Home

Lucasfilm opposes trademark registration for Digg.com

Char Ell

So has anybody heard that Lucasfilm has filed in opposition to Digg.com's application to trademark their name? Apparently Lucasfilm thinks "digg" is too close to "The Dig" game LucasArts created back in the mid-1990's and believes Lucasfilm's "The Dig" trademark would suffer if digg is allowed to trademark their name.

link to the filing on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website

I think this is a case of LucasArts just making sure they protect their existing trademark, not LucasArts trying to quash digg.com. I mean, who thinks LucasArts will actually make a sequel to The Dig 10+ years after the original game's release? ;P

LucasArts/LucasFilm is just covering their assets. Most likely the suit will never come to trial since the judge will see that Digg.com does not resemble The Dig videogame. Protecting your brand helps keep money in the coffers so that other products (like KotOR 3) can be developed, so don't be too critical. :)

lolz.... I remember 'The Dig' the Lucas-Spielberg game... that's actually just been re-re released here, along with all the other 'classics that dont work well on xp' range... curse of monkey island's cutscenes are all messed up - but I like the 'CMI intro' (like THX) and 'enable 3d acceleration' gags they threw in..

mtfbwya

LucasArts/LucasFilm is just covering their assets. Most likely the suit will never come to trial since the judge will see that Digg.com does not resemble The Dig videogame. Protecting your brand helps keep money in the coffers so that other products (like KotOR 3) can be developed, so don't be too critical. :)

Lucas has more than 3 billion to his name, i think for the grace of god he is going to be alright....

If somebody (who has taken the time to research this issue) will correct me if I'm wrong on this but all I see here is Lucasfilm working to protect its trademark.

- Digg wants to trademark the term DIGG and has filed a trademark application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to do so.

- Lucasfilm already owns a trademark for THE DIG from its 1995 computer game.

- Lucasfilm feels that DIGG is too close to THE DIG and so has filed in opposition to Digg.com's trademark application for the term DIGG.

- If Lucasfilm prevails then Digg.com won't have a trademark for DIGG and Digg will have to pay Lucasfilm's legal fees.

- If Digg.com prevails then it will have sole rights to use DIGG as a trademark and Lucasfilm will still own THE DIG trademark but will have to pay whatever legal costs they incurred during the process.

That's it. End of story, right? So yeah, one may think this is trivial and Lucasfilm looks foolish for doing this but this is not a matter of Lucasfilm suing Digg.com for a ton of money or something like that. I've read a lot of the blogging on this and for me this issue is an excellent illustration of how unreliable most of the information posted on the Internet is. Many people don't take the time to ensure they know what they are posting about before they do so. :disaprove

Archived