Home

American English speakers: Which accent do you have?

tk102

What American accent do you have?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What American accent do you have?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Belgian, I live in Scotland, and apparently, my accent is:

Your Result: The South

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.

Go figure...

PS: Liking my post count, so I'll shut up for tonight and go play some JO since I feel like some g_saberrealisticcombat action ;)

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

haha makes sense im from pittsburgh and we have our own words >.<

I scored full-on for a Philadelphia accent.

See...although I'm *from* Philadelphia, I've always been roundly rejected as having a "Philadelphia" accent...I'm more accentless than anything; I think I may just enunciate more than other people.

And one key question was conspicuously absent in the determination of the Philly accent: Do you pronunce "water" as "wah-ter" or "wooder" (The keynote of the Philly accent is the latter =)

• 1 month later...

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

That's frickin' hilarious, cuz I *am* Canadian.

And yet...I still thought the folks in Fargo sounded hella weird...

Archived