Home

Should Their Be More StarWars Games?

warhero1

Should there be more Star Wars games?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be more Star Wars games?

• Yes, absolutely!!!
    • No way, let it die already!!!
    • Hunh?

I don't see EAW getting a sequel. Every time a new Star Wars game comes out, they usually sell rather high. After people play the first version of the game, they decide if they will buy a sequel. I think EAW's numbers impressed Lucas Arts, but I don't see that a large amount of fans liked what they bought. The expansion pack sales will show what will happen. Look for a decline in sales.

Galaxies is a tough game to get into. First, you have to buy the game. Second, you have to purchase online time. I rather pay for the game, and not invest anymore money into it. I can see a sequel or an upgrade to the system, but that is as far as it goes. (Horrible sentence structure.)

KotOR II may have been a nail in the coffin for the KotOR series. I am not sure yet. For the moment, I don't think a third will sell well. If they wait for a few years, I can see high sales in a KotOR III. However, they will have to wait until the affects of KotOR II are well gone.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Infact, definately a Star Wars Galaxies 2. I won't slag off the existing Galaxies here but il just say that i played it for two years and then the realisation hit me that the game described on the box and in the manual was a game that ended long ago. The absolute change unfortunately for me took out everything that i liked about the game so i had no reason to stay. That and they watered down the game too much for newbies. /jolee mode... I remember the days when you could start on Rori, get thrown straight onto the planet in the wild with just a pistol and a stick and THAT was it.

:wstupid: same thing happened to me, played for 2 years then the NGE was released and i quit. man, i miss those days. was in an awesome guild, got jedi when it meant something.... enough of that :mad:

*back on topic*

id like to see more good Star Wars games. such as an open ended RPG similar to ES IV and an all jedi fighting game (with jedi/sith from any of the eras. i dont need a story in it, just awesome 1 on 1, 2 on 1, or 2 on 2 lightsaber battles).

More Star Wars games, please. IMO The Star Wars franchise has not yet lost its luster and there are still a few different areas SW games haven't explored. And please, let there be a KotOR 3 at some point in the future.

KotOR II may have been a nail in the coffin for the KotOR series. I am not sure yet. For the moment, I don't think a third will sell well. If they wait for a few years, I can see high sales in a KotOR III. However, they will have to wait until the affects of KotOR II are well gone.
I don't see the KotOR franchise like this. TSL sold fairly well in spite of its shortcomings. I think there is definite interest in another KotOR and I think it's more of a matter of LEC determining what game titles they are going to take into the next generation of console gaming.

Bah. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and with Star Wars games it's generally been too much of a mediocre or bad thing. Variety is the spice of life, and it's no different with video games. Don't get me wrong, nothing can change my love for Star Wars, but there's really been enough for awhile.

Plus, if it's been a long time since they released a star wars themed game, then if they come out with a good one it'd be even more phenomenal.

I don't see the KotOR franchise like this. TSL sold fairly well in spite of its shortcomings. I think there is definite interest in another KotOR and I think it's more of a matter of LEC determining what game titles they are going to take into the next generation of console gaming.

Forget it. No amount of real statistics and data, backed up by observations can change that guy's mind about anything. He's just here because he hates every single LA game and likes to try and convince others that everything will flop in the universe. Especially when he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

Just forget it...

More Star Wars games, please. IMO The Star Wars franchise has not yet lost its luster and there are still a few different areas SW games haven't explored. And please, let there be a KotOR 3 at some point in the future.

Just because a game sells well it doesn't mean people liked it after they bought it. Otherwords, people bought the game due to how they felt about the first one, but it doesn't mean their experience with the 2nd version was well received.

Another example will be SW: Legos II. I think it has great potential, and it will sell well. Since I am drawing upon my experiences with SW: Legos I, I assume that SW: Legos II will be great. However, after I buy the game and play it, I could end up not liking it as much as the first.

(Note I am using SW: Legos as an example. I have never really played the game.)

Does this mean Legos II did well? When it comes to sales - Yes. When it comes to my expectations as a consumer - No.

When companies create games, they need to look behyond the number of sales. If they can draw some data on how many were returned for resale, then they will get an acurate count on the success rate of a game. (Theoretically.) During the first months of KotOR II's release, I saw huindreds of 'Used' copies being sold at EB, Game Spot, etc... It would be intresting to see what those returns mean. Do they mean one small location had a high return rate, or does this mean that there was a high return rate all around?

My theory is based upon sequels sell at high levels do to how the original performed.

A 30 year fad.

I was going to clearify some stuff, but my browser keeps freezing. Like Star Trek's legacy, Star Wars will fade out for a while. This does not mean its 100% gone, but more like in torpure. What I ment by fad is that it will sleep for a few years, and then something will start it up again.

Star Wars: 30 year fad.

Star Trek: 40 year fad.

Before the re-release of the Original Star Wars in 1997, I rarely watched any of the movies. After they were redesigned, I watched them a few more times. However, it has not been a constant that expands everyday of my life. After buying the recent release on DVD, I watched the movies once each time. KotOR series has been a recent long stay, but I can sense my intrest in it fadding. I can see myself in a months time talking and conversing about something entirely different. My use of the word 'fad' was a little over the top, but it was the closses thing I can think of to what I wanted to say.

Well, I can think of at least one more they should make. :yoda3

Why, K3, of course.

The StarWars entity is much too massive to stop.

Even if there are no more movies, with all of the authors of books, comics and short stories out there creating great characters, worlds and stories, the gaming side will always play a major factor. There are too many of us gamers out there. We'd storm Skywalker ranch and burn it to the ground if they stopped the games.

We need more simulated flight games, more bounty hunting action, more Jedi and sith battles. New engines and techniques will be tested and utilized. IMO it's only going to get better.

I'd rather have less games that are better to play than a whole big bunch of bantha poodoo.

I told myself I wouldn't...then the amount of crap is too high for me to ignore.

I don't see EAW getting a sequel. Every time a new Star Wars game comes out, they usually sell rather high. After people play the first version of the game, they decide if they will buy a sequel. I think EAW's numbers impressed Lucas Arts, but I don't see that a large amount of fans liked what they bought. The expansion pack sales will show what will happen. Look for a decline in sales.

Which is natural since the size of the market is a lot smaller. You need to have the original game and have liked it. Somehow equating the decline in sales with general disatisfaction is stupid and frankly ignorant. Also, I don't understand where you see that a "large number of fans " have not liked the game they bought. Where is the data? Where are the statistics? Is a "large amount" the equivalent of a handful of forum posters?

Galaxies is a tough game to get into. First, you have to buy the game. Second, you have to purchase online time. I rather pay for the game, and not invest anymore money into it. I can see a sequel or an upgrade to the system, but that is as far as it goes. (Horrible sentence structure.)

Which is a beef againt the MMO genre in general. It has nothing to do with Galaxies specifically.

What coffin? Has the franchise been declining ever since the first game? You need more then a second title not being on par with the first one to nuke a franchise. TSL was far from abysmal and did gather generally good reviews and sold well.

Just because a game sells well it doesn't mean people liked it after they bought it. Otherwords, people bought the game due to how they felt about the first one, but it doesn't mean their experience with the 2nd version was well received.

Of course not. It isn't as simple as that. Star Wars Battlefront I had average reviews and the fans were divided on whether it was good or bad. The sequel sold more then the first one.

Another example will be SW: Legos II. I think it has great potential, and it will sell well. Since I am drawing upon my experiences with SW: Legos I, I assume that SW: Legos II will be great. However, after I buy the game and play it, I could end up not liking it as much as the first.

(Note I am using SW: Legos as an example. I have never really played the game.)

Look above.

Does this mean Legos II did well? When it comes to sales - Yes. When it comes to my expectations as a consumer - No.

Highlighted the important. Your expectations. Not the whole consumer groups. What does it matter anyway? You got the sequel, wasn't as good as the first one, doesn't mean a third installment will be bad.

When companies create games, they need to look behyond the number of sales. If they can draw some data on how many were returned for resale, then they will get an acurate count on the success rate of a game. (Theoretically.) During the first months of KotOR II's release, I saw huindreds of 'Used' copies being sold at EB, Game Spot, etc... It would be intresting to see what those returns mean. Do they mean one small location had a high return rate, or does this mean that there was a high return rate all around?

I'd like evidence of that. Hundreds is a lot and I doubt that you've visited every EB games across the country to witness something like that. I doubt that's even possible.

My theory is based upon sequels sell at high levels do to how the original performed.

It's not a theory. You're not exactly wrong here, but far from right. If based on the performance of previous titles, Tomb Raiders Legend would've been a flop. Yet it isn't. There's more to it then just simply what you claim it to be.

I suggest you seriousl consider taking an economics class or try and look for more then visible factors to each situation.

Also, I think you should start working for political parties. You're a decent propagandatist.

@Mac, You're absolutely right, Star Wars is a fad...

Just like Food, Air, Violence, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll

I personally didn't care much for what I played of EaW, but most people I've heard mention it either loved it (and were suprised I didn't) or hadn't played it yet but wanted to try it eventually. Can't remember one person (aside from crazy internet users (who I still believe exist only as a computer simulation doing psychological research on me)) who's ever said anything overly negative about it.

Forget it. No amount of real statistics and data, backed up by observations can change that guy's mind about anything. He's just here because he hates every single LA game and likes to try and convince others that everything will flop in the universe. Especially when he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

Just forget it...

If Mac hates TSL so much, why has he released an ongoing series of mods for it?

I'm afraid that your comment is rather illogical.

@RJM: Personally I was rather disappointed with EaW. I was expecting something more than yet another resource war game in *WOW* new graphics. Not to knock the graphics - they're great - but it's just not something you can keep playing for very long...I expected a longer life-span, particularly from all the hype...

If Mac hates TSL so much, why has he released an ongoing series of mods for it?

I'm afraid that your comment is rather illogical.

@RJM: Personally I was rather disappointed with EaW. I was expecting something more than yet another resource war game in *WOW* new graphics. Not to knock the graphics - they're great - but it's just not something you can keep playing for very long...I expected a longer life-span, particularly from all the hype...

Hehehe... I guess we wasted our time on DAP... Hehehe...

@lukeiamyourdad - I loved playing SW Battlefront I, SW Battlefront II, SW Gallactic Battlegrounds, SW Dark Forces I, SW Dark Forces II, SW X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, SW Jedi Outcast, KotOR I, and KotOR II.

Just because I don't like certain elements of a game that it means I don't like the whole game. When it comes to EAW and Galaxies, I find EAW rather dull and boring. The only thing I hate about Galaxies is that you have to spend more money, so you can play on line. I don't hate Galaxies. Just because I dislike an aspect of a game does not mean I hate the entire game. You can like cookies and milk, but hate it when you get milk on the cookies. Hehehe...

I approached EAW with a clear and open mind. I was looking for: graphic advancements, evolution of SW Galactic Battlegrounds, and a more flexible system. This is a game that I am still giving a chance, and I do visit the forums to see what is new. However, my first impression has not waviered. I congradulate LA for trying something different, but I find EAW to be a boring and dull game. I will never try to convince anyone of anything. I will post how I feel, and I will respect how everyone else feels. With EAW I am trying as hard as I can to reframe from using slang to express my thoughts about it. Hehehe...

When it comes to my KotOR 2 comments, I believe there is bad friction between Obsidian and Lucas Arts. We haven't heard one peep from Lucas Arts, after KotOR II was released, and they never mentioned how they felt Obsidian's final product. All we heard is how Obsidian Ent feels about the game. Remember, silence is a double-bladed sword. I would have loved to have heard from Lucas Arts about their insight. After Obsidian Ent released their magazine articles, I would have love to see a rebuttle from Lucas Arts.

There is one advancement I did like of EAW. I have never played a game, which you can pan 36o degrees in all directions. Seeing the Empire's vessels from underneath was pretty cool. Getting in close to the combat was pretty cool as well. Unfortunately, my feelings about them didn't out weigh the bordom. Everything else that I disliked everyone knows allready, so I will politley hold my comments back.

Exactly. How you feel. You seem to often equate that with how a majority of players feel. News for you bub, keep your opinions as opinions. Don't talk about them as if they were facts. You also use a lot of "facts", which seem to be shodely made up numbers. First, with your claim that TSL sold aroun 70 000 copies when in fact it sold 1.5 million and then the hundreds of copies returned. The first one was probably from a very unreliable source and the second is unverifiable and just by looking at it, it's hard to believe and sounds like an over-exageration (considering that it's pretty unlikely that a single EB Games sold over 200 (hence the hundreds) copies of one game and see it all returned).

This is my beef about all of your "theories". Use of weird facts and thinking your opinion is the one of everyone else. All of that written in a very demagogic manner.

When it comes to my KotOR 2 comments, I believe there is bad friction between Obsidian and Lucas Arts. We haven't heard one peep from Lucas Arts, after KotOR II was released, and they never mentioned how they felt Obsidian's final product. All we heard is how Obsidian Ent feels about the game. Remember, silence is a double-bladed sword. I would have loved to have heard from Lucas Arts about their insight. After Obsidian Ent released their magazine articles, I would have love to see a rebuttle from Lucas Arts.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your statement about KotOR II having a deep impact on a KotOR III's sales.

Most gamers don't even bother with hearing whatever the publisher or developer has to say about the game after its release.

After reading through your posts, and answering your question, I think you will just continue to argue. I answered your questions. If you don't like me, that is entirely not my problem. Regardless about what I write, you will find fault in it. Therefore, I am not going to continue to entertain you on this subject.

We haven't heard one peep from Lucas Arts, after KotOR II was released, and they never mentioned how they felt Obsidian's final product. All we heard is how Obsidian Ent feels about the game. Remember, silence is a double-bladed sword. I would have loved to have heard from Lucas Arts about their insight. After Obsidian Ent released their magazine articles, I would have love to see a rebuttle from Lucas Arts.
What exactly did you want LucasArts to rebut? From what I've read it appears to me that Obsidian reps have chosen their words very carefully when commenting on TSL's shortcomings. I haven't seen any Obsidian reps say that it was LucasArts' fault for TSL's weaknesses. Perhaps one can say Obsidian's CEO implied something though when he said it was Obsidian's fault for agreeing to such an aggressive release timeline for TSL.

I'm not sure that LucasArts lack of comment about TSL has a great deal of significance. I mean, what did LEC have to say about the original KotOR? From what I've seen not a whole lot besides the official press releases. Comments on both games seem to come mostly from their respective developer and not the publisher.

Archived