Home

Best avatar

Gabez

Holy crap, illegal downloads pay off... I wish I had enough to get CS2 but its a complete rip off. It costs them less than £50 to make.

Where exactly are you getting this figure from? Games these days have production costs that run in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions (they're closing in on the amount of budget your average film gets).

But something like photoshop, which does require some quite inventive and extreely complex coding, along with bugger loads of design costs, testing, and so on, is going to cost around the same if not more.

Also please note, they are marketing photoshop at the professional graphics artist/designer, not hobbyists like myself or das mole. They're perfectly within their rights to put the price up like that because they know they're going to make money out of it (as professional artists/graphic designers/etc aren't going to illegally download it as they're more likely to be investigated for such a thing).

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where exactly are you getting this figure from? Games these days have production costs that run in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions (they're closing in on the amount of budget your average film gets).

But something like photoshop, which does require some quite inventive and extreely complex coding, along with bugger loads of design costs, testing, and so on, is going to cost around the same if not more.

Also please note, they are marketing photoshop at the professional graphics artist/designer, not hobbyists like myself or das mole. They're perfectly within their rights to put the price up like that because they know they're going to make money out of it (as professional artists/graphic designers/etc aren't going to illegally download it as they're more likely to be investigated for such a thing).

An individual copy of Photoshop would cost less than £100, although the "master" copy (you know what I mean) would cost more, they are still selling for ridiculous prices.

An individual copy of Photoshop would cost less than £100, although the "master" copy (you know what I mean) would cost more, they are still selling for ridiculous prices.

I don't quite think you yourself know what you're talking about.

If you're saying that it costs them less to burn a copy of the software onto CD, package it and sell it, then yes, it does cost less than £100, although the price will still range in the £30-£50 mark, but they do still have to make money on their software, otherwise what's the point, and believe it or not, Programmers tend to ask for a hell of a lot of money (it's one of the best paying jobs in the world).

Add marketting to that and we're talking about a lot of money. If you're wondering why games don't charge as much, that's because the game industry are planning on selling a hell of a lot more, they know that more people will actually want to buy their game and so they charge less and still make their money back.

But as for Photoshop, they know they're only going to be selling to the graphics designer crowd, which is and infinately smaller crowd then the gamers market. Therefore their prices go up and they are able to make money. It's not ridiclulous at all, it's business.

It can. Just open an animated GIF and see how it's done (hint: layers).

So just like ImageReady then (which also does it as layers). That's cool. I'd try it, but I don't have the Gimp to hand, I've just heard it's really good.

Programmers tend to ask for a hell of a lot of money

And rightly so, when you're in the game industry, 80+ hours a week isn't that scarce, especially near the deadline...

Also, programming is quite a stressy buisness...

So just like ImageReady then (which also does it as layers). That's cool. I'd try it, but I don't have the Gimp to hand, I've just heard it's really good.

Yeah, IMHO, it's The Best ... ;)

Although the interface is quite different from your standard Windows application...

Uh oh, you're not one of those "better than photoshop" people are you? Because just because it's free doesn't make it better you know.

And don't talk to me about programming being stressfull, I've done my fair share this past year at Uni and lets just say 36 hours straight is a good day.

And a half.

Uh oh, you're not one of those "better than photoshop" people are you?

I am.

Because just because it's free doesn't make it better you know.

It does. And I mean free as in speech here.

And don't talk to me about programming being stressfull, I've done my fair share this past year at Uni and lets just say 36 hours straight is a good day.

:)

I don't quite think you yourself know what you're talking about.

If you're saying that it costs them less to burn a copy of the software onto CD, package it and sell it, then yes, it does cost less than £100, although the price will still range in the £30-£50 mark, but they do still have to make money on their software, otherwise what's the point, and believe it or not, Programmers tend to ask for a hell of a lot of money (it's one of the best paying jobs in the world).

Add marketting to that and we're talking about a lot of money. If you're wondering why games don't charge as much, that's because the game industry are planning on selling a hell of a lot more, they know that more people will actually want to buy their game and so they charge less and still make their money back.

But as for Photoshop, they know they're only going to be selling to the graphics designer crowd, which is and infinately smaller crowd then the gamers market. Therefore their prices go up and they are able to make money. It's not ridiclulous at all, it's business.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make, except we both seem to be looking at it differently. In your eyes, it isn't rediculous, it's business. In my eyes, business is ridiculous. Think about it, if every manufacturer in the world sold their products for much lower, more reasonable prices, and used that money to pay their employees more, the world would be better off (no really, think about it). Obviously, that will never happen.

Think about it, if every manufacturer in the world sold their products for much lower, more reasonable prices, and used that money to pay their employees more, the world would be better off (no really, think about it).

It didn't take me a lot of thinking to point out that manufacurers can't pay their programmers more by selling the products for less. It obviously didn't take you a lot of thinking to type that, either.

Think about it, if every manufacturer in the world sold their products for much lower, more reasonable prices, and used that money to pay their employees more, the world would be better off (no really, think about it). Obviously, that will never happen.

Nope it won't. And you should know why.

Manufacturers and companies need to keep a steady cash flow in order to keep creating produce etc. This means that all the 'profit' the product makes has to go back into the company, in order to pay for the production of new produce.

This basically means the money is on a big cycle, savvy?

Now, if the workers are paid more, this means that a larger cash flow is necessary in order to make the idea of creating more of the product economically viable. This in turn can be gained by either:

(A) an unprecedented rise in demand for the product (thereby leading to a greater influx of monies)

(B) a reduction in manufacturing costs (either through increasing efficiency, or getting rid of some of those workers you care so much about Fealiks and replacing them with machines etc)

© raising the sale price of the product.

The most likely answer would be a combination of B and C. But then, why would the company voluntarily create this problem for themselves, when they could just carry on as they are? The workers have the trade unions to sort their problems out for them, and this means that rather than any radical increase in wage, most companies can keep the workers "happy" through steady increases in keeping with average currency rates at the time.

Seriously Fealiks, its not gonna happen, savvy?

(Any serious economists want to rip my arguements open, they are welcome. It's 2.30AM, and all my knowledge of economics is based on a year of not paying attention in AS Economics).

(Blatant Sam and Max reference)

It would be if it was intentional. As it is, it's really just a referance to anyone who's made that joke... which is technically everyone.

And fender, for someone 3 years older than you i really would like to know how your logic works there.

But I love you just the same ;)

Archived