Home

Prehistoric Sharks?

jebbers

A species of shark rarely seen alive because its natural habitat is 600 metres (2,000 ft) or more under the sea was captured on film by staff at a Japanese marine park this week.

The Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, was alerted by a fisherman at a nearby port on Sunday that he had spotted an odd-looking eel-like creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth.

Marine park staff caught the 1.6 metre (5 ft) long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a "living fossil" because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.

That is awesome! But it looks longer than 5 feet more like 10-15. If you watch the video a guy swims next to it and it dwarfs him by what looks like about 5+ feet.

Some Footage of this ancient beast!

Edit- The video is of its last few moments of life. It eventually died. Thats why it surfaced.

Isn't it said that we know more about the surface of the moon than the bottom of the Ocean?

Nice find Jebbers!

Yeah, I've heard people say "we know more about the depths of space than the depths of the oceans" or something like that. I can believe that.

that videos actually been around quite a while... i seen that a few weeks ago on discovery channel about the Abyss and all the things that were down there that noone knows about... then they panned off with a shark thingy and showed that clip.

yeah your right we know more about space than the abyss... the pressure prevents us from traveling more than 1.5 miles down and there are some places in the abyss that are 5 miles deep. it would take a pressurized capsule the size of an aircraft carrier to prevent implosion at that depth.

They found life which is completely independent from sunlight. For instance near "black smokers" or where methane is coming out of the ocean's ground. Which is kind of cool, because this increases chances we might find life on places where we though we couldn't find life.

Archived