Home

How's KotOR?

Niner_777

I was thinking of buying KotOR over the summer break. I know that it is probably really good. I was wondering what people who've played it think of it. What are the good things about it and what are the bad things? How long did it take you to finish it, stuff like that.

Also, should I start with the first one or second one? I'd guess the first, but if the second game is way better and you don't need any prior knowledge from the first, then I may as well buy the second. Like I said, I don't know much about them.

Btw, I did a search and found a few threads about a topic like this, but I didn't want to get in trouble for bumping those three year old threads. I decided just to make a new one. Is that okay?

Start with the first, definately. And I suggest getting it on PC, not XBox.

KotOR is an amazing game. All biased aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played. The story is amazing and intricate, the characters are well laid out (most of them), and you'll have the story turned upside down on you when you least expect it.

I'm sure the mods won't ban you or anything. Now, if I were to bump them... :p

Yup, definitely start with part one. It's necessary for a complete understanding of the storyline and in my opinion KoTOR 1 is a little better that TSL (although there are lots of good stuff in TSL) mostly because it's complete (unlike TSL and it's notorious cut content) and because it's practically bug free (unlike TSL who has some bugs).

Well, in my opinion, KotOR has an excellent storyline, good alignment tracking, mixed combat system, easy modding, but, on the other hand, it lacks the go anywhere interactivity of other RPGs, on vertical depth to area's, lacks full realtime combat, no syncing for dialogue, but I should probably stop before I'm eaten alive by angry fans.

IMHO, you won't enjoy KotOR as much if you play TSL first. Both are great games in their own right, however I must also disclose that I am one of the lucky few that got through TSL mostly bug free. Had I experienced many of the bugs that I've heard others talk about, I might not have enjoyed it as much.

TSL is heavily dependent upon the event of the first game, and I cannot honestly see how anyone that didn't play the first would be able to follow a majority of the 2nd. So play KotOR first. If you're the type of person that generally plays a game a few times, then I recommend playing KotOR until you've had enough before moving on to TSL.

The rationale here is that game mechanics (I use the term loosely) have been tweaked enough for TSL that trying to play KotOR afterwords may make it seem like less of a game (emphasis on "may").

FWIW, I played KotOR 50+ times and played TSL about 20.

If you understand the principle of d20 game mechanics fairly well, then I'd say "not very". As with any game, there are some quirks you have to learn before you can really get the most out it. If you find the game is too easy or too hard, try changing the difficulty. If you max it out and you still find the game is too easy, try the hardcore mod (probably not on your first playthrough). You should find KotOR to be fairly challenging without it though (but not hard, per se).

Default TSL is rediculously easy, even with difficulty maxed. I would highly recommend a mod of some sort even on your first playthough. I made a game balance mod that does make the game moderately more challenging and allows you to take advantage of the lack of a level cap. Beancounter also made a hardcore mod, but the scope of his mod and mine differ so the results are different. Some people like to play with both mods installed, but I'm pretty sure they're all clinically insane :D

Thanks for the replies. I'm still interested to hear what you have to say about the games. Oh, and I was planning on buying it for PC, seeings how I don't have an Xbox, lol.

Sorry for the move. :)

The great thing about the PC version is all the mods that you can use to enhance you gaming experience after you have played through the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
Some people like to play with both mods installed, but I'm pretty sure they're all clinically insane :D

Guilty as charged! They work great together, along with stoffe's enhanced AI. Made the game FAR more challenging, and a lot more fun!

Doc: I always KNEW just from playing that KotOR was just as buggy as TSL! Everyone was always talking about TSL's bugs (yes, there are quite a few), but KotOR gave me just as much trouble (nothing too serious, just annoying!).

There are quite a few fixes available for TSL at least.

Q

I'd definetly recommend buying the two games, the first is a steal at the price it is now. Endeering characters, action, humor, romance, and being able to dictate how your character plays out and how you progress through the story is pretty sweet. Grant Theft Star Wars, heh heh. I gotta say it beats the films hands down. Just a couple of things. First, you might experiance a few bugs when you reach the second planet. And secondly I recommend hunting down at least the mods that unlock content such as extra dialogue for such and such a character and being able to take one of your party members with you when you arn't supposed to, as there is a lot of extra content that is otherwise missed.

@Niner, Taris and Dantooine were the planets I had the most trouble with, granted my PC was screwed up then too, but there were issues with certain drivers not supporting the game and causing crashes. So check the troubleshooting sections of the forum before installing the game:)

I don't think I ever spent less than 100 hours on a playthrough:D

Neat. I like games that take a long time to beat because it makes me feel like I've got my money's worth out of the game.

I know of at least three people who have gotten the game, but it wouldn't work on their computers. Has this come up with anybody here?

Archived