Home

To Everyone In The Forums:

The Source

To Everyone In The Forums:

When posting in a contreversial thread, please undertsand that people can interprate a posting's meaning in multiple ways. Even though you may interprate a person's statement one way, another person may not see it through your eyes. Threads that cover religion, governments, gender, or a specific group can be easily misunderstood. I have been coming to these forums for the past few years, and I enjoy the constant debates, speculation, and fun.

What I am driving at is: Please be considerate to other people's social groups and beliefs. Star Wars is about accepting and tolerating a diverse world. If you find that your grammar is not clear, don't forget to use the post editting function. I am not perfect myself, and I try to catch my own issues. We are all an imperfect species.

Please be kind and careful. :)

He has gone somewhere. Coincidentally, i agree with the whoel being careful thing. I may not post in any Religeon/Political/Military themed thread ever again becuase some people get the wrong end of the stick and think im being offensive. Some people in particular. I hate it how some people have to argue with anothers point of view. But alas we are not perfect. You certainly are not Mr Super Rodian. :smash:

It all depends on how you formulate your reasoning in those threads. Many comes off as offensive because they don't document or support their arguments with anything else then childish bashing. That's what comes off as offensive.

I frankly don't care if my reasoning or my arguments somehow attacks your beliefs. Deal with it. If you truly believe in Christianity, it won't be a debate on an internet forum that's going to change your mind.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...I didn't get the point of this when it first appeared. I thought it kind of redundant due to the general regulations regarding posting in LucasForums, but now it makes sense. They aren't closing the thread I know you're talking about Mac, so you come here? It's in the appropriate place, and it's a subject worth debating. Nobody's forcing you to read it.

I frankly don't care if my reasoning or my arguments somehow attacks your beliefs. Deal with it. If you truly believe in Christianity, it won't be a debate on an internet forum that's going to change your mind.

I don't think it's unreasonable to remind people to be careful about how they post, particularly in threads with controversial topics. The particular religion thread in question did get rather inflammatory at one point. I don't mind debating my particular views, but I wasn't too excited seeing God compared with Hitler, either, and I might have reacted with less restraint if I were 20 years younger and less patient.

This is not bad advice, especially for people who might be coming to the forums for the first time from a sheltered background where their beliefs and mores have never been challenged before, or who do not yet have the maturity or education to be able to present information in a logical and respectful manner. Not everyone is blessed with tact or the ability to write clearly (God knows I've had more tactless moments than I care to admit) and it's a good reminder for everyone to display both.

When I'm training my first aid volunteers, one of the things I teach is that what they say and what the listener hears can be two different things, particularly in an emergency situation. Wording the message clearly and in a way that is calm and non-inflammatory is essential in those cases. Positive communication is not intuitive for everyone, although it can be learned. Heck, I'm still learning.

Out of all the ways I have aproached this subject, I thought this was the most responsible. Regardless if the posts get closed or not, this was the best solution to my conundrum.

If people are going to talk about these subjects, I only ask for some respect in how they are approached.

Yes. I agree. I don't have to go into those posts, but I am also interested in topics based upon religion. My only problems with the threads are morality based, and how much of an easy tartget they are in becoming offensive.

I agree with the freedom of speech, but I am also an advocate for tolerence. If the threads are going to remain open, I would hope people would use an approach that is restraint and non-offensive.

I don't think it's unreasonable to remind people to be careful about how they post, particularly in threads with controversial topics. The particular religion thread in question did get rather inflammatory at one point. I don't mind debating my particular views, but I wasn't too excited seeing God compared with Hitler, either, and I might have reacted with less restraint if I were 20 years younger and less patient.

Perhaps I wasn't exactly clear with what I meant. If I simply say:"God does not exist." This is bound to offend a Christian, Jew or Muslim to a certain degree. I have my reasons behind the statement and I'll express them as clearly as possible. I try never to just bash for the sake of it so I hope that it isn't misinterpreted as such.

If somebody wants to compare God and Hitler, depending on the angle of the comparison, he/she can do it. It's a possible thing to do. It's really sloppy and usually has a "bashing" will behind it, but you can totally do it. You can also demolish the entire argument in an instant.

Hopefully, a more mature or calm participant in the debate can answer first but if someone overreacts and it starts going downhill then we have moderators for that. It can be a pretty good lifelesson to learn here to deal with people who violently disagree with you.

All in all, I try not to bash and that's what everyone should try. I don't lose sleep over the fact that I might/i] offend someone.

Mac, I don't have a problem with tolerance or understanding or any of that, it's that you tried to have a discussion wiped out before a discussion even happened. Rather than responding to someone who offended your religious convictions, you went in "pre-offended" on the basis that someone in the thread might offend you. And so far, compared to some of the "I hate God" or "God is an a$$hole" stuff posted in other threads by people who seem to have spent a few too many unsupervised visits with the wrong parish priest, I really don't see any need for excessive moderation in the thread we're discussing. You jumped the gun in this case.

Mac, I don't have a problem with tolerance or understanding or any of that, it's that you tried to have a discussion wiped out before a discussion even happened. Rather than responding to someone who offended your religious convictions, you went in "pre-offended" on the basis that someone in the thread might offend you. And so far, compared to some of the "I hate God" or "God is an a$$hole" stuff posted in other threads by people who seem to have spent a few too many unsupervised visits with the wrong parish priest, I really don't see any need for excessive moderation in the thread we're discussing. You jumped the gun in this case.

When I entered a post in those forums, I acted upon some of the things I have seen. I have to go back and re-read the threads again, but I believe I acted in the right manner. Maybe I should have been less dramatic, but there were a series of events that tripped me off.

When I entered a post in those forums, I acted upon some of the things I have seen. I have to go back and re-read the threads again, but I believe I acted in the right manner. Maybe I should have been less dramatic, but there were a series of events that tripped me off.

Posting in threads is optional. If you don't want to, you don't have to, and that'll be respected. If you do, people will reply if they have an opinion on something. It's that simple. :)

Exactly Devon, posting is indeed optional. We do not have to post in these types of threads. This is something I also practice myself. Hence why you don't see me posting in Religion, or Political threads for that matter.

If I did post my views on either Religon or Politics, a bunch of you wouldn't like what I would have to say. Believe me, ol' George Carlin has nothing on me. ;)

So I avoid the situation altogether by not posting in those threads. I stick to fun ones, or debate light stuff. If it starts getting 'heavy' or 'heated' I move on.

Just my 2 cents, as always. :D

I think though it is very hard to ignore a thread that you disagree with. It's liek that thread that had the video of a guys phonecall in the twin towers. I was extremely opposed to it because i thought it was unsuitable but when i posted in the thread people argued that i was being insensitive and it started a huge arguement. Now im starting to see the error of what i said before in saying i won't post in any Thread based on Religion on Politics. I will comment because it is my comment and mine alone and i realize now that it is not my mistake but the the mistake of the person that judges me and takes offense to my post. So i say balls to them, and i will post what i want when i want.

If I did post my views on either Religon or Politics, a bunch of you wouldn't like what I would have to say. Believe me, ol' George Carlin has nothing on me. ;)

Humor mode way on:

I see an "Extreme Politics/Religion/Controversial Topic du Jour" thread in the making. Invitation only--must wear fire-retardant suits and sign in blood that no one will be murdered. All flames must conform to the French style as depicted in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." :giggle1:

@Emperor D--I don't think it's that big of a deal; I think you'd find agreement, but that's me--I'm not the one who'd have to deal with the responses, of course, so it's easy for me to say that. :D

I keep getting the two of you confused. :confused::xp:
:lol:

So I avoid the situation altogether by not posting in those threads. I stick to fun ones, or debate light stuff. If it starts getting 'heavy' or 'heated' I move on.
Could RH be the wisest of us all? :)

Could RH be the wisest of us all? :)

Well that's a silly question. Of course he is. [/brown-nosing]

@topic: I generally try to avoid debates altogether, seeing as how I suck at it. I get turned off it quickly when people start getting heated about nothing - though that might be because I'm fairly thin-skinned when it comes to my personal beliefs.

Archived