Home

Start the game off Light or Dark Side?

The Source

Start the game off Light or Dark Side?

I don't know if we talked about this, so I apologize ahead of time for a repeate question. How about durring the Character creation phase, you get to choose what you want to start off as. Durring game play, you can move freely back and forth. However, you can choose at the beginning to be light or dark.

According to what you choose, the game will start on two different locations. Otherwords, if you are a lightsider, you start off on Dantooine. If you are a darkside, you start off on Korriban. Depending on what you choose, the stories will start off diferent, but you will have the opportunity to change sides.

It's a good idea if and ONLY if by choosing the initial alignment you choose whether you will start your training at the Jedi, or Sith Academy. Later on, you can choose to continue to follow the initial path, or to change it.

Neutral... the only way to fly.

See in RPG's you have to cater to all your player types, staring off fixed at one or the other extreme can alienate the people who play the other way. They would feel 'forced' to be a certain way, or that they are being penalised from the beginning to play the other path. You would truely be surprised at the people who feel this way. ;)

I know a person who has played D&D and AD&D for over 20 years and he only plays Lawful Good Paladins or Clerics, and is quite happy to do so for another 20 years. We also have another person who plays only Lawful Evil characters, plays all the allowed classes but all LE, needless to say these 2 make for amusing situations when together, but still they are happy with what they like. Like it or not these types of people are part of this games target audience.

I think neutral no matter what. If for example you did have the choice between training at the sith or jedi academy, i would hope that the choice is presented via dialouge or your choices in-game, not just off your alignment. What if you wanted to start off as light side and fall to the dark, but since you chose to start light side your stuck with jedi training?

It also seems a bit unfair that you'd be given mastery bonus as a starting point.

I have at times wanted to start off as DS when playing a DS character, because of the visual change. But really yoru alignment should be defined by your actions in the game, not a checkbox before the game has even started.

As I hope not to return to Dantooine or the Sith academy then NO! lol

Who says you'll return to Dantooine, or the Korriban Academy (which both lie in ruins, by the way)!

If you start off as a Jedi, you start on Coruscant, if you're a Sith you start... somewhere else. :)

Who says you'll return to Dantooine, or the Korriban Academy (which both lie in ruins, by the way)!

If you start off as a Jedi, you start on Coruscant, if you're a Sith you start... somewhere else. :)

The only other place I could see starting off as Sith would be Malachor V. I don't see this as being a fun beginning for the Sith.

I think I will be board if they don't do something to mix things up. Truthfully, they need to shake things up a bit to win me over to a KotOR 3. You can only play as a 'Gray' Jedi so many times until you get tired of building a character from scratch. The first KotOR was intresting, for you worked up to becoming a Jedi. The second pushed us further, you started as a Jedi and became one out of six prestiage classes. I think they hit the limit of options. What is next? Now you can become a Force Ghost? You start as a Jedi Master or Sith Lord with amniesia, and you fight your way to become one with the Force?

I think I will be board if they don't do something to mix things up. Truthfully, they need to shake things up a bit to win me over to a KotOR 3. You can only play as a 'Gray' Jedi so many times until you get tired of building a character from scratch. The first KotOR was intresting, for you worked up to becoming a Jedi. The second pushed us further, you started as a Jedi and became one out of six prestiage classes.

Yeah, I mean starting out with a neutral character that you customise is just soooo old school for RPG's :rolleyes:

The whole point of an RPG is that you create the character, and you define the character. If they are already LS or DS, then part of the job has already been done for you.

I really wish people would stop coming up with this idea, it's bad - very very bad and needs to be sent to its room without any dinner.

Here we go again with this training wheels starting point idea.

What exactly is the pupose again of having your alignment chosen ahead of time?

Isn't that the point of an RPG, to develop your character?

How can you develop a character correctly if he/she is already halfway there?

I'm going to have to dissagree with this suggestion.

...again and

...again and

...again.

Please make it stop... :headbump

I want to start off grey. That way you can choose to be seduced, or follow, or you can stay away from both (the smart choice). Starting off as a Jedi or Sith class to me is irelivant, I think the grey side should have classes thats where I's be.

Yeah, I mean starting out with a neutral character that you customise is just soooo old school for RPG's :rolleyes:

The whole point of an RPG is that you create the character, and you define the character. If they are already LS or DS, then part of the job has already been done for you.

I really wish people would stop coming up with this idea, it's bad - very very bad and needs to be sent to its room without any dinner.

Maybe there should be a three way option. Otherwords you can choose to start the game as: Light, Gray, or Dark.

F.Y.I.

RPGs - are made to be flexible. There is no rule anywhere that a character has to start off gray. When I play Table-Top RPGs, the starting alignment of my character depends on how I feel. If I choose to create a character who is dark, but walk on the light side, there is plenty of room. Some RPGs give penalties for crossing alignments, and others are open ended.

Neutral. It's funner to work your way down to Darkside or Lightside. I mean if you were all the way darkside you wouldn't get points for..per say force commanding thugs to jump in a bottomless pit so they can reach the ground 'faster.'

I agree with mac a 3 way would be good but like people said it need to be complex so if u chose to be a dser but then fall to the ls u wont be treated as a sith any more and maybe u will have to go to the jedi temple to train again since u are trying to be come a jedi and visa versa and im tired of having it so the sith hunt u down why cant this time we hunt jedi lol? i mean a mass scale hunt not go find the jedi masters and kill them.

:wan::lightning

F.Y.I.

RPGs - are made to be flexible. There is no rule anywhere that a character has to start off gray.

Yes, yes there is, when the PC is supposed to be allowed to choose their path in the game you must start out at a neutral state...

If you do otherwise you are alienating part of your audience because they feel penalized, trust me people don't like this. The Bartle's Player Types are still used as a guideline for creating games.

When I play Table-Top RPGs, the starting alignment of my character depends on how I feel. If I choose to create a character who is dark, but walk on the light side, there is plenty of room. Some RPGs give penalties for crossing alignments, and others are open ended.

See here is where you have to leave the PnP game beliefs behind...

With a PnP game you define your character beforehand while you are writing things down and rolling dice, and writing a back-story, before the campaign even starts. Then the GameMaster integrates your characters into the campaign world.

With a Computer Game you are allowed to define your character, but you have to adhere to the limitations of the pre-set storyline. ;)

I would settle for being able to jsut train at academys how about your goal is to become a jedi so, u work your way up unitl either the jedi or sith academy reconizes u? i dont want to go through another story were i am a jedi but i feel like i dont have the proper training kotor 2 made me feel like a wanna be jedi. i could go either way. :)

Starting off neutral and getting to choose your path from there is more fun. Incidentally, maybe there should be some Gray Jedi prestige classes or something. In TSL, you absolutely had to go to one of the extremes in order to get a prestige class, not to mention trigger some events.

Archived