Home

Best avatar

Gabez

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...You're evil.

...Glad to be of service...

Because nobody insults Frank Sinatra, Queen, or Michael Buble.

Well, Queen are gods, but Frank Sinatra and that Bub(b)le-Head, I don't care about in the slightest... Or expressed differently: They stink. ;P

If only I could internet poison you.

I'm running a GNU/Linux, I'm secure...

...And to present you my musical taste: link

Actually she's still here... kinda.

You all get Asshole nametags. Except Fender who gets an Awesome nametag.

Is this true? If so I'm happy with how it worked out.

Oh and The Who/Iron Maiden/Led Zeppelin are the top 3 for me.

I hate Top Of The Pops (A discontinues UK music show) for making the "live" bands mime their instruments. Nirvana showed them by completely taking the piss. Kurt was singing completely the wrong words in a really weird voice, Krist was swinging his bass guituar around in the air throughout the whole song and Dave was tapping random cymbals and in the end, kicked over the drumset and started dancing around with Krist. Twas very funny.

Agreed. I can understand it if there's a lot of dancing for the number, then the out of breath panting sounds comes out of the microphone, and no one wants to hear that, but when people are just playing their instruments and singing, what the hell is the point in making them mime?

Agreed. I can understand it if there's a lot of dancing for the number, then the out of breath panting sounds comes out of the microphone, and no one wants to hear that, but when people are just playing their instruments and singing, what the hell is the point in making them mime?

I think the idea is to present the 'perfect' and finished piece of music in it's complete form. Such is the nature of music that it would be impossible to recreate a song in exactly the same manner each time, day in day out, that the only way the program could do this is through miming to the studio performance.

As anyone who has been to a live gig ever will know, even the most godlike of musicians make mistakes live. That's why when live albums are made, most of them are awash with overdubs tacked on in the studio. While we tend not to notice mistakes made live when we are there (im talking minor errors, broadly speaking 90% of the audience will only notice somethings wrong if the drums stop altogether, or an amp blows up or something, and the other 10% are jealous musicians out to pick holes in the performance regardless of what it is like), in a situation where a program will go out on broadcast to millions watching, the program is not likely to let mistakes go out. That is why it is safer for the program to broadcast the studio version, with the band miming.

For trivias sake, the first band to refuse this treatment on Top of the Pops was the almighty Iron Maiden! who performed their track Running Free live on TOTP in 1981 (correct me if im wrong anyone).

In my opinion, this cannot be called live music. Live music is music that is warts and all, with every single mistake, broken string, dropped drumstick and botched vocal a valuable part of the live experience. On that note, I'm gonna reccomend the live Clash album, as there is not a single overdub on there, and it sounds bloody good because of it. I could go on forever on why this is, but the point I will eventually come to is that it makes them sound human, as opposed to gods. Even the tightest of musicians (eg. Thin Lizzy were meant to be a notoriously tight live act) make mistakes (eg. Thin Lizzy's version of their classic 'Boys are back in town' on their 'live and dangerous' album is significantly sped up compared to the studio version).

Anyway, I'm kinda meandering now, so I'm gonna step off my soapbox.

Tschus!

Live music is music that is warts and all, with every single mistake, broken string, dropped drumstick and botched vocal a valuable part of the live experience.

Full ACK...

(That's also not what I meant when I said Tristania sucked live, they seemed bored and spiritless.)

You do realise American Idol was invented here right? Started off as Pop Idol, and had Simon Cowel as a judge (hence why you guys got him, apparently audiences love to hate him). I think it came out with Will Young, whose music really depends on your point of view (it also came up with Gareth Gates who came up with one or two songs and then dissapeared from the music scene). This spun off a number of Idol shows including, American Idol, Australian Idol and Canadian Idol

They also ruined music although not as much as the X-Factor does these days.

You do realise American Idol was invented here right? Started off as Pop Idol, and had Simon Cowel as a judge (hence why you guys got him, apparently audiences love to hate him). I think it came out with Will Young, whose music really depends on your point of view (it also came up with Gareth Gates who came up with one or two songs and then dissapeared from the music scene). This spun off a number of Idol shows including, American Idol, Australian Idol and Canadian Idol

They also ruined music although not as much as the X-Factor does these days.

Well, yeah. but add the stupidity and attention hoggingness of Americans these days. Oh my god. It brings down IQ's, though people think it's funny. I think it's sad.

And Also, American Idol has ruined My old Favorite song, Bohemian Rhapsody, twice. It's dead to me, now.

Okay, I'll pity you for that one. Why the hell would anyone use that song to demonstrate their vocal talent? Plus, some songs are off limits to those who aren't simply doing cheap kareoke.

I think i saw a few episodes of X-factor, just to pass the time (i.e, I was forced to by my girlfriend), found it quite funny at points, but overall, yeah, wanted to kill myself.

Archived