Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

Except they can charge people rediculous prices for it of course :xp: [/cynic mode]

DX11, advanced media functionality, .net functionality and all these associated SDKs cost money to create and support The most widely deployed Linux solutions in the corporate world(eg. RedHat/Novell etc) cost money too ;)

MS has also been doing alot of R&D into alternative input and display tech. That costs too! :p

@Lynky ... how wonderfully off topic of you. No one has said anything to me about my sig. I suggest you save such queries for a PM. If you see it as something that has to be acted upon, report it.

Have you nothing else to do? Is your wiimote busted? :xp:

mtfbwya

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about? I'm interested in Windows 7 and the future of Windows in general since I'm a user. I'm not going to be using Windows XP forever and this thread happens to point to information that might be useful.

And no, my Wiimote isn't busted, I've just been playing my PS3 lately :dozey:

... I've just been playing my PS3 lately :dozey:

OK. That's it. Who are you and what have you done with the REAL Lynk.

*reports account hackster to admins* :p

OT:

Well, it seems like the Windows 7 name speculation is over. Someone at the Vista Team Blog has just announced that Windows 7 will stay Windows 7 :D

Strata/or cloud will more likely be a server related product.

Of course, I am already dreading the Apple fanboys calling this a rip-off of the Apple OS naming style :(:p

mtfbwya

1 - Windows 3.11

2 - Windows '95

3 - Windows '98

4 - Windows '98SE

5 - Windows ME

6 - Windows 2000

7 - Windows 2003

8 - Windows XP

9 - Windows Vista

10 - Windows 7

We are also missing the NT line up somewhere. How did he get only seven?

1 - Windows 3.11

2 - Windows '95

3 - Windows '98

4 - Windows '98SE

5 - Windows ME

6 - Windows 2000

7 - Windows 2003

8 - Windows XP

9 - Windows Vista

10 - Windows 7

We are also missing the NT line up somewhere. How did he get only seven?

and why does this list start at 3.1 ??

MS have called it W7 for the reason I stated above. It is now even the official name of this OS. Also as mentioned above, if anyone wanted to be pedantic, there are 27+ versions of windows(2 of these as yet unreleased) To be extra finnicky, missing from that list is Windows CE, and the different iterations of XP, server 2003 and Vista, which would take the list closer to 40.

Heres a pretty list, courtesy of wiki

windowslist.jpg

mtfbwya

Of course, I am already dreading the Apple fanboys calling this a rip-off of the Apple OS naming style :(:p

ahem.. *clears throat*

Windows 7?! :swear:

This is nuthin' but a frikkin' rip-off of Apple's OS naming style!?! :carms:

[/fanboi rant]

(felt it would lessen the blow coming from me :joy: )

Astrotoy7,

I was replying to this line in the article -

Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense.

I wasn't trying to be all knowing. I was just stating a fact of it not being the seventh release of Windows.

Why are people so sensitive in these forums?

---- Edit Added----

Nevermind, I just reread my post. I asked a question, but I already had the answer. :migraine::headbump :headbump

for Pete's sake, all this commotion over whether this is the 7th version of Windows when i was referring to the "Strata" name.....

and for the sake of everyone's sanity: who really cares if its the 7th version of Windows or not?? in the long run, its not going to affect anything in our little world of tech geeks. ;)

back to tech news, Tom's Hardware has posted a pretty complete breakdown of Intel's Nehalem design. they've taken some pages from AMD, and it looks like it'll pay some nice dividends in terms of memory performance. article here.

Astrotoy7,

I was replying to this line in the article -

I wasn't trying to be all knowing. I was just stating a fact of it not being the seventh release of Windows.

Why are people so sensitive in these forums?

---- Edit Added----

Nevermind, I just reread my post. I asked a question, but I already had the answer. :migraine::headbump :headbump

lolz.. sensitive! I just like to lay out the full facts :D

MS seem to think its No7. Theyre payin for people to make it. 7 it shall be !!

@chainz... lol... yes, it is a total rip-off, because Apple did invent numbers of course, didnt they?! :p

Myself, Blakes7, Brad Pitt(from the movie Se7en), and The 7 Wonders of the Ancient World are considering filing a class action lawsuit against MS over their use of the numeral "7" :D

re-Nehalem, Good ole Intel. Must be taking shortcuts on the R&D side. The AMD fanboy in me giggled profusely when it was reported that the new uberchip can be literally destroyed by using performance RAM that operates at >1.65 volts. Now considering the types that use performance RAM are types that want to buy the latest and greatest CPUs, this isnt really a clever move. :xp:

93878_highvoltageramdamagesnehalem.jpg

Source: The Intel Lovin' Inquirer

mtfbwya

has the penny finally dropped jmac? what a week of revelations this has been :D

btw, who's that cute girl on your blog page ?

OT:

Hardware company with the geekiest name ever, Gigabyte, have released their variant of the Core 216, called the GTX 260 OC

longstory short = on par with the GTX 280 and 4870 1024 for HD settings :) Anything up to 1600x1200 maintains great FPS even on the newest games on high settings

full review HERE

mtfbwya

hehe... here's one that reminded me of our beloved admin, Mr Crazy Glasses tk102....

Japanese tech nerds develop energy saving shoe

10-20-08-ntt-energy-shoe.jpg

mtfbwya

Whoa, while I was out running today, I was thinking of how it was too bad I couldn't turn some of my running energy into electricity. I was thinking of something like a flywheel attached to a magnetic coil and a battery but I couldn't figure out where it could be worn.

That's kind of cool as a proof-of-concept though, you gotta admit.

That's kind of cool as a proof-of-concept though, you gotta admit.

this coolness is thoroughly negated by the severe un-coolness of pairing some decent pinstripe slacks with stuff from radioshack stuck onto a pair of sandals :D

@jmac : cmon, is that you or not? :p Your net aura is so unladylike, the thought that you are indeed a girl is disturbing. Even the butchest of baltic weightlifting women have pink kittens as avatars when they get online :D

mtfbwya

Whoa, while I was out running today, I was thinking of how it was too bad I couldn't turn some of my running energy into electricity. I was thinking of something like a flywheel attached to a magnetic coil and a battery but I couldn't figure out where it could be worn.
Nooooo! I was already imagining some kind of iPod gadget with wires attached to your foot while jogging...add a Balaclava to that and you'll definitely need a lawyer to save you (if you're still alive!) :xp:

OK. Time for some Astro equivalent of crack = screen pwnage

Samsung Unveils worlds largest OLED. 40" 1920 x 1080p

WANT!

10-30-08-samsung-40-oled.jpg

Samsung again, with UFD PDP.... 63 inches display 4,096 x 2,160 pixels I'd be happy to make do with one until Super Hi Vision(SHV) hits us in 5-7 years in glorious 7,680 x 4,320p

WANT!

UFDPDP.jpg

Japanese Company Shinoda unveils 125 inch flexible plasma 0.1mm thick :D Non HD rez only atm as only production models are for digital signage. But I'd love of those at UHD for my pc gamin...phaw!

WANT!

curvedPlasma.jpg

Im scared to think of what display tech will be like in 20 years time, dang!

In some more traditional fare: CPU nerds & Intel fans are rejoicing at the numbers posted from Corei7. Makes C2D look old and slow. AMD do indeed have a momentous task if they want even to run in the same lane as that damn Intel.

corei7.jpg

An excessive amount of further benchie screens here. I wonder what our resident CPU Guru Q thinks of it all... AMD fought back with GPUs, can they do it with CPUs???

Speaking of AMD... here's G3Ds review of the 4870X2 with 2048mb framebuffer. As far as performance goes, the new ubercard just got more some more uber :p Same reservations about heat and power raised, but this thing destroyed every game maxxed at 2560x1600p, except crysis(where it managed 22fps average).. but COD4, Mass Effect at 80fps at 1600p, whoa! c'mon nvidia....wheres your response damnit!

mtfbwya

**** yeah!

(Do I need to say anymore than that?)

lolz.. you like the screens or the Corei7 benchies Lynky? I'm guessing the former in case .. no pun intended :D

I mentioned 20 years time... will we have HD 3D Interactive Projection? Interactive and Projection technologies are being continuously worked on but far from being a viable thing for a pc or console gamer, or anywhere near HD.... I think 20 years will cover it :D

mtfbwya

hmm.. here's some big-ish type news:

MS kicks nvidia and ATI in the nuts: No hybrid SLI for Windows 7

Good idea IMO. the whole idea was weird from the start. The chipsets on that came with hybrid mainbaords were crud. The only possible users that may be miffed by this are those with lappies that support this feature...

and

AMD ditches 500 employees(more) Sure its not Intels cumulative 15,000, but it still isnt good. Definitely a reflection fo their restructure though, and perhaps their flagging CPU performance?

The 48xx GPUs gave AMD a shot in the arm, but they really need to get their act together in the CPU game, especially after the blistering performance posted by Corei7. Do AMD R&D peeps have the skillz? :p

mtfbwya

Archived