Home

How can you hide your past views on a webboard?

SilentScope001

Okay, I suddenly got a bad, very bad delimma.

Suppose, in 10-20 years, I run for some public office. A prestigious one, where I go and help America in [whatever]. Let say I am running as a Republican. Then, one day, during the last days of the campagin, this appears on national news:

...Honestly, that revalation destroyed any bit of credibility I had for the Colombian regime. FARC had existed for 40 years, with and without outside assistance, and I'm thinking Álvaro Uribe may also be a nutjob along with Chavez, in that he blames outside powers for his own internal problems....

And there we go. The Democratic opponent would say that I am pro-FARC in 2008, and that therefore, I am unfit to win the Mayorship, because if I win the Mayorship, I could lose the War on Terrorism. Then, while I try to refute said charges, and claim that, no, that was in the past and I was protested Uribe's various human right abuses...BAM! They dig up another unpopular post on this forum. And another. And another. And another. And I lose the general election in 2038 thanks to my views in 2000's.

I'm not going to get Swift Boated because of a mistake I make right now. But I do honestly believe what I type, now at least, in the future, I may flip-flop.

So, I need to know NOW how to avoid this sort of political murder. How can I distance myself from these comments? Should I create a brand new account a few years before I enter into any arena of 'politics' and leave this SilentScope001 persona for dead? Or are there any other methods?

(totenkopf- IP addresses and email addresses kept in record by forums can be used to trace people and prove things such as that)

I understand what you mean. For example, I am intending on creating a series of starwars books makign a whole new saga, however, my actions two years ago on another forum I will not mention leave the peopel on that forum with knowledge about certain things about the massive starwars story I would intend to make. If it got published and became very popular, (unlikely but at least I can dream) the people from that forum would likely come out of the shadows and say certain things about me from that forum and show the world certain things from that forum, thus ruining the reputation I am trying very hard to rebuild on several different forums, this mostly coming from me being very arrogant and short-sighted in debates, and other things... One dream I have is to be the successor of Lucasarts, though I doubt it will ever happen, but if I became famous in any way, which is unlikely but possible, things such as that would likely come up and ruin my reputation.

Personnally I would love to make a TV series of my starwars saga I have come up with, but I'm afraid if it ever did happen familiar things would be noticed by forumers I had met in my 'bad days' of forum-going, and they would try to ruin my reputation...

The only way to fix this is to go through and delete all posts you don't want anyone having to use against you, make posts that would raise your reputation, and also 'plant evidence' in your favor to cover up any possible 'forum conspiracies' you can't fix, and try to make forum friends who will stand up for you in an event like this.

1) I'd have to agree with totenkopf. How would anyone know that you were the same person as whatever elected personae? There is a good deal of anonymity on here and no reason that anyone would have to know anyone else's personal information to that degree unless you tell anyone how to use that information against you.

2) Couldn't hurt to switch identities or even boards if you're thinking about running for politics. You realize that you are talking about 30 years down the road? A lot of people expect a person's views to shift at least somewhat in that amount of time.

Arc: I'd think that if you tweaked the ideas a bit on some of the specific details you might just come across as someone with a similar way of seeing things if you were thinking about authorship, but worried about your past following you.

Most of mankind is shortsighted and would veiw posts on forums in politics in a bad way. Notice how so many people have voted blindly and shortsightedly for presidential candidates in the U.S this year... (No offense to the large portion of mankind that is not shortsighted)

Jvstice- Certain things in my starwars story- Names of characters, races, planets, etc, etc, are known by the people on that forum, and it would be likely that they would notice the similarities are too great for it to be a coincidence. Also, I couldn't play the 'I got the idea from another person' card, as then I'd be accused of plagerism. And no, I don't want to go to all the trouble of renaming everything in my entire starwars story just to cover it up. That would ruin it in my opinion.

Arcesious: if you can't rename things, places, and people then you are kind of stuck if those people retain an avid interest in Star Wars spin offs and EU in the long term. If you're that concerned with your reputation from that time following you though, it's the only way I see to both publish and not be haunted by your past.

tk: lol

My check is in the mail.

All I can say is that I hope that's not his own mug he has plastered all over this forum (or that he at least has the foresight to "erase" the surgeon who alters his appearance when he decides to drop the dime on someone.) ;)

(totenkopf- IP addresses and email addresses kept in record by forums can be used to trace people and prove things such as that)

This of course assumes that you're not piggybacking off someone elses account with a wireless connection, or that you're the actual person paying the IP in the first place. ;)

@Jae--well, the Clinton's tracked down Obama's kindy teacher to call him a liar.

If in 30 years people really care about what you said on a Star Wars game forum as a young person, we've got big problems.
Fine for some, but I don't believe youth would be much of an excuse for me. Well perhaps it would be, didn’t a current president use youth as excuse for alcohol usage in his late twenties or early thirties. Maybe I could stretch it a little if I wrap myself in the flag and put an R after my name. :D
All I know is I'm getting paid by one side or the other.
You can be my Brain McNamee as I do my best Roger Clemens impersonation and deny, deny, deny…
As a young person you can always change your mind.
And be labeled a flip-flopper? Isn’t that the political kiss of death? When someone calls on learned information and experience to change their view on an issue, I believe that is considered a bad thing in politics. In today American society if you don’t pick a side and then stick with it no matter the facts, you have committed political suicide. Logic has nothing to do with politics.

Personally I believe changing your opinion due to experience or knowledge is a sign of maturity and humble person. Someone I would rather vote for than an arrogant know it all. We had enough of that persona in this country lately. Of course this is coming from someone that once wrote government reports in high school on that we should use Pam on the electric chair in order then scrape the criminal off in order to execute the next one or my favorite was to send all the homosexuals to Christmas Island to prevent the spread of AIDS. I don’t believe anything I write on this forum can be any more embarrassing than either of those.

I was discussing this in Comm 309 which is computer mediated communication. True that IP and emails are maintained by the system and can be traced back to you. That is how a Moroccan engineer (Faoud) was found and convicted because his Facebook page had the username Prince Rashid.

This happened in Morocco and somehow I get the feeling that we are not far behind in policing the sites. Of course legality will point to right of privacy, which is not guaranteed by the Bill of Rights or the Constitution btw. There is the issue of anonymity as well.

However to use what you were discussing as an adolescent as a weapon against you is in extremely poor taste. In political campaigns there is expected to be some bashing but what SS001 is describing is bad form and utterly ridiculous. Call me idealistic if you want but to stoop that low is saying we have a problem.

Word!

<high fives TK>

Hmmm......have to add another name to the "rat" list. Oops, did I "say" that outloud... :xp:

Of course this is coming from someone that once wrote government reports in high school on that we should use Pam on the electric chair in order then scrape the criminal off in order to execute the next one .....

Original, butter or olive oil? :xp::p

@Jae--well, the Clinton's tracked down Obama's kindy teacher to call him a liar.

That's rather petty, but if that's the level of muckraking that occurs then I can understand the concern. Because of the technological age we live in it's easier than ever to dig up dirt on people, especially for those who use the same ID on Lucasforums, Kim Possible forums, Forbidden Hades, Youtube, Gameplayers, whatever forums you frequent so that you can build credibility.

"tor" is your friend. Use it. And as long as you use it right, and don't post obviously obvious stuff like your location/position/plox/non-gtfo/etc you should be anon.

That's rather petty, but if that's the level of muckraking that occurs then I can understand the concern. Because of the technological age we live in it's easier than ever to dig up dirt on people, especially for those who use the same ID on Lucasforums, Kim Possible forums, Forbidden Hades, Youtube, Gameplayers, whatever forums you frequent so that you can build credibility.

Would be funny if we found out random famous people lurking on these geek forums though. Think about any famous political figure being found out posting on the geeky rp sections in a pokemon forum. >.<

Archived