Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's the new KOTOR and it's single player awesome! If it's a new KOTOR and it's an MMORPG I won't complain; as long as it's better then SWG. Also, they might make it single player then once you beat the main game you can play it as an MMORPG or something. None the less, I'm sure they won't let millions of fans down.

Then again I did say that before Star Wars I-II came out... lol

I wouldn't mind a KotOR MMO. In fact, it's probably the only Star Wars setting I would consider playing an MMORPG in.

Yet, like many others I want a single-player conclusion to the RPG series quite a bit more.

Would I accept both? Hellz yes, but while I have no background in game design and production it would seem to me that developing two RPGs covering similar material concurrently is, while not impossible, probably quite unlikely.

My fear is that a KotOR MMO will take precedent in LA's minds, and that will likely mean that either a) it will be many many more years before KotOR3 is in my hands, b) the KotOR single-player RPG story will be abandoned, or c) the MMO will wrap up the loose story elements from the two single-player RPGs and there will be no KotOR3.

Of those three, my heart tells me © is the likely course of action, not the least of which because unless the MMO is set before the KotOR RPG series (not impossible, but given the EU content that exists covering that era unlikely IMO) plot points in the MMO will depend on the outcome of events that would have transpired in KotOR3, in which case important parts of the game will be spoiled for us anyway. To be sure, there's a large period of time the MMO could be set in and still be worthy of the KotOR name, yet there must needs be ties between events known to have happened before and after in the Star Wars universe.

I am probably in the minority in thinking that, while not prefered, a MMO _could_ conclude the KotOR storyline adequately in the right hands. My concern is whether LA has the will to allow an appropriate level of story depth in a KotOR MMO that could even come close to rivaling WoW not to mention fulfilling the promise of the single-player RPGs. Star Wars is one of the few franchises that can hope to compete with WoW, and yet if LA thinks players will accept a clearly inferior game and thus rush to milk money from subscribers (or whatever system they use) sooner, they're in for a rude awakening I fear.

well you seem to be forgetting about the 5 year gap betwwez 1 and 2. id rather just a single player expieience but hey. kotor 3 could wrap up the story ultimately and an MMO could take place in the gap between 1 and 2 .soooo problem solved? if LA is smart they would do that but they are in fact a corporation and they might be jerks about it.

See, I'm one to think that walking over ground already tread is a weakness in the time periods everyone suggests for a KotOR MMO. Some place where we can include some battles and lots of Jedi are still around is not good enough.

Even though a miniscule portion of WoW players pay even a moment's notice to the storylines present in WoW's Burning Crusade, they underly the quests and items and character advancement in such a way that the game world itself transcends the sum of the player playing in it...there is, in essence, a greater purpose to the game than just players killing stuff, and each other. A KotOR MMO will fail in the long run if in the end it amounts to nothing but a big sandlot game. Yet confining oneself to a story already told, at least in part, by the SRPGs limits what can be done to be creative and build a galaxy that people will want to play in even after they've maxed out their level and can kill a good portion fo the other players in the game. There's a tendency, I think, to say that the Star Wars setting is already well-developed and the storylines in place that using them that's there makes all the sense in the world, and yet I fear that would be a grave mistake for long-term sustainability. Connect your game to its broader setting, yes, but let it tell its own story.

That's all in my very ignorant and humble opinion of course.

The problem with an MMORPG is that EVERYBODY wants to be the center of attention. How can you be the uber Jedi savior of the galaxy if everybody has done all the same things you have.

I used to work as a Game Master on EQ, EQII, and sometimes SWG. On all of these games, we had players that would be doing quests that they didn't even understand. They would just read the walkthrough online, and do the steps necessary, without knowing the story behind it.

When I was a player of MMORPGs, I did the same thing. This was because the stories were never that good, and it didn't make sense that a certain NPC would ask 300,000 different people to do the exact same task for him. There were no unique stories for different players. No matter what you did, it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

My first time playing KOTOR, I was amazed at how easy it was to get immersed in the game. Even though I was following a script laid out for me by development, I was not playing with a bunch of people who had already done the same things that I had. I was the hero of the game, and that was quite fun. The story progressed when I did something. That is something that doesn't happen in any MMORPGs I have played.

I haven't really gotten into any MMORPGs since I first played KOTOR. It is my hope that there is a KOTOR 3, and that it is a single player RPG.

Guys, give it a chance.

People criticize a game that they have never touched (how can they, it has not even been announced yet, and probably has two years more to be released).

If Bioware's interview about the game and its dynamics are true, I think most of the concerns here are unfounded.

Guys, give it a chance.

People criticize a game that they have never touched (how can they, it has not even been announced yet, and probably has two years more to be released).

If Bioware's interview about the game and its dynamics are true, I think most of the concerns here are unfounded.

Words of wisdom Lloyd... words of wisdom. ~ Jack Torrance

BioWare are renowned for their single player, story driven RPGs. Why change that now?

How do you know your possibilities if you don't try? I have every faith that Bioware can make an MMO, and I think they(it) will be some(one) of the best in video gaming to date. You can't just pound something because you don't like the idea-look at it, try and understand (not agree, understand) and then make you choice.

The only thing I have against a MMO is that why would you make two SPRPGs (KOTOR 1 and 2) and then finish the series in a MMO? That just doesn't make any sense. LA would make ALOT more money if they finished KOTOR the way they started it (SPRPG). Not to mention Galaxies was horrible. Anyway, that's what I think.

The only thing I have against a MMO is that why would you make two SPRPGs (KOTOR 1 and 2) and then finish the series in a MMO? That just doesn't make any sense. LA would make ALOT more money if they finished KOTOR the way they started it (SPRPG). Not to mention Galaxies was horrible. Anyway, that's what I think.

Not to be curt to you, but if income is any indication of a game's profitability, your completely wrong.

Otherwise, there would be no MMO market.

MMOs do bring in quite a bit of revenue over a very extended period of time. Do the math: $15 per month per account spread across X-number of subscribers (lets put a conservative number at 200,000). Thats the monthly revenue. Then add the revenue from sales of the actual physical box-title (lets say, $50) per whatever number of people buy them. I can't give exact figures, because its completely hypothetical - but I'm betting sales for a Bioware title would be big. I'll be conservative at 1,000,000 (Mass Effect sold that much in three weeks).

Its quite lucrative. Its no mistake that EA has let slip that they anticipate Bioware generating $300 million annually in 2009/2010.

Galaxies performance does not indicate the design or performance of Bioware's project either. Its confirmed that Bioware's MMO is to be much more story-driven than previous MMOs, and I'm betting that the "Galaxies sandbox style" won't be a priority (and I'm not making any critical judgment on that).

A direct sequel just may not be an immediate priority of Lucasarts or Bioware. An MMO would not be published intending to 'finish' the series. It would add to the franchise, but I doubt that it would conclusively finish it.

Not to be curt to you, but if income is any indication of a game's profitability, your completely wrong.

Otherwise, there would be no MMO market.

MMOs do bring in quite a bit of revenue over a very extended period of time. Do the math: $15 per month per account spread across X-number of subscribers (lets put a conservative number at 200,000). Thats the monthly revenue. Then add the revenue from sales of the actual physical box-title (lets say, $50) per whatever number of people buy them. I can't give exact figures, because its completely hypothetical - but I'm betting sales for a Bioware title would be big. I'll be conservative at 1,000,000 (Mass Effect sold that much in three weeks).

Its quite lucrative. Its no mistake that EA has let slip that they anticipate Bioware generating $300 million annually in 2009/2010.

Galaxies performance does not indicate the design or performance of Bioware's project either. Its confirmed that Bioware's MMO is to be much more story-driven than previous MMOs, and I'm betting that the "Galaxies sandbox style" won't be a priority (and I'm not making any critical judgment on that).

A direct sequel just may not be an immediate priority of Lucasarts or Bioware. An MMO would not be published intending to 'finish' the series. It would add to the franchise, but I doubt that it would conclusively finish it.

Good point. I stand corrected.

What makes everyone so sure this will be an mmo anyway?

So far most of the rumors tend to point in that direction, but nothing is officially stated from LA or Bioware.

As far as the whole "Bioware is known for.... blah blah blah."

Was Blizzard known for MMO's until WoW? Now 9 million+ subscribers at $15 monthly. That's $135 million MONTHLY. That's 1.6 BILLION annually. from 1 game alone. Granted there is a bit more overhead involved, but that is a significant dollar amount. Especially from a company that was best known for their RTS games.

Well, one thing about the "why do a mmo to finish a series of sprpgs?" question, is that it has only been since kotor got really popular that mmorpgs have really come into their own. Before wow, we really only had evercrack and asheron's call to look at (as well as D&D online and swg, but they suck), and they got old quick. Wow is the one that really revved up the market and made the mile wide crater impact in the mmo market. Wow brings in HUGE money, and LA may be trying to cash in on that big ol' pig.

As for the mmo of Old Republic times, there is a HUGE time span to play with. We are looking at 4000 years BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin). The only really significant event after kotor is the Battle of Ruusan at 1000 BBY, or aproximately there abouts. In fact, it is the end of the war at Ruusan that the current republic of Ep. 1-3 was established. There is so much that could have happened in the 3000 years that a good mmo could be done. Lots of sith, lots of jedi, and so on and so forth.

Personaly, I would like to see a kotor 3 sprpg, as I hate the mmorpg, or "morepig" as I call it. I pay for my games; why should I pay every month for something I have already shelled out $50-$70 bucks for in the first place?

But that's another rant alltogether.

Alright guys, humor me a little. I'm playing Mass Effect right now. Call me "crazy", but I think Mass Effect might possibly be a test run game for a possible future Kotor3. The similarities are scary close to what a next-gen Star Wars should be. Take out the silly armored vehicle, change the planet names, switch out space ships, and alien species. What are you left with people???? KOTOR3!!!!!!

I decided to get my shovel out and dig online for a good 3 hrs for MMO information. :cowdance

Heres the very, very, tiny bit of actual information that is valid. (I think..:D)

-It uses will use Simultronics HeroEngine. http://www.play.net/playdotnet/platform/

-James Ohlen (Neverwinter Nights, Baulders Gates, and yes, KOTOR.) will be the lead designer.

-Its being developed in their new Austin studio.

-LucasArts and BioWare Corp. announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product.

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

-Games for Windows Magazine actually was able to talk about the MMO with:

James Ohlen, creative director

Gordon Walton, co-studio director

Rich Vogel, co-studio director of product development

About a lot of the philosophy behind the game.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

Related Rumors:

-LucasArts is rumored to be revoking Sony Entertainments license for Starwars Galaxies.

And..interestingly enough...the studio incharge of Galaxies is located in Austin, Texas. The same area which BioWare just opened up shop.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24466266

-A source close to PrimoTech.com confirmed that BioWare's MMO will take place in the KoTor Universe.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

Other Possibilities:

-Dragon Age MMO could definitely seem like a possibility. Poping an MMO up from their own original game. BioWare has stated multiple times they want to focus on their own independent material. In the 1up interview, the mention of LOTR and Dragons leads me to believe its a Medieval Fantasy MMO. (Though it could just be misdirection.) The HeroEngine also seems most suitable to it.

-Mass Effect MMO is also rumor. The untitled MMO in question has release dates guessed at 2009-2011 (With EA having taken over, the date is speculated to change.) and with both Mass Effect 1 & 2 already in pre-development it could happen.

-Jade Empire MMO has been speculated. Aswell as the sequel to the origianl having its own heavy rumors abound. Meh.

-Monkey Island MMO is a definate possibility. I need no explanation as to why. :p

So. In conclusion. I didn't find squat.

^-^

Lucas and BioWare got it wrapped up pretty tight. Gotta keep our eyes and ears open. 0.0

There is NO official conformation that the game Lucas/Bioware are making is an MMO, or that it is KOTORish.

I wouldn't have a problem with a !Pre-KOTOR MMO! And !ONLY! Pre-KOTOR Era.

But IMVHO...

I would perfer KOTOR 3 the Single Player RPG...:D

^^^

I'll be surprised if we get any announcement related to the LucasArts/BioWare project during CES. It doesn't seem like a likely forum for this to happen since CES is more about hardware than software. But who knows, maybe they'll unveil their secret "interactive entertainment product" is a *gasp* real lightsaber! :freakout:;) Now that would be interactive!!!

"Dude!!! That was my arm you just hacked off with your saber!"

"Chill man. I was just interacting with you, that's all." :D

EDIT: Well, I do believe I found the source of southern_fox's statement about LucasArts announcing games at CES.

Gaming software will also have a showing, though CES isn't known as a mecca for gamers. LucasArts will unveil new games, and Microsoft and Sony may have something up their own sleeves.
Source: Information Week - Gates To Kick Off CES, And Big Push By Microsoft

Blast my doubting self!!! ;) So I'll be paying closer attention to news out of CES now...

EDIT 2: Hmmm... According to CNBC LucasArts will unveil Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Fracture at CES. Well, maybe they'll give us something more than demos of games they've already announced.

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”

“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., “The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market.

I think these two paragraphs tell you the whole story. BioWare's talent for entertaining and telling stories is top-notch. I personally believe that "The Knights of the Old Republic I" was the best in the series, and the above two paragraphs echo what several people who I have talked have said. Even though they may have been bought out by EA, I think BioWare is the best in the buisness for RPGs and MMORPGs. I think Lucas Arts has finally shown that they care about their fans and products. I hope this leads to a success run of new RPGs and other style games. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived