Home

[K3] If you were the publisher, who would you hire to do the job?

The Source

What non-vaporware has Blizzard done lately? Other than milk WOW for all it's worth?

Don't get me wrong, I like their stuff, but recently, what have they done--on a budget and within a specific timeframe? Personally, I say wait and see what Obsidian does with NWN 2. Maybe TSL was a...learning experience for them.

No, not Blizzard. The made the most evil game of all time: World of Warcraft. I'd recommend one of four people: BioWare, the people who made the first Kotor, Lucasarts (Republic Commando was developed inhouse and was amazing), Bethesda, the makers of the greatest fantasy RPG series of all time (Elder Scrolls), or Lionhead, who made Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Obsidian all the way! NWN 2 looks like it's going to be awesome (best computer adaptation of D&D yet), and provided that it lives up to the expectations, it will be awesome. The fact that they were also the last ones to work on the Kotor series, are now nearly finished with their latest project, have plenty of experience working with a new engine, have expressed interest, specialize in RPGs, and are a subsidiary of Bioware (which is busy with it's own IP at the moment), all lead me to look to Obsidian. Plus, they are committed to supporting PC game players, and I'm never going to buy a console, so would be pissed if Kotor III wasn't available on PC. Maybe if they do get it, LA will actually cut them some slack and not force them to turn out a product prematurely, albeit by a probably small margin. I'm thinking that one more title that someone else owns will be fine for them, and then they'll look to produce their own IP (provided NWN 2 and that other title do well).

I'd go for Bioware as the core development team. I'll borrow Epic Games for the Unreal 3 Engine, which is an absolutely uberengine. Next I'll hire the storywriter of KotOR II - he did a fantastic job. And I'll give some of the polishing to Obsidian, since they're really not good at core development IMO. I'll have John Williams, Alexander Brandon or the KotOR II Music dude for Music.

Obsidian... are a subsidiary of Bioware
Not true. Obsidian Entertainment is owned by five individuals: Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Chris Avellone and Chris Jones. Urquhart used to work for BioWare but Obsidian is not a BioWare subsidiary. See http://www.obsidianent.com/info.html :)

I'll have John Williams, Alexander Brandon or the KotOR II Music dude for Music.
KotOR 2 music dude = Mark Griskey. http://www.griskey.com/ :)

Bioware won't develop a third Kotor, because after K1 some of the members of bioware, arranged Obsidian and made Obsidians first game, Kotor2. so most of the developers of K2 also made K1...

So I guess Obsidian should make K3 (If there will be one)

Bethesda would also be nice, cause they would make it good-looking (like Oblivion), but can they make a great story like the story of K1+K2??

I think Obsidian is the best candidate. Their storywriter, Chris Avellone I think, did an amazing job with the story. And he knows best how to link the story of KotorII with that of KotorIII.

I'll wait and see how good NWN2 is and how it'll be received by the public, but I think it's safe to say that Obsidian has done a great job so far, and KotorII is still one of my favorite games.

To be honest, I am glad BioWare are out of the equation when it comes to the 'next developer of a potential KotOR III game', because I am a part of the minority group that actually thought KotOR had a crap story, crap writing and a ridiculously obvious and overrated plot-twist.

Whether as I thought KotOR II had a good story and excellent writing for a video game (well at least the first 70-75% of the game IMO was awesome, but we all know that 'issue' well by now).

If I had the power to choose the developer of KotOR III, I would definitely choose Obsidian, just as long as LA gives them all the time they need to complete the game from a plot/character perspective and eliminate most of the bugs/glitches that crippled the gameplay like it did in KotOR II...

So we are looking at Bioware, Lionhead, Obsidian, Bethesda and Blizzard as the serious contendors?

Blizzard- I despised WOW. If they make K3, I will not purchase it.

Bethesda- They could do a good job of it, but whether or not they would even consider it is another matter.

Lionhead- Fable was a great game, if a little short in the grand scheme of things, kotor is alot different to Fable, but they are definately a group to consider.

Bioware- Did the best job with K1 that could have been expected, and could do very well on K3, although whether or not the original team would be helping out is another matter.

Obsidian- I didn't like the final result of K2, but s*** happens and it wasn't entirely thier fault with all the time constraints and such. I don't see why the couldn't do a good job of it, especially with the look of NWN2.

So for me in order of likelyhood: Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda, Lionhead, [some random non-existant company], George Bush and the whitehouse gang, Blizzard.

I think Obsidian is the best candidate. Their storywriter, Chris Avellone I think, did an amazing job with the story. And he knows best how to link the story of KotorII with that of KotorIII.

I agree. Avellone is one of the best story-teller in the game-biz, I think he would make it an amazing game...

[K3] If you were the publisher, who would you hire to do the job?

Ignore the factor that Obsidian and BioWare contributed to the series.

If you had control over who will develop the game, who would you chose to make a third game?

Blizzard?

Obsidian hands down. I don't believe they had the opportunity to turn out the product they way they intended it to be. There is some excellent talent from Black Isle Studios there who were responsible for turning out two Game of the Year RPG titles: Fallout and Fallout2, and in cooperation with talent from other game developers, given enough time to release the end product the way they want it to be released, I think they have the capacity to produce a sequel that outshines the original. Not only that, they are the only POTENTIAL developer that has the experience of one KOTOR title under their belt, and the creative experience of one Star Wars RPG to build upon.

^^^

So you're saying you would pick Obsidian Entertainment as the developer for KotOR 3 over all others?

I thinking developing next-gen titles will take longer than previously, at least initially anyway, until developers get through the steep part of the learning curve. I expect a next-gen title like KotoR 3 should take somewhere between 24-36 months for proper development. I do agree that the most likely developers for KotOR 3 at this point in time are Obsidian and LucasArts, though LEC is an unknown when it comes to developing RPG's.

Bioware. Definitely Bioware.

Then again, I'd rather Bioware and Obsidian merge together and pit all their resources into developing KotOR III and making it into the best roleplaying game that ever saw the light of day... Not that I honestly believe that there is even an iota of a possibility that it will ever happen, but hey, one has to fantasize, right?

Archived