almost single-handedly has reduced the franchise to the ruin it is in today...

dammit, they should have made that USS Excelsior series, rather than Enterprise, things would be much different....

mtfbwya

After the great Gene Rodenberry died, the franchise went downhill. I think that another visionary has to grab hold of Star Trek. I don't believe that Paramount will be successful until they find someone like Rodenberry.

The following shows were created based upon Rodenberry's notes, but the developer, producers, and actors didn't have the vision:

Andromida

Earth Final Conflict

DS9

Voyager

All the above shows had great potential to become something extrodinary. Even though each has intresting concepts and ideas, they all lack a visionary at the helm. Rodenberry had a fundamental philosophy, which Paramount admits they could not capture.

Space the Final Fronteir....

Space is an extrodinary place, which challanges our imagination. We as humans strive to reach for the unknown. Our curiosity drives us to explore.

To Seek Out New Life, and New Civilizations...

If you are a Star Trek Fan, you know this means the human condition. New life is something we encountered every day, and we study how they interact to their environment. Politics, delemas, etc...

To Boldily Go Where No One Has Gone Before.

This statement speaks for itself. We are a curious people, and most of us are exposed the the philosophy of 'What If...".

After the 'Next Generation' left the scene, the series lost those important philosophies. Every week on the series Enterprise and Voyager, the crew were entangled in politics with the Borg, Vulvans, Romulans, or Klingons. Star Trek has never truely moved species exploration forward. Species 8472 was a great concept, but they didn't fall through with exploring tremendous possibilities.

One of the most important concepts of Rodebbery's was broken, and it will cost them fans for decades. Star Trek is about going forward. When Paramount decided to create a prequel, you could hear Star Trek fans screaming. 'Enterprise' the tv series was a horrible prequel, for it broke what was allready established before it. The series also had rehashed storylines, species, and technology. The Star Trek writters were stuck in Time Traveling, for they lacked fresh creative ideas to push forward. When you create a prequel, you are limited to what was out before you. Therefore, the series was destined for failure.

Roddenberry's Star Trek was the best ever, for it explore the human potential, the unknown, literature, science, and philosophy.

If the writers create a prequel, after coming off a failure prequel tv series, Star Trek XI will pull in even less money than Nemisis.

Star Trek needs a vacation, so a newer generation can man the helm. Someone with the Roddenbery spark in their conscience. Someone who could restore the respect that was established before DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.

If it was not for the 'Kirk' Era, there would not be any intrest in Star Trek. Unlike the 'Next Generation' cast, the Original Series cast members of William Shatner, Defrost Kelly, and Lenord Nemoy wanted to write and act in a Star Trek Movie. They have a passion for Star Trek, which has no equal. Patrick Stewert and (Data) actor do not really want to do Star Trek. They have gone on record to say that they have no desire for another Trek Movie. Only when it comes to money they are intrested. William Shatner does want a big paycheck, and he deserves it for his contribution. At one point in his career and Lenords, they created Star Trek because they wanted it to succeed. When it comes to the 'Next Generation' cast, Johnathan Frakes is the next voice for Trek. He has the passion to direct, write, and act in a Trek film. Johnathan Frakes directed First Contact, and did an extrodinary job. Insurrection was also directed by him, and it was still a good story. Without the 'Kirk' Era, there would not be a Star Trek.

At the moment, the Gene Rodenberry Philosophy cannot be mimiced. Star Trek needs time to rest and rejuvinate. Until they find people who are seriously passionate about the franchise, and have a vision for the human condition, I say let the series rest for a while longer.

I rather have no Star Trek than a Dead Star Trek...

I have to disagree, Mac, on GR. He had formulaic ideas which he overused, and restricted character development sorely. His stories also frequently have their messages portrayed in such a blatant way as to have the 'underlying' theme discussed in open dialogue.

The problems with Trek, and particularly his leadership of the programme are I think summed up in 'Spock's Brain'. Where the programme succeeded for me is demonstrated by episodes like 'City On The Edge Of Forever', and from DS9, 'Rapture'.

@ZT: Trek and Wars are mere children. The true parent of science fiction as we know it is surely A For Andromeda.

@Reclaimer: Doctor Who is still going strong (well, OK, so I don't like the new series, but it's popular, and that's how TV people define going strong...) after 43 years. why shouldn't Trek do the same?

@RJM:

LOL, forgotten that line..."Kyeptin, enemy wessel decloaking off de port bow!"

Oh, and

KYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :xp:

@Jae and RH, Your both just jealous cuz my style is massive!

Star Trek does need a break, one of the obvious flaws is it's plot rut (parts of Enterprise were direct recycling). Each series brings something new to the table, but it also sits at the same old table every night. Here's my neurons, CAN THE FEDERATION!!! At least for one series.

My top picks are Ancient Klingon History (seperated completely from the standard format to prevent a prequel prequel.... In days of legend, glory, and betrayal, "Ages of Honor" Will be less Picard Maneuver and more Samurai Showdown)

and the alternate universe (Just how bad does it get?)

Just In...

Abrams was interviewed after the announcement of Star Trek XI, and mentioned that Parmount and Empireonline.com jumped the gun.

"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," said Abrams to Empire. "People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumours of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

http://www.trektoday.com/news/260406_02.shtml

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=18614

He also mentions that the concept of Star Trek XI is also not accurate.

Curious.

We'll probably learn in a few months that the concept was accurate after all. Either that or it's another ruddy Picard film.

It won't be. Patrick Stewart has said that he's done with Jean-Luc Picard. Brent Spiner went as far as using his powers as a writer of Nemesis to kill of his character.

However, I hope Johnathan Frakes would be willing to appear as Captain Riker. That would actually make money.

cmon Doc, Data was dead, but that idiotic b4 wasn't... So theoretically, Spiner could be in there(Not that he'd want to be !!)

One of the quotes from Abrams talks about how he would be excited to work with Nimoy.

Spock is still alive as far as the current timeline is concerned. If he reappeared in a movie featuring Riker and the USS Titan, that would be worth a look :)

mtfbwya

I wouldn't mind if they did a Star Trek based upon Captian Ricker.

@RJM--I'm tame compared to some of the things I've heard come out of the minds and mouths of ER nurses. :D I try not to write anything that my son might later ask embarrassing questions about in public.

Son, loudly in a crowd of people: Hey mom, what does X mean?

Jae, turning bright red as people stare at her, just wondering how she's going to explain this particular aspect of human activity: Um, you see, well, during certain aspects of the lunar cycle, when Jupiter is in alignment with Mars, the human body develops particular hormonal-mediated aspects of activity in biochemical reactions of cyclic AMP as a result of norepinephrine release in the pre-frontal cortex. This causes intracellular changes that affect cellular signaling, resulting in altered physiological states.

It's really very complex to explain and your father can tell you all about it with pictures when we get home. (son looks dubious, a few mothers snicker, everyone else walks away, looking very confused)

Back on topic now....

Well, I'd like a Riker story, too. He has such a different leadership style from Picard and with a different crew all the character dynamics would be unique. Make Picard an admiral or retired for an advisory role (though I can't ever imagine him retired, to be honest). Lots of ideas there and there's so many strange things they've explored during the show that I'm sure they could come up with something new and interesting.

I still think a Kirk-at-the-Academy or a Kirk-becomes-Enterprise-Captain movie has potential because there's so many story possibilities. I could live with other actors representing the original crew as long as the resemblance is close. Throw in some nasty Romulans and Klingons and voila, story. Well, OK, it's a little more complex than that, but it's a start.

A story on any of the versions of Enterprise could be interesting, even the first one. The show didn't capture my interest (or I had some activity conflict, I can't remember now), but that doesn't mean they couldn't make a good movie out of the main concept.

I don't think the franchise has to take a sabbatical as long as they can keep the stories fresh and entertaining.

^ But Enterprise proved that they can't keep the stories fresh. Hell, one episode was a complete rip-off of Let This Be Your Last Battlefield. I foget what the Enterprise one was called... but it ended the same way.

The show couldn't do it, but I imagine they could do it with a movie, provided it was done with a really good story (ie different writers) with solid directing. The actors need to be able to breathe life into their characters really well or be replaced. The few times I was able to catch the show, some of them seemed pretty flat. The WonderPets had more personality than a couple of them. They've probably nuked any chance at a movie completely with the series being cancelled, however.

There's so many other good story possibilities in the entire ST universe that as long as a big enough audience is willing to pay to see the movies, the series could do OK. Apparently the number crunchers feel there's still enough of us willing to go to the theater to watch it that they're willing to fork out the dollars to invest in making it.

Personally, I think they should drop all past characters. Forget about Picard and his crew. Let Kirk and his legacy rest. Keep the DS9 characters where they are - they ended that series well, in my opinion. I don't even count the Enterprise crew as characters. Maybe bring in a single Voyager character, just to sort of tie off that thread.

This next movie should be a whole new cast. Completely different characters, totaly new ship, entirely different writing/directing/production staff. Maybe mention a few of the characters in passing. If they need to, bring back one good, solid character, just to attract an audience. Kind of like what West Wing used Martin Shean and John Spencer for. Keep them as a relatively mior character, while keeping the main focus on the rest of the crew.

Archived