Home

Double-bladed vs. two single-bladed lightsabers

Rade Saar

Does a double-bladed lightsaber do more damage than using two single-bladed sabers? I usually prefer to use two single-bladed sabers: one that does as much damage as possible and a short one in the off-hand upgraded for blaster bolt deflection. I had always thought that two sabers was the way to go, but this time through TSL I'm using a double-bladed saber and the battles seem much easier. Is it just luck?

Does a double-bladed lightsaber do more damage than using two single-bladed sabers? I usually prefer to use two single-bladed sabers: one that does as much damage as possible and a short one in the off-hand upgraded for blaster bolt deflection. I had always thought that two sabers was the way to go, but this time through TSL I'm using a double-bladed saber and the battles seem much easier. Is it just luck?

Double-bladed sabers have a little higher base damage, but worse critical hit range (thus taking the Critical Strike feats when using a doublebladed saber is a waste). Double-bladed sabers also do the same damage with both attacks, while the off-hand saber does less damage if you dual-wield a short one. (Though I see no compelling reason to not just dual-wield two full lightsabers instead.)

The biggest disadvantage of double-bladed compared to dual-wielding is that you can only stick one set of upgrades into it, while having two sabers allows you double the upgrades/crystals. If you don't have enough good upgrades and crystals to fill two sabers though that may actually be an advantage (but the risk of that happening in TSL is fairly small though since there is so much powerful items to be found or created). :)

Thanks!

I'll try using two regular single-bladed sabers instead of one regular and one short--as soon as I find another regular one. They're hard to come by this time through. I only have one regular single blade and bunch of short and doubles. I wish I could breakdown a double into a single. :)

Before you know that you will get a lightsaber or if you don't and saved it maybe 15 minutes from where you get the lightsaber then just reload your game and do it and chances are it will switch. For example before Hussef ( I think the leader of the refugees) gives you a lightsaber save your game before you talk to him, if he gives you a lightsaber you don't want, you can simply reload and that works on all the people that give you one.

^^^

Yes, there is a greater attack penalty assessed to the off-hand weapon if it's a lightsaber instead of a short lightsaber. I believe the penalty is an additional -2. My take on it is as long as each weapon has at least a net +20 to attack then I don't really care. So generally speaking I wouldn't use two lightsabers until my character reached a fairly high level, probably between levels 15-20.

Hmmm you know, my two real strong chars were both single bladed. never missed. of course i had 30ish str anyways i dont even know why but i did MUCH more damage, like in 100+ per hit. master speeded flurry was almost insta death for Kreia. Anyways double bladed saber is one thing i use only if i have no other choice.

P.S. Yes i have had ALOT of two saber wielders.

well two double blade is a good choice. You can svtuslly deck out damage on the main one, and for your off-hand full saber you deck out on buffs like bonus to deflection and stat increase.

Result is always better than a double saber, of the unskilled who use just a single saber.

In kotor I always used a pair of blades cause you can pick up those hardcore crystals from the trader at Yavin. Mantle of the Force and Heart of the Guardian. 40,000 of credits well spent! Nothing says "owned" like striking someone with 4 hits and inflicting 200 damage.

If you like using sabers to raise attributes and and gain defensive properties, two blades is a bit better. Due to an unusual bug, you can't have two crystals raising the same stat in the same saber. You can have them in different sabers. You can put your name crystal in the main hand and another damage crystal, and add a second buffing crystal in the off hand. This is handy for DS consulars, since you can now get the cha bonus from both your name crystal and the pontite crystal.

• 4 weeks later...

If you use crystals with simple damage addition (barab ingot ore, upari, etc) then a double bladed is technically the way to go if you want to max avg dmg per swing. Its higher base avg damage is a natural compliment to simple damage additions. It also lets you max the benefits of your best crystals for the first half of the game (if you are combat class) until you start having a proper collection of top upgrades and crystals. You'll not want to bother with critical hit, go flurry and be done with it.

If you are going for critical hits then use single with upgrades like nextor/opilla (early), you can only seem to get the benefit of one "keen" upgrade per saber. So whether its a crystal (nextor) or a lens (improved beam) figure out which helps you more or simply which you have... Also, using form 5 saber stance (ataru I think) gives you a x3 multiplier on critical vs the normal x2. Also remember that power attack gives you an additional critical hit multiplier (if its normall x2 it becomes x3, if x3 then becomes x4) You can stack up to 200'ish damage per hit on a good critical that way...

Depends on your strategy and preferences really... If you want to look more classic/cannon then go single saber but that becomes more of an asthetic choice. I always did the single saber for non combat classes as it seemed more apt. Besides, a high level consular/S.Lord/J.Master can pretty much handle crowds too easily once they are higher level.

You guys are all forgetting that when wielding two seperate weapons, only half of your strength modifier is applied to the offhand weapon's damage. This is also the case with double-bladed, but the main-hand attack gets 1.5 times your strength modifier, so it evens out. Unless you are going Critical Strike, the double-bladed is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

In TSL, at least, I say start with a double blade. Later, as you find better crystals and get better at making upgrades, I like to switch to two single bladed sabers. One for beating the snot out of the bad guys and the other for blaster bolt deflection, skill bonuses, etc.

The added couple points of damage for the double bladed weapon doesn't make a whole lotta difference when your base damage goes up to 60-someodd.

It's a situational thing. I use two singles for the attributes (last game I had a Pontite and Kasha in my off hand, with a Kaiburr and player crystal in the main hand. DS that was +5 Wis, +8 Cha, +3 Con, +7 Str, and +6 Dex. Ever seen Vrook fail a will save against a Marauder with near 40 in Str?) For my NPCs I use the double blade for the way your strength bonus is applied to damage. Assuming all my crystals were lame, I'd use a double for the Exile too.

Archived