Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday sucked. Sucked harder than the suckiest thing you can imagine. Billions of times harder...

Spent the day mass-murdering micro-organisms. Take that, you filthy microbes!

Basically the day went like this: Scrape away any tiles still stuck on the cellar floor. Scrub clear part of the cellar floor with straight bleach, for a couple of hours. Go over same spot. Go over same spot again... with clear water this time. Repeat.

Once a part of the floor was about as clear as I thought it was ever going to get, then I'd take a short break, wait for it to dry a bit, then move some of the stuff piled up in another part of the room over to that spot, scrape any remaining tiles off the floor there, and the repeat the entire process yet again on the new location.

On and under the tiles was a wonderful combination of mold, fungus, glue powder, just regular old dirt and dust, and puddles of cat urine.

Between breathing mold spores and chlorine fumes all day, my airways got nuked... and I'm having serious trouble breathing today. Not good. So maybe the microbes had the last laugh after all...

At one point, I poured bleach right onto the floor, and it bubbled and sizzled like hydrogen peroxide on a gangrenous wound. Awesome

Plus: I just straight out threw away all the clothes I had working in all day. I thought I knew the meaning of the word "Filthy" before... but I was wrong. Oh so very wrong.

Afterwards, I took the longest, hottest shower in the entire history of long, hot showers... and maybe in all of history itself!

But, the floor is now clear, and hopefully sterile.

Now it's all about moving everything back in there, clearing the dining room, cleaning that room, and then putting the doors back on that room, and putting the cat in there with litter until she proves to us she can use it consistently.

I'm keeping her out of the cellar forever, once I get that room re-structured. Gonna go to IKEA, hopefully this week, or next weekend, get some of the floor tiles and bookshelves I saw there I liked, and finish that room.

I'm taking it back, boys! :D

I just wish taking it back wasn't such a long, grueling, disgustingly dirty process. :(

the paintball event i went to was called castle conquest, me and my friend were on the defender side. it was awesome, lots of people.

going running this morning before work. 3.5 miles yeeeeah.....right lol, i'll be lucky if i can make 1 mile i'm so tired, i should still be sleeping. my next day off work is sunday.

learned my car gets a little over 300 miles a tank. how i found this out? i was on empty, put $10 in...and that got me 75 miles before it was on empty again. scared me a little. but now i know how many miles to expect per $10. :)

edlib cannot seem to catch a break. Ever.

:mad:

The frustration is back, and I can feel the depression lurking just around the corner.

*Sigh*

:(

Got home from work, and set right back in on trying to set up the dining room cat isolation-chamber like I wanted.

Moved everything that was being stored in there down to the cellar, and moved everything cat litter box related up to the now clear dining room.

So far, so good...

It was only when I went to put all the doors back on that I noticed a problem:

The kitchen floor is quite a bit thicker (higher) than it used to be, and the flooring guys put these beautiful rounded moldings across the opening of each door... even thicker and higher than the floor itself.

All the doors are a no-go.

I would have to pull up all the end moldings, or I'd have to buy 3 all new doors, or I'm going to have to shave off almost an inch from the bottom of each door.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting my hands on a circular saw, and making the cut.

Pulling the moldings up isn't really an option.

Mom says she wants all new doors... but that's going to set me back at least 500 to a 1000 dollars I really don't want to spend right now... especially on something that's supposed to be a temporary fix.

Once we are pretty confident the cat will use the litter consistently, we won't have to keep her isolated any longer, and I'm sure the doors will all come back down again, since it's way too hard to move around this place when they are all on. That's why she had me pull them all down in the first place, when we first moved in.

But for now, it appears I have no simple way of keeping her from either getting upstairs, or down to the cellar, for at least the next several days.

I just sterilized all the floors down there, and spent one of the longest, worst days of my life so far in doing so. I really have ZERO wish to have to go through all that again... EVER!!!!

It just seems that ever since I have moved into this place, all my efforts to make the place livable have hit a roadblock. First I had to live with water in the cellar, with almost all of my personal stuff down there with it... now that the water problem seems resolved, I have a cat I can't seem to get rid of (at least humanely, that is...) that seems damn determined to make sure my house always stays disgusting enough that I'd never feel comfortable inviting someone over for a visit.

Hopefully I can cut those doors down before this weekend. Before the cellar (or my carpets upstairs) get too wrecked again.

edlib just cannot seem to catch a break. Ever.

:(

One of these days, everything will just go amazingly easy for me, without any effort. It will all just fall into place without any effort or struggle or strife, and I will find myself becoming truly happy with life.

Then I will instantly die from the shock. :dozey:

God... there are days I feel like I'm channeling Charlie Brown. I don't want to channel Charlie Brown. Not anymore. Not ever again.

Why couldn't I just channel... I dunno... say, Hugh Hefner, for a change?

I have a cat I can't seem to get rid of (at least humanely, that is...)

Look, I love pets as much as anyone, but if the cat is causing a problem and you don't want to keep it anymore and no one will take it, just drive it out to the country and let it go. You aren't under any obligation to turn your life upside down for a cat.

If you think the cat can't take care of itself out there, just have it put to sleep.

Look, I love pets as much as anyone, but if the cat is causing a problem and you don't want to keep it anymore and no one will take it, just drive it out to the country and let it go. You aren't under any obligation to turn your life upside down for a cat.

If you think the cat can't take care of itself out there, just have it put to sleep.

I wish it was all that uncomplicated.

I have my mom who lives in my house, and this is mostly her cat. The cat sleeps in her room, and she's the only one the cat ever shows any affection to. It outright ignores me.

She would never abandon it, or allow it to be put to sleep.

She has said I can get rid of it, but only humanely: to a family, or a non-euthanizing shelter that will re-adopt it.

I'm pretty sure she wants to keep it, though.

So I do let it outside... even force it out quite often. Then I usually ignore it when it asks to come back in,.. but she always breaks down and brings it back in the house.

It will stay outside all day or night, but then come in and immediately go on the floor.

But since it was the fact that the cat's previous owners kicked it out of their house and forced it to live outside full time that led us to "rescue" this cat in the first place, I'm guessing she's not considering making it a totally outdoor cat as an option. I have raised that question on numerous occasions, and I'm pretty sure it's off the table as a discussion point.

My mom is almost 79 years old, and still works a full time job, often with overtime, with at least an hour-long commute in each direction.

(As much as I've pushed the issue, she won't retire...)

But she's usually too tired on her time off to ever do much around the house in the way of chores. So I'm pretty much the only one who ever really cleans the house. I don't ask her to, or honestly expect her to.

So the situation is this: My mom has a cat that she really doesn't want to get rid of, that I am forced to clean up after on a daily basis.

And I'm sick of it... but I'm still trying to find a way to make it work to keep her happy.

If it were just me in the equation, the cat would probably have never got adopted in the first place (I really didn't want another pet, and I do have some resistance to a sob story...) but even if it had, it would have been out of here 6 or 8 months ago.

Yeah.

She doesn't think I could afford to support both of us if she did... and her retirement find isn't really what it should be. (Even worse in the last couple of weeks thanks to the market tanking.)

Since she handles most of the finances for the household, I tend take her word for it.

I think she's also under the mistaken belief that there's a possibility that I could suddenly meet an eligible young lady, get caught up in a whirlwind romance that quickly leads to cohabitation and or betrothal, that would eventually (her real desire...) produce multiple grandchildren for her.

In that case, she doesn't want to be an undue financial burden for me, supporting a new family as well as her, so she keeps on working.

I keep trying to explain to her that thanks to my romantic history of abject failure, and my current state of apparent non-existence in the eyes of the entire female population of the planet, that this is an unrealistic expectation at best, and truly not something she needs to worry (or even hope...) about taking place anywhere close to the near future.

had a small party at my friends house last night. smoked hookah with my friends. watched harol and kumar escape guantonamo bay. it was pretty funny.

gotta work 1-10 today in my department with the annoying lady that likes to rat everyone to management. i hope she called off.

Hmmm... I doubt that would work. She'd want to meet them.

But that's not an original plan: it's a great dream I often have.

No,.. at the moment I'm stuck. And frustrated.

If we do ever manage to get rid of this cat, like hell we'll ever get another.

This one is it.

This cat has real issues with other animals.

But the idea of having ANOTHER cat in the house does not appeal to me right now. The risk of having 2 trouble cats under one roof fills me with dread.

Who to say that this cat wouldn't corrupt the new one?

Actually, the cat does #2 pretty consistently in the litter... or more often these days, apparently outside, since I haven't been finding any either in the litter or on the floor as of late.

It's the pee that's really the big problem.

It seems to just like to go on living room's carpeted floors,.. and once those carpets were up, the bath mat if we were foolish enough to leave it down... and the cellar floor if I blocked it from going upstairs to my carpets.

As far as I can tell, it has never done #1 or 2 on any of the furniture. It seems to respect the furniture as "off-limits." It doesn't try to even sharpen claws on the ends of the couch... something that no other cat I've ever had could restrain itself from doing.

So in that regard, the cat isn't that destructive.

Peeing on all the floors is the biggie.

got a solution:

get a dog. :dozey:

they're easier to train :dozey:

besides, my dogs they're big pup's <3

was home yesterday and the night before, oh boy did they miss me.

thats one thing you wont easily get from a cat. a whiney ass big mutt goo-goo moopie for your return. ^_^

[edit]

get a mutt, they got the best personalities.

[/edit]

I really don't want anything right now. I've pretty much just had it with animals of the 4-legged variety... and I'm gettin' real close to my breaking point with most of the 2-legged ones too.

:dozey:

Got a computer tonight. A couple of years old... but newer and faster than the one I'm typing this on. It was the one my mom used at work before they upgraded a couple of months ago.

Gonna plug it in, and see what it has. Looks like a really basic business model... but if I can get my mail and web needs met on it, I might just switch over to it, at least for the time being.

Pentium 4, 2.26 GHz

Nothing smoking... but I've installed XP SP2 on it, and it seems to be running fine... with the sole exception of a missing network driver. (Kind of a pain... what did we ever do before every computer was connected to the Internet all the time??? The mind reels at the thought...)

It's a bit peppier than this one, so I might change over and rebuild this one, while I save my pennies for a new monster machine.

Archived