Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't touched a drop in almost 10 years.

Been drunk a couple of times... but really didn't like the sensation. I'm a total control freak. Don't like being out of control of myself in any way, shape, or form.

Never touch the wacky tobbacy anymore either... though I actually liked that sensation slightly better. (Although not by much...)

Work was kinda painful, but now it's over. Ugh.

2 days off. Yay.

Looks like rain all day tomorrow (and maybe the next...) however.

Oh well... A good day to catch up on sleep, and maybe do some much needed housework and chores.

Not fun,.. but it must be done.

How do you tune a guitar to Drop C?

My guitar tuner has the notes as 6e, 5a, 4d, 3g, 2b, 1e, so i don't know how to translate that into Dropped C.

Other than that I'm doing better at guitar than I used to. Working on some of the work that Serj Tankan did for his Elect the Dead album.

Tune all of the strings down a whole step, and then tune the low E string (now tuned to D) another whole step down to C.

If you are planning on exploring alternate tunings, then it's probably best to invest in a chromatic tuner, Cracken.

I personally like the Sabine ones... but any of the digital ones will do the trick.

You may have to go up a couple of string gauges if you are going to tune that low, as well. If you are playing .09s, you may want to go up to 10s or 11s. Otherwise, the strings may buzz, rattle, and generally feel "floppy."

You may also find you'll have to bring the action up slightly. Hopefully the axe won't need a truss-rod adjustment. If you change the strings to something heavier, you might be able to avoid that.

At least you don't play a guitar with a floating bridge, right? That's always a total nightmare when you tune down radically.

so 1e ( the sixth string) becomes tuned to 2b? is that one step down?

No.

B is actually 2 and a half diatonic steps below E (or 5 chromatic steps.) AKA: a 4th.

B - C - D - E

Or:

B <half step> C <whole step> D <whole step> E

Or:

B <1 fret> C <2 frets> D <2 frets> E

Chromatically, it looks like:

B - C - C# - D - D# - E

Or if you are descending the scale:

E - Eb - D - Db - C - B (Small 'b' = 'flat' in this case...)

D is the diatonic pitch directly below E.

If you were just doing standard "Dropped-D" tuning, then all the strings would stay the same except the bottom E, which would become D... one whole step (or 2 chromatic steps) below it.

In standard Drop-D you can play every Soundgarden and Kings-X song ever written, though. ;)

"Drop-C" takes that tuning, and then further drops EVERY string an additional whole step (or 2 chromatic steps)

E - D - C

A - G

D - C

G - F

B - A

E - D

Confused yet?

:joy:

Yay, music theory!

On a standard 6-note guitar tuner, it's difficult to tune in the way that you want.

However:

The 2nd fret on the 6th string is the pitch 'D' You can hold that fret, and tune to "4D" on your tuner.

The 5th string is just G, so tune to "3G" on the tuner with the open string.

The 4th string is the same as the 6th (only an octave higher...) so tune the same way (holding the 2nd fret.)

The 3rd string do the same, (hold the 2nd fret...) only set the tuner to "3G."

The 2nd string set the tuner to "5A" and tune the open string.

The high E tune the open string to "4D."

Hope this helps...

....what? LOL

I understood some of it..... i'll look into it later tonight.

Just finished moving my computer into my room. Got sick of my roomates **** in the main room where I had my computer before hand...... Something about me playing Rock Band and wailing on the cheapo drum kit.

Whatever. That and he's OCD about WoW..... ugh. I mean, I like WoW and all but he's like forgoing sleep for that s*&^. It annoys me a bit.

It's just pictures showing what a very sexy man Janzso is.

:dozey:

Just got the sad news that one of the students who worked for me for the last couple of years, and who recently finished up and went back home to L.A. was killed in a car crash out there yesterday.

Now I feel like ****.

It was feeling like a pretty bleak day for me to begin with, but that just floored me.

Did a lot of playing acoustic guitar today (several hours worth...) and that was really about it all day.

Damn.

went out again last night. i behaved. what i find funny is my friends that i go with don't even go on the dance floor...like why go to a club if u don't want to dance...they like expect girls to just walk up to them or something. i have yet to see that happen. :rolleyes:

Archived