Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

looks like i picked a bad day to WANT to go in for an eye exam so i can get me some contacts. i called at around 9, and no answer. damn it. -_- at least i didn't go in...think i'll give another call at around 10am, and see if anyone is there. i really want some contacts. going to go with the focus dailies. hopefully the eye exam doesn't go over $150, i'll be putting it on the credit card.

i need to mail out a check and pay off the first bill i got for turok. lol eaaaaasy.

wish it weren't snowing!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the plan.

They are multi-track recording the show... so they want all the instruments miked individually. And we only have 64 lines split to the recording rig. A lot of stuff is going to have to be tied together down the same mic lines using XLR Y-cables.

Is there any point in micing all the string players individually? That seems kind of pointless to me.

Is there any point in micing all the string players individually? That seems kind of pointless to me.
You're preachin' to the choir here, son!

If I ever mic strings at all, it's by "desks" or maybe groups of 4.

But in the case of this show, there is a producer... and he is the boss of my boss's boss... VP of something-or-other important to the college.

So... yeah.

I'm here to just do what I'm told.

For an orchestra this size in my hall I wouldn't have a single mic on stage except for maybe vocalists. Period.

But I guess the logic for the recording is this: Leave yourself as many options as possible.

If we have a string player who is out of tune, time, or intonation, we can mute that single string player's track without affecting the rest. If you have section mics, there's little you can do, and have to live with the crummy player, or kill all the strings from that section in the mix.

The best solution is to hire players that don't suck... but that can be far trickier than just putting a mic on each one and sorting it out later in the mix.

It's all academic for this show anyway: we don't have enough mics, cables or channels to record each separately... so there will be section mics or groupings on tracks anyway.

But for this show last year, each string player had a pickup or a contact mic, and we took each individually.

But this year we have more than double the number of violinists we did last time. And more horn players. And a larger rhythm section. And a lot more singers.

And we ran out of space on stage then. And we used EVERY SINGLE MICROPHONE CABLE AND STAND then, too.

So I still don't know how we are going to make this work...

But I just do what I'm told. I'm not the ideas guy. He has a plan... I can't wait to see it. :dozey:

got my eyes examined! got a trial pair of contacts. took a bit getting used to...the first pair i tried wouldn't come out, so the doctor had to pinch my eyeball. lol i found out that putting eyedrops in before putting contacts in makes it SO MUCH easier! and i was shown the proper way to put contacts in, lenscrafters didn't show me. oh and i found i get 20% off all eyewear and contacts. so on tuesday when i go in for a followup, gonna see how many pairs i want to order.

oh yeah another thing, this 'water drinking' i'm doing, has helped me lose 10 pounds. 15 more and i'll be at maximum weight allowable for reenlistment.

i think i scared the girl away. she hasn't replied to my email or called me.

speaking of phones. i changed my ringtone to B.Y.O.B. so it has that tune when i get a call. pretty fun. :D

gonna go out and chill with my sis and her boyfriend this afternoon.

Good thing happened: service engine light is no longer on. I'm wondering why, but tracker seems to be running fine. maybe it was because i was running low on gas?

I think i'm gonna put all my stuff that i have in storage in my room at the apartment on ebay. aside from the star wars stuff of course.

wow,i haven't been on xbox 360 in over 36 hours. need the break anyways.

I'll probably skip out on bowling tonight, roads are pretty ****ty and i don't want to risk an accident.

School closed at 3.

Rehearsal tonight called off.

But we had a whole crew coming in at 2, so we decided to set it all up today. Left at 5-ish.

Commute wasn't too bad. Had a lot of shoveling out once home though. Awesome.

Back in by 9 am tomorrow. The rehearsal set to run later now, thanks to tonight being nixed. Yippee?

Ahhh... Tired. Depressed.

I think I'll eat and hit bed early again.

oh yeah it sucks....i about wrecked on the way from my apartment to my parents...i was driving along and suddenly i get pulled towards the woods, i stupidly slam the brakes, and end up power-sliding into a bunch of snow. fortunately 4WD got me out of the 'wait til help arrives' situation. no damage done to the car or myself, thank God.

i managed to take my contacts out and giving my eyes a rest. my prescription didn't really change much from what i can tell, the only difference is i have peripheral vision with them on. it will probably take a week to get used to putting them in. i can take them out easily, but putting the one in my right eye is a real pain.

I'm just glad the eye doctor didn't tell me that my sister was pregnant.

Hey! I didn't close it down. As far as I was concerned, they should have run the rehearsal... we were all already there. Slogging back home at 6 couldn't have been all that much different than doing the same at 11.

But with over 60 people involved in this thing, many of them students, perhaps somebody was a bit concerned about liability if someone got into a serious accident after leaving this thing.

Plus: As far as I know,.. none of the musicians get paid much, if anything, to participate in this concert.

Fat chance of having much of a turnout if you didn't cancel it.

But I have seen 90+ inches of snow in a season before. A couple of years ago we had at least that much.

The city does close down in those situations... simply because there's nowhere to push it all out of the way, and traffic through Boston's narrow, winding streets becomes an impossibility.

My GOd you are a bunch of whimpy babies "Oh noes, it is snowing... close everything down!"

The only time we have major closings is when it goes from rain to snow to rain back to snow followed by a freeze

your welcome to have my 90+ inches of snow for the season

yeah but where you live, the department of transportation is probably prepared for it.

bah, in Madison the Dept of Highway maintenance is Nestorius for not plowing the roads. The highways are different because the areas towns have found out they can make a lot of money "renting out" their snow removal equipment to the county

of course i was fortunate to be able to have a dad that took me one morning when i was 16 out to a parking lot that had fresh snow on it, and he told me "Have some fun". IMHO the best way to learn how to control a car in bad conditions

I'm worried...my brother was down here for the usual bi-weekly shopping trip, but he was suffering from a bad cold (w/ fever). My food shopping's done for 2 weeks, but if I catch his cold, it could put my bowling this week in jeopardy (remember, I usually practice on Monday afternoons). I did get some generic Tylenol just in case.

That thing has been going around and kicking everybody's asses all season. If you don't get it this time, you may just luck out... or not.

I had it for a couple of days... but I got over it quicker than most of the people around me, fortunately.

yeah but where you live, the department of transportation is probably prepared for it.

In very snowy places, they don't do anything to the roads because its hopeless. Parking lots in Erie don't have full length lines painted on them because for half the year you won't be able to see the lines anyhow so why spend all the effort on painting them. Roads get plowed once a week or immediately after a four plus inch fall. After those days, the school had a backhoe that went around digging out cars. At one point, there was over 50 inches of snow on the hood of my car thanks to a drift. It was a mild winter. Didn't start snowing until mid-December then once the first flakes came out of the sky they didn't stop until May.

FYI, Madison WI only averages a "mere" 44 inches a season. Erie is the 13th snowiest city in the US at 89 per season. Pittsburgh is 43 (its 55-60 where I live north of the city).

I'm getting bored with my job and not having enough money to do the stuff I want to. Wish I could find something I really wanted to do and also they'd hire me to do it.

Just a wee bit.

Fit them all on there somehow... but I can't say anybody seemed particularly comfortable or happy about it...

Had to get out there and troubleshoot a couple of mic lines yesterday... that was LOADS of fun. :rolleyes:

Like walking through a brier patch... that's also a live minefield.

I HAVE to do some laundry today... if I get to nothing else.

Might take a drive out and look at TVs later... if I feel up to it.

I might wait until after Tax Return time now...

I won't be home much in the next couple of weeks to even enjoy it anyway... and so far this morning I REALLY don't feel much like leaving the house at all today.

Archived