Home

Blocking system for KOTOR3

DarkLord152

I think in KOTOR3 they should have some type of blocking mechanism so that you could save your life points and not have to use a health thing or "The Force" to save your health. Would'nt that be a good thing to have instead of having to keep healing the "Character".There also should be defrent Defense forms instead of using your Attack System but have a new column to use for the Defense System.The "Bad Guys" would have to strong Attack though.Tell me if this would be a good idea or not.

That's because you don't, DarkLord152. KOTOR is based on the D20 system, where all attacks/blocks/damage/etc is determined by invisible dice rolls against the characters and enemies stats.

To use a button for "blocking" would mean dismantling the D20 system and making it something closer to Jade Empire, which as you can see, is not a popular option around here.

There is no possible way to do blocking in the D20 system as it is already part of your Defence Rating.

The Defense Rating (AC) of your character counts in armor, and dexterity factors this includes blocking and parrying as well as just standing there and the enemy wildly missing, it is all part of that same number.

From the Star Wars RPG Core Rulebook on Defense...

Defense

Your Defense represents how hard it is for opponents to land a solid, damaging blow on you. It is the Attack Roll result that an opponent needs to hit you. The average unarmored character has a Defense of 10. Your Defense is equal to the following;

10 + Class Bonus (Or Equipment Bonus) + Dexterity Modifier + Size Modifier

Defense has nothing to do with damage reduction...

• 4 weeks later...

hmmmmm.. maybe I'm mis-understanding, but I'm under the impression that the poster wants a defensive posture.

A stance that you character uses for defense only. They do not attack while in the stance, only defend.

In KOTOR while engaged in melee you had no choice, you had to use the basic attack at least, if you wanted your character to defend themselves.

Ranged combat was different. You could just stand there and deflect blaster bolts, but melee you had to at least target/attack someone.

Archived