Home

Most Memorable Video Game Moments (Spoilers abound!)

Bee Hoon

KotOR 1 (are there other games?): Confronting Bastila on the Starforge!!! (As one who sticks with his dicission I had to kill her in my very first playthrough. That got me somehow.

KotOR 2: When Kraya tells you what will happen with your companions at the end of the game (lightside).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that was memorable in a similar sense to thumbscrews. But I thought we were putting down scenes that weren't incredibly irritating?

Starcraft: The raid on the Jacobs Installation was an epic mission, particularly since this is where you first get your real grasp of the Zerg.

Chrono Trigger: The Day of Lavos Recording.

MechWarrior Series: This is one game where no particular sequence stands out because it's just so epic. MECHS clashing in a way that doesn't involve rocket fists or giant laser swords!

System Shock: "L-L-L-Look at you, H-Hacker, a p-pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

System Shock II: SHODAN's first appearance.

Yeah, that was memorable in a similar sense to thumbscrews. But I thought we were putting down scenes that weren't incredibly irritating?
One man's meat, another man's poison:/ Personally, I found that scene quite thought provoking.

I think the reason why Corinthian has a problem with it is because regardless of whether or not the scene made you think, it's badly designed; it violates the agency of the player. :)

You have no "Walk away" or "I'm sorry but I can't give you anything" option, only the choice between nice and nasty. You have three choices:

1. Of course. Here, take five credits.

2. I have no credits, but here's some survival rations I carry with me.

3. Get out of here before I kill you.

That's it. To force a player into a situation like this takes you out of the game because it removes the element of interactivity we need to stop a video game being a film which you click on occasionally. :p

Yes it's nice to be faced with the consequences of your actions, yes it helps develop the themes of the game, and yes it's well written, but it doesn't offer the choice to ignore the beggar.

I think the reason why Corinthian has a problem with it is because regardless of whether or not the scene made you think, it's badly designed; it violates the agency of the player. :)

You have no "Walk away" or "I'm sorry but I can't give you anything" option, only the choice between nice and nasty. You have three choices:

1. Of course. Here, take five credits.

2. I have no credits, but here's some survival rations I carry with me.

3. Get out of here before I kill you.

That's it. To force a player into a situation like this takes you out of the game because it removes the element of interactivity we need to stop a video game being a film which you click on occasionally. :p

Yes it's nice to be faced with the consequences of your actions, yes it helps develop the themes of the game, and yes it's well written, but it doesn't offer the choice to ignore the beggar.

As far as I know, that is the only time in tthe wole game that unfolds like that. The other time, you can walk out of it and Kriea won't say anything, unless it was very drastic, like kiling a beggar.

That isn't one of the situations! If they want to make a point. make it in a situation where taking a third choice is obvious. Besides, I disliked Kreia so much, mainly due to the fact that she was not only Dark Side but so obvious about it that I wondered why on Earth Dark Side Exile OR Light Side Exile bothered keeping her around - she's ugly, not useful in combat with a severed hand, certainly less useful than Handmaiden and Visas, and she's preachy. It's like having your Mom follow you around on intergalactic adventures except evil.

TSL made a critical error. When I played Knights of the Old Republic, I rarely took Bastila with me when I was planning on going ape. It made the game harder, but I didn't have to listen to her scold me. I took HK-47 and Canderous instead, or maybe Jolee - he might scold me, but his amusing anecdotes more than made up for it.

TSL, on the other hand, decided you needed a constant connection to someone who could tell you what a bad boy you're being, and instead of making it a hot British-sounding chick, they made it an old woman who makes Canderous look like Saint Nick in terms of friendliness. And not only that, she's opposed to not only total, pointless evil, but also GOOD. So now you've got no better than a 66% chance in most conversations of getting scolded by Kreia, not to mention whoever else is in your party's opinion on the matter.

I can see your point Corinthian. Though I've only played TSL once, I'd prefer having the option of leaving Kreia behind. I think her weighty dialog is enough of a selling factor to those who want it.

But we're getting pretty far off topic.

As far as I know, that is the only time in tthe wole game that unfolds like that. The other time, you can walk out of it and Kriea won't say anything, unless it was very drastic, like kiling a beggar.

Yeah, that's what I thought. And really, did K1 ever give any other choice? As I recall, the only three options I ever got in K1 were LS, DS, and very DS. Only difference is that in K2, someone actually makes you question your decision.

I wondered why on Earth Dark Side Exile OR Light Side Exile bothered keeping her around - she's ugly, not useful in combat with a severed hand, certainly less useful than Handmaiden and Visas, and she's preachy.

There are a dozen reasons why the Exile needed Kreia. One, if anything happened to Kreia, the Exile would die. If your life depended on someone else, wouldn't you want to keep them close, whether or not they were preachy? Kreia clearly knew more than she was letting on, so that's another reason. Kreia was able to help the Exile regain her connection to the Force--that's a big one. I could go on, but I think you get the point. And Kreia isn't entirely useless. The Force Chain ability and extra XP come in handy.

It's like having your Mom follow you around on intergalactic adventures except evil.

:lol: Just look through the dialogue files with KT and you'll understand why that is. For instance:

{Like a stern mother lecturing on pregnancy}I hope your thoughts in this matter are clear. In saving her, you may destroy yourself.

But, to get back on topic...

Good moment in K1: the Ebon Hawk escaping Taris. Probably my favorite moment in the game.

Don't get me wrong, she did annoy me, but she also did bring up some interesting points. She is *the* most interesting Star Wars characters which I have ever encountered. And on topic, the moment that she told me of her dream to kill the Force had me absolutely boggled!:p Awesome, in a scary sort of way.

Half-Life 2:

The area before the Citadel where you fight through an entire ruin of a city block that's in the heat of a battle between Rebels and the Scanners, Metrocops, Combine Soldiers, Combine Elites, Gunships (I think), and Striders. SOOOO many Striders with disintegrating Dark Energy cannons... O_O

KOTOR:

The Revelation, of course.

Also, decimating Malak's ENTIRE Star Forge army. Pfft, "elite troopers" and "advanced battle droids" my--Oh, and the final duel between you and Malak.

TES4 OblIVion:

The final battle of the main quest, of course.

ZOMG CHARIZARD VS GORO

To indulge the topic, the sequence directly after the nuclear detonation in Call of Duty IV. I wouldn't say I LIKED the scene, but it's rather indelibly etched in my memory, much like Kreia.

She WAS an interesting character, but then again, so is Lord Littlefinger, but I still hate them both. Maybe part of that has to do with the fact that you have no choice but to play her little game despite the fact that rounding up the Jedi Masters is not exactly something that had any real purpose and in fact only served to get all three of them killed. The whole game is an Idiot Plot.

Edit tk102: Right that's enough of Kreia for this thread. Please use the Telos Tourist Bureau forum for further discusion regarding TSL. Further posts on the subject will be snipped.

Well I purchased BioShock after reading some of your reviews (partial Corinthian’s, kind of like the old Life cereal, except instead of Mikey substituted Corinthian’s name).

Have to go with the ending as being a memorable moment for me. FPS is not my usual type of games, but BioShock would make my top ten game of all-time. I refused to sacrifice the innocent and the ending was very satisfying, but also disturbing. I had the feeling of doom until the innocents saved me.

Oh, I forgot the end of FFX! I'm ashamed to admit that I actually cried (I'm such a sucker for love stories), but it really got under my skin. Then again, I might have been shedding tears for the hours I spent trying unsuccessfully to unlock Tidus' ultimate weapon:/

I'll never forget Selphie's intro in FFVIII. She's such a klutz, but oh so adorable.

Hah, that damn chocobo race got you too, huh Bee? I got through that stupid thing through sheer determination and lots of swearing. Have you tried dodging 200 lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains for Lulu's Sigil? If that isn't an exercise in stretching your tolerance to the limit, then I don't know what is. :xp:

Come to think of it, finally dodging that last bolt was pretty memorable for me, as I actually started cheering for about five minutes before remembering to hit a save point as quickly as I could. xD

The following are what I consider memorable moments of video games I own/have played.

KotOR- The revelation scene, killing the "original meatbag" on the Star Forge, DS/LS celebration and Admiral Karath's death.

KotOR II: The Sith Lords - The trial on Coruscant, Darth Sion's death, Trayus Core module, the hologram from T3 and/or the holocron on Korriban.

Archived