Home

The Christian Thread!

Halo_92

R U a Christian?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. R U a Christian?

One must bear in mind that these dictionaries are, after all, written by people who may or may not have biases.

The Greek language is origin of the word atheism, or atheos, and its meaning, for anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of the Greek language, is clear: "without gods."

Babies, infants and toddlers, therefore, are atheists. QED.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One must bear in mind that these dictionaries are, after all, written by people who may or may not have biases.

The Greek language is origin of the word atheism, or atheos, and its meaning, for anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of the Greek language, is clear: "without gods."

Babies, infants and toddlers, therefore, are atheists. QED.

Quod ego dico? ;)

Yes, everything has biases. Everyone has biases. Every study has bias(es) and the usage of a particular statistic or vocabularly has inherent biases. Our own discussions here have quite obvious biases. History was one of my undergrad majors, and we talked about bias a great deal in historiography.

While learning Greek is actually on my "Do in my Copious Spare Time" list, my Greek knowledge is limited currently to the Greek roots of medical words, since medical terminology is salient for my profession. I can happily discuss the Greek/Latin etymologies of such things as ophthalmoplegia and diarrhea (preferably not in the same patient).

Just because the root Greek is 'without gods' does not mean that the modern English definition is the exact same as the original ancient Greek, especially since the word came to English via Middle French. There are plenty of words that have Greek origins but don't directly translate from the Greek roots (e.g. inspiration). Modern English usage of the term 'atheism' does not have the exact same denotation as the ancient Greek. I might give you the QED if we were conversing in ancient Greek, however. :)

"I don't believe that Heaven waits for only those who congregate,

I like to think that God is love, he's down below, he's up above,

He's watching people everywhere, he know who does and doesn't care."

~Sam Hogin, Roger Cook, I Believe in You (c.1980)

That's the way I feel about organized religion. I believe in God. I believe in Jesus, but that's as far as it goes. My problems with religion are not in God, but in the religions themselves, and a lot of the time, the people who fanatically follow them.

Another quote for you: "Prayer has no place in public school, just like facts have no place in organized religion." ~The Simpsons :p

Where do you live? (That is, which state?)

I live near Seattle, Washington.

Anyways, I feel that most who believe in God (I am Agnostic so I do not totally believe there is no god) have only started being Christian, because they feel guilty about any "sins" they have committed, and think they are going to burn in lake of fire for the rest of eternity.

For example, Kirk Cameron was an Agnostic before, one day his friend took him to Church. The Priest made him feel so guilty about sinning he converted to Christianity. In my opinion that may be "brainwashing". Maybe brainwash wouldn’t be the right word to use in that example, but I believe that he was deceived by the priest to convert. Kirk Cameron is now a Christian extremist. http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Er.... no lol, sorry.

There are extremeists in all types of organizations (not that I approve of the camp, I find it sick

Yes, but 25% (about 80 million people) of the US population participates in some form of that. It also stated that two new churches like that are made everyday.

Also this is another link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWIb4FwHPg

In response to han sala's video:

There are extremeists in all types of organizations (not that I approve of the camp, I find it sick).

...just as many Muslims want nothing to do with terrorism, and yet in America many ignorant people associate terrorism with Islam. In the same way, ignorant people associate Christianity with brainwashing such as that.

ignorant people associate Christianity with brainwashing such as that.

I don't associate Christianity with brainwashing. But I do think that brainwashing does happen within the Christian community. I mean just watch that trailer. Can you honestly say that those children are not being abused? They will have some serious mental issues when they grow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGeL1yFeK6I

• 1 month later...

I'm a Christian, and I don't think anyone has the right to criticize what they don't understand. I certainly was not brainwashed into becoming a Christian, that was my own choice, and something that I certainly have not regretted.

I believe that without Jesus in my life I probably would have killed myself, because life without Jesus, doesn't offer any purpose, no reason to be alive, and nothing after death.

Also, I don't think I can trully speak my belief without having some understanding, and I certainly am not ignorant of other peoples beliefs and religions.

I'm a Christian, and I don't think anyone has the right to criticize what they don't understand.

What if they *do* understand. Do I now have the right? Is it possible that people don't believe in a given religious superstition because they understand?

I believe that without Jesus in my life I probably would have killed myself, because life without Jesus, doesn't offer any purpose, no reason to be alive, and nothing after death.

I assure you, I and many others have PLENTY reason to live without any religious delusion clouding my mind. But your reasoning leaves one to wonder: if it is true, then what of the 4 billion people in the world who aren't Christian and do not accept Jesus? They appear to have plenty of reasons to live; plenty of "purpose."

What if they *do* understand. Do I now have the right? Is it possible that people don't believe in a given religious superstition because they understand?

I suppose you do have the right to criticize if you fully understand, but I can assure you that most people will never, and probably can't, fully understand unless they have experienced first hand, and even then they may have only experienced a certain element.

Of course it is possible people don't believe in a given religious superstition because they understand. It is more likely however that they do not understand and that they have based their not believing on stereotypes, or on something they have never experienced first hand.

I assure you, I and many others have PLENTY reason to live without any religious delusion clouding my mind. But your reasoning leaves one to wonder: if it is true, then what of the 4 billion people in the world who aren't Christian and do not accept Jesus? They appear to have plenty of reasons to live; plenty of "purpose."

People can live for all sorts of worldy reasons, basing their excistence on science and living for themselves and their selfishness. Sure, not all people are like this, that I know for a fact. I was more talking about 'in the long run', the all popular question, "why are we here". Too many people live for the now, and don't seriously consider the possibility that we were created by a God, maybe because they don't want to believe that they aren't here to serve their own interests. The human life span is rediculously short, if you believe in Creation it is short, and if you believe in Evolution it is outrageously short. We all die, what becomes of us after death? Ignoring this is like jumping off a cliff and not knowing what is going to happen. The fact remains that what ever purpose you have now is not going to do you any good after death.

What happens to me after death is not my concern. It won't matter since I'll not be in existence to experience it. Once you're dead, your dead and there is no logical reason to accept anything otherwise. Therefore, it behooves the individual to live his life to the fullest potential while living. This isn't to say that I subscribe to the "eat, drink, be merry" philosophy, but rather the "live, love, learn, and leave legacy" one.

I'm an atheist. My wife is an atheist. My daughter is an atheist. We have a happy family and have goals for ourselves that are worthy. We give to charity (some of them religious, believe it or not) and believe humanist values. What I do in this, my only, life matters because it may have lasting reprecutions on my descendants or others whose lives I touch or teach.

With regard to "understanding" your religion, I'd hazard to say that I understand it far better than you. This is perhaps because I've examined it from both emic *and* etic perspectives, meaning from the inside and out. I understand not only the religious doctrine and why believers adhere to it, but also the reality that exists independently from biblical mythology.

I also note with some measure of irony the belief that adherents have that they've "experienced" something first hand that they're unable to define, measure or describe and will typically chose the cop-out of "you wouldn't understand unless you believe/give your heart to Jesus/etc."

I say "irony" because this is the type of indoctrination that adherents are taught at a very early age, which helps prevent them from questioning their religious doctrines. The mind of the adherent is, sadly, far from open.

Archived