Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

Welcome to the 2008 thread!

I realize it is a day early but I'm on the left coast and many of you get here well before I do.

Here's to another year filled with crappy work days, killing innocent animals, unrequited love, curling and, hopefully, dental school acceptance!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK.

I'll bite!

Here we are. A New Thread of The Sheer Awesomeness the XWA Stallions are capable of on a daily basis!

Well, once again: I hope that 2008 turns out to be the absolute best that any of us have ever had. I hope we can all look back in a decade and realize that '08 was the turning point that led to each of our personal glories!

And, barring that as an utterly unrealistic pipe-dream... I just certainly hope it isn't completely lousy for anybody.

In other words:

If ecstasy is an unreachable goal,.. then my wish for you all is boredom, instead of tragedy.

Good luck to us all.

I still can't believe that I don't have to work tonight. I'm just waiting for the call that says it was all a prank.

Have a happy new year everyone!

And this is the year that has your favorite lensman in the first page, instead of being MIA over at XWAU

I have a few resolutions.. simple ones that only require ME to accomplish them

1. Get a cat this spring

2. Take ballroom dancing lessons

3. Walk across a lake (the one nearest to me is frozen, and about a mile wide)

THe others require a bit more luck, fortune and divine intervention

1. Get a girlfriend

2. get a raise at work

Regardless I know I am going to enjoy myself with a new pad, a good job, and a whole year to look forward to

*puts on helmet and grabs a cricket bat*

I'm ready... bring it on!

happy new year everyone

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And days o' auld lang syne

For auld lang syne, my dear,

for auld lang syne,

we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

Dick Clark just isn't the same after his stroke, he must have stabbed his portrait.

I'm not sure what I was doing right at midnight. Probably playing either Half Life 2,.. or maybe Portal (****in' awesome, addictive game, BTW... but you probably already know that...) since that's all I've been doing since about 10:30 tonight.

Yeah... I'm party animal. :dozey:

Well, not a great start to '08... but it is a start.

Beats working while watching everybody else have a good time.

And if I remember correctly, last year at this time I was deathly sick with a cold, and depressed.

So... having a good time playing vid games sure beats the hell out of that.

Come to think of it: maybe it isn't such a bad start to the year after all! :)

Happy 2008 everyone!

I think the last two Silvester nights before that one were hardcore enough so I figured so why not do nothing this time. And so I started the year doing ... nothing. :dozey:

Okay that's not quite right, me and the two girls watched some fireworks going on, and lil' Rayston slept like a death stone. :)

Then later I went all into the intarwub and tk102 and I got our asses presented on a silver plate by X server issues. XD

copied and pasting my resolution/s:

primary objectives:

1. Build up my credit history

1a. By using credit card to purchase parts so i can build a nice computer

2. Run 2 miles in 15 minutes and run a few times a week

secondary objectives:

1. Enlist in the military

2. Get a girlfriend

bonus objectives:

1. Pay off the car

2. Get married

Last night i kicked ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in Call of Duty 4. I am getting much better, my kills are higher than my deaths. :) i've been calling in UAVs alot, almost getting good enough to call in more airstrikes.

Apparently we got pounded last night, when i got up this morning, i looked out the window and the vehicles are covered in 4+ inches of snow!!! holy crap. I bet the roads aren't even plowed. 4WD'n it to work i guess. It will probably be so slow there today too, and i've got printer maintenance this month, so i'll have something to do at least!

Tonight I'll be on Xbox Live around 9 or 10pm until whenever i get tired (3am most likely) i was on til 2am last night, didn't even realize it was that late until i checked the time.

Still got a cold, but it's subsiding. I'll need to pick up another thing of medicine to kill it off completely, or i could just drink a gallon of water.

That's nice,.. although when you said "l33t producer skillz" I was really expecting something different... such as a full on techno-dance remix. I kept waiting for the phat drum-machine beatz and LFO-filter swept pulsing synth part to kick in.

:joy:

What effects did you use on that, and how did you do it? Plug-ins?

Did you record the original track also?

That's nice,.. although when you said "l33t producer skillz" I was really expecting something different... such as a full on techno-dance remix. I kept waiting for the phat drum-machine beatz and LFO-filter swept pulsing synth part to kick in.

:joy:

What effects did you use on that, and how did you do it? Plug-ins?

Did you record the original track also?

Heh, no, I didn't want to change the actual music. If I had, I would have recorded myself singing the tenor and bass parts, and put a great orchestral arrangement behind it. In fact...nah.

And no, I didn't record the original track. All I had to work with was that original wma file. If I had recorded it, it would have been of significantly higher quality, and the two voices would have been on different tracks, instead of stuck together, which limits your options considerably.

I did this in Cubase, yeah with some plug-ins. First, I duplicated the file and put it on a second track. I panned the original to the left and the copy to right, and also delayed the one on the right by 0.075 seconds. That spread out the sound a little and gave the impression of more voices. Then I applied a little EQ. Then I put a little chorus on both tracks to enhance the effect of there being more voices or at least more sound. Finally, I put some cathedral-style reverb on it. I hate messing around with knobs and finding the right settings for effects, and I'm no good at it anyway, so I just used presets.

okay... the new year did not start out good.

Things went fine until I decided to go help my dad play musical cars in his driveway. Currently they have 4 cars in the driveway at night.

Ford F-450 Bucket truck my dad uses for work (Charter Cable)

1996 VW passat (old, worn out, works) my mom drove that out to see a movie

2002 VW Jetta Transmistions out, waiting til he finds a used transmission

1989 VW Fox, found out the battery was dead

Passat was in road. Had to use Ford to pull Fox forward so we could jump it (Did I mention the driveway had packed snow hills on it? so we couldn't push them)

Pull fox out and put it in driveway first, we move Jetta and try to use my car to push it. I get stuck in a drift and when I go check to see how it is stuck, the car decides to lock its doors. It is running, and I have no key with me to unlock the door. after trying to unlock it for 15 minutes in the 10 degree weather I convince my dad to call a locksmith.

Since the fox died while we were fussing with my car, we had to turn around the Ford to jump it again, so we could push the Passat.

The I had to wait an hour for the locksmith... took him about 5 minutes to pop it back open.

I HATE my Buick car .. if you are going to put "Features" in the car, the owner should be able to disable them easily by himself. I mean... to have a car lock while the car is running, and standing still? STUPID!

Huh. Weird.

Keep a spare key on you at all times, I guess. In your wallet, maybe.

First day of new year (and last day of vacation) was pretty chill. Did some reading. Played some games. Me and my buddy finished the Halo Campaign.

(Sorry, 15... we had some issues at first just getting it to run. He couldn't find the save game... By the time that got sorted out, I didn't see you online at the time, so we could send the invite. We could have used you, too: those last couple of levels were tough going! But we might do the whole thing again in a week or 2 on a tougher skill level... and try to get a lot of people in on it. Plus, we are now both itching for some head-to-head death match action. Anything like that we do I'll definitely bring you in on. I'll start the next campaign from my machine too... to make the invites for you guys easier.)

Archived