Home

Guild Wars: Jumping is way overrated

Rogue Nine

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jae got me into Guild Wars, and I have to say it's the most gaming fun I have had since KotOR. While the game itself is great, what really makes it stand out is the guild I got into. Jae, Rogue Nine, Stoffe, Inyri, and I are all in the same guild, and they and others have helped me a lot in figuring out how to get through some of the more difficult parts. The people in our guild are also great at answering questions or providing resources to get that max armor for your survivor character.

I hope that GW2 does not change the fact that when I enter an explorable area, it is my private little world. I would seriously hate it if the problems of WoW make their way into GW.

• 2 weeks later...

Special event in Guild Wars this weekend, the Dragon Festival, with a bunch of extra minigames, quests and mission(s). All fun and games... in theory.

Allow me to vent some frustration over this thing that someone presumably intended as entertainment; the special "mission" of the Dragon Festival where you're supposed to deal with invading monsters and close the rifts they emerge through.

The design philosophy of this mission appears to be:

1. Gimp the player by only allowing a 4 man party instead of the usual 8.
  2. Let's use the hardest enemies in the game, the lot from The Underworld and Realm of Torment will do.
  3. Set up half the enemies as ambushing pop-ups, and the other half on long, unpredictable intersecting patrols to make any attempt at pulling and aggro management futile.
  4. Oh, and when the poor fools who play this inevitably fail and die, don't let them adjust their party and try again for another 8 hours.
  5. And finally let's round off with a pathetic reward for the lucky few who actually manage to survive, as final insult.

Needless to say, the end result was about as fun to play as pulling out all your teeth without anesthetic. Things like that makes you wonder if game designers really try to produce entertainment or if they find some sick pleasure in making other people annoyed. :)

I couldn't agree with you more, Stoffe.

I realised that GW was dying a few months ago. I watched at all my characters, all equiped with 15k armor...and I couldn't bring myself to play. And an event like the Dragon festival won't do that either. I hope they come with some new content soon.. :(

I tried playing with the 2 week demo very very long ago, friend gave me one of his "trial" codes. Can't say I ever got into it, I didn't play any other MMOs at the time so it's not like I had anything to compare it to. Dunno why I didn't really like it, maybe it was the MMO part being mostly limited to the towns, the rest of the world seemed so empty even Oblivion had more life to it. Never understood anything beyond the basic classes either, too confusing.

I've thought about picking it up since I'm somewhat bored with WoW atm, but I just can't find it in myself to drop that much money(even though I just did for some comics).

Well, Ztalker and Web Rider, any time you feel like playing, just let us know. We'll come and make a merry band of players. :)

Regarding the Dragon festival--the quests were fun. The mini-games every 2 hours were amusing and rather profitable--I made probably close to 5k gold worth of tokens running around collecting the little glowing balls and evading the monsters. That's not including the approximately 50 gifts I got after the mini-game, 4 of which had a nice bonus of 1000 gold for me.

The missions, however, were not just hard, they were stupid-hard, as in the design was so ridiculously difficult the only way you could possibly survive was if you were an elite and very experienced player, which I'm not. The only person I know who made it through those missions routinely plays in the elite dungeons in hard mode and has played regularly since Prophecies came out. If the reward had been worth it I would have stuck it out and tried a few more times, but I decided it was worth more just running around Cantha with my various characters to do the quests. Anyway, I generally had a good time at the festival, especially since it brought in guild members we don't normally see very often.

The only thing that bugs me right now is that they nerfed Shadow Form about 2 days after I put together my armor for the perma-sin build, so I never really got a chance to use the build. Fortunately it's still usable with a couple modifications, and I didn't have to buy the shadow arts rune (which was running at 18k at the time) since I got it in a drop. I understood why they did it (ecto and obsidian prices were bottoming out), but it would have been nice to get a little gold out of it. :D

Flattery gets you nowhere, Jim! I've tried, believe me. :s
Pfft, when do you ever flatter me? :p

Besides, that sounded more like Jim agonizing over having to admit he was in a guild with me. I feel the lurve.... :(

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back into this game and made a E/N prophecies. Im level 8 and about to leave presearing, Im wondering what a good build is for E/N, I remember back when I first started playing firestorm could kill anything since monsters just sat there and took the damage instead of fleeing but I guess that patched that so I dont know what is really powerful anymore, anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, that has been patched, but I think for PvE the element Fire is still very effective. My E/Mo is a Fire Elementalist, and did a great job. Don't remember it's build, though, it's been a while. I think I used Fire Storm a pretty long time throughout the Prophecies campaign, however. Lava Font, too.

I just got back into this game and made a E/N prophecies. Im level 8 and about to leave presearing, Im wondering what a good build is for E/N, I remember back when I first started playing firestorm could kill anything since monsters just sat there and took the damage instead of fleeing but I guess that patched that so I dont know what is really powerful anymore, anyone have any suggestions?

Firestorm is still useful and can do tons of damage, though you have to be more careful about when you use it. Often enemies might run out of it, but have usually taken a fair amount of damage already. Also, if enemies are snared, crippled or but in a position where they can't easily move away (bodyblocked by warriors in your party or necromancer minions for example) you can make them get hit by the full duration.

The fire skill set I currently use on my elementalist uses AoE spells that deal damage over time, and seems to work well against most groups of enemies I've tried it against so far. (If you're interested the skill template code is: OgdToYm6xpYQMKi+ClBwYBiMAA)

If you prefer more direct damage spells, things like Fireball, Rodgort's Invocation and Liquid Flame are pretty powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm..an update...I hope it'll be something like Sorrow's Furnace. I loved that place! :D

And still, school's going fubar, it might be wise to switch back from WoW (with the money-pressure) to Guild Wars. Alfred, fetch me my Elementalist cane (and Droknar's sword while you're at it....)

• 3 weeks later...

Having played Guild Wars for a while now I've gotten to the point where I've explored most of the normal areas of the game, so I thought it might be interesting to take a closer look at the so called "elite" areas of the game as well and see what they have to offer. Since these places likely are a lot harder than the parts of the game where I usually play, I guess using heroes and henchmen, if even possible, would make it much too challenging.

So I'm wondering if any of the GW-playing people around here would be interested in teaming up for doing any of these areas :)

Slavers' Exile

Sorrow's Furnace

The Underworld

Domain of Anguish

The Deep

Urgoz Warren

well i haved played guild wars it is a great game but i personally think Swg And WoW is better i like that you can be higher level so here is how the level is for each online game i played

Swg=90

WoW=70 soon 80

GW=20

Guild Wars isn't about level grinding. To base your opinion of a game off of how big the number is next to your name is a little pathetic. :rolleyes:

well i do know it's not about level grinding but still it felt so low level with just 20 levels but partly i don't like it i because when i installed Gw a couple a weeks ago made a new charater an Assassin/Warrior it worked fine for a long time but the there was just missions all the time and i died a lot i'm very skilled at the game but i could not get it to work without me at least dying once it's still a great game but i just got angry for failing over and over again i don't get angry in WoW or Swg because i almost always make it and then one reason is my best friend is playing Swg and my other friends WoW

But GW is still good game but it's not for me

Yeah i know people hate Swg but one has to make the best of it and still it's one of my favourite games nobody is going to change that.

Now when they shut Swg down for this Kotor MMO i be missing it :( i mean it's according to me one of the best games i ever played but i will surely just change to this kotor MMO and i do hope they make it really great but if i don't like i just start playing WoW again.:D

Now this thing with that Swg is a crappy game according to that it can't be that bad i see when i play it loads no enormous people playing it and for one thing i asked in the cantina not so long ago i asked all that was in there if they like this games i mostly got yes for answer so it can't be that bad

This isn't a 'rag on SWG' thread, it's a GW thread. ;)

I might reinstall GW over the course of the next days, Stoffe. Maybe I can come along...my guild has kicked me anyways :xp:

I'll need some time to get back at though. All builds must have changed and nerfed...

Aw, Ztalker, you can come play with me anytime. :)

Archived