Home

what dissapoints me

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think no matter how often two stormtroopers get lifted off the ground they are always going to try to save themselves.

They gave him the unique lightsaber grip just to make his style different and probably just to show that he's not your typical Jedi.

The style isn't unique. It's called

The variant form known as Shien is a rarely seen style that, while effective, is almost a topic of controversy among lightsaber masters due to the drastically different grip taught by practitioners of the form. The style calls for the Jedi to hold the lightsaber horizontally with the tip of the blade out away from the body, and all strikes are made by sweeping the arm forward as though throwing a punch while whipping the blade forward quickly in a broad arc. Adi Gallia was one of the few Jedi around the time of the Clone Wars known to actively practice the form, as was the Anzati Jedi called Nikkos Tyris. It may also have been used by Vader's apprentice during The Great Jedi Purge.

Not to be confused with the standard Form V variant of Shien.

It was introduced with Kotor 2...but Kotor 2 didn't use different animations for the fighting styles. Or else it would have been a like in TFU as well.

And by the way, the newly released video's also show Vader for a second having his saber in this style before switching. This possibly means there are multiple styles. :)

adamqd wrote:

Lets hope so, That would be cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Q2Sa9Qio8&eurl=http://www.forceunleashed.net/

1:02 - 1:04 : Apprentice holding the saber in a normal way, slashing a monster (just pres pause)

1:24 - 1:29 again, fighting a AT-ST

1:39 - 1:42 Two Jedi fighting, different stances

2:10 - 2:22 Several Jedi are 'selected' in the menu and show their different opening stances. Last seconds shows Luke vs Apprentice, obviously two different saber styles

4:48 - 4:50 Vader using APPRENTICE (backward saber) stance

Seems enough proof for me :)

ya, they kind of made it so when the apprentice was running, walking, or using the force, he held it in the "unique" way. But if you watch him fighting he holds it normally, and as soon as he stops swinging his light saber it "FLASHES" back to the "unique" position.

ya, they kind of made it so when the apprentice was running, walking, or using the force, he held it in the "unique" way. But if you watch him fighting he holds it normally, and as soon as he stops swinging his light saber it "FLASHES" back to the "unique" position.

If that's still the case, it's still pretty stupid. There is no real advantage of having it like that

except to look good. I have to admit, it is one heck of a cool stance...

on some article that i read, it said that he held it like that because he would punch, and the light saber would happen to hit people on the side, it was a pretty weird article...

but ya, in the videos i have watched it does that "FLASH" way...kinda stupid if you ask me...

the saber style better be customizable or I will be mad

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up and upset about things like this - The story is, and should be the most important thing in the game - not the way someone holds a saber.

And how is it complicated? You simply hold it 'upside down'. You see people do this in action films with knives and such.

And what is 'good' is different depending on people. I quite like it - it looks 'feral'.

^

Of course the story is the most important, but the whole game is suppose to launch you into the Star Wars Universe. It's suppose to make it feel like those things are actually plausible. With all these canonical mistakes Star Wars Fans won't feel like they are doing anything realistic based on Star Wars.

I personally won't whine over the saber style but it does make the man look like an idiot of a Jedi.

Also, Action films? Come on, don't get into that. You can't deflect bullets with a knife buddy, nor do you sword fight other people with knives. That's why it's called "Sword fighting". Kinda goes with Light Saber because it's "A saber" very similar to a "Sword".

Its the same style that the Dark Jedi that killed Corran Horns father used, if I am not mistaken.

Though that Jedi held the hilt down and in front. But I would imagine this would give him an easier way of using the force. Move his arm quicker without fear of cutting it off. Also, this would allow for some cool and quick motions for attack and defense. It's more feasible that you may think.

Though that Jedi held the hilt down and in front. But I would imagine this would give him an easier way of using the force. Move his arm quicker without fear of cutting it off. Also, this would allow for some cool and quick motions for attack and defense. It's more feasible that you may think.

Jedi also know where their blades are, to avoid hurting themselves. If this were even the case the same claim could be made for cutting his legs off.

Both and attack wouldn't work. Try holding a sword that way and you'll see what I mean. It limits your hand to a slashing motion. No stabbing, no blocking, and it puts your hand at a weak point.

Also, Action films? Come on, don't get into that. You can't deflect bullets with a knife buddy, nor do you sword fight other people with knives. That's why it's called "Sword fighting". Kinda goes with Light Saber because it's "A saber" very similar to a "Sword".

I know very well that 'saber' is a type of sword. I was using the knife thing to demonstrate a different grip, that was all.

I think that this might be more an issue of familiarity than anything else. Every Jedi we see in the films, and basically everyone in the EU uses it in the 'traditional' sense - who's to say he can't use it that way?

I think that this might be more an issue of familiarity than anything else. Every Jedi we see in the films, and basically everyone in the EU uses it in the 'traditional' sense - who's to say he can't use it that way?

Of course you can, but it just leaves the person at a very low advantage.

It would be the same issue if a fencer tried to hold their sword backwards and fence.

He might as well fight with a mini-knife-like Lightsaber, it would be the same thing.

the thing is, like i said earlier:

so what now?

• 2 weeks later...

Now let's think here for a minute. He's been trained to hold his saber like that (or it was just his personal preference and has still been trained to do it like that) for several years. That means he should have enough experience holding it like that to be able to use it effectively.

Saying that holding it like this is not logical brings us back to Darth Maul and Maris Brood. With a double-bladed lightsaber like that, Maul could have cut himself in half with just a flick of his wrist. And Brood's lightsabers have an obvious disadvantage on the handles, or she could swing them around and, just like that, she has no more arms. And let us not forget that the handles of all lightsabers are vulnerable in any fight. Is any of that logical? No.

What you've got to realize is that these people have been trained like this for years. They know how to do this because it's their own style, and they've been practicing it for years. Maul knew how to control his lightsaber because he practiced for years; this is undoubtedly the same with the Apprentice and Brood. So saying the form looks fruity just because he's holding it behind his back is not a really legitimate reason for hating it.

And the reason he "flashes" it back to behind his back is because, once again, he's been trained like that, and he probably feels comfortable keeping it there, since he's only known this style his whole life and nothing else. Besides, you all are missing the one big advantage of his saber position; suppose he's holding a stormie in mid-air, and one sneaks up behind him. Using his obvious mastery of the Force, he deflects the shots behind his back back to the stormie, killing the stormie and allowing him to kill the other one he's got in his grip.

Besides, there have been more erratic forms of lightsaber combat than this one (Yoda anyone?). Mace Windu style is also an example of the many erratic forms of saber combat there are in the Star Wars universe; Vaapad was Windu's creation, and he could use it to deflect the Force with his saber. That's sounds more exotic than this instance of holding a lightsaber the way the SA does.

In short, I think it fits his personality to hold the lightsaber like that. Besides, it gives him not only an awesome air, but a more hardcore air as well. And it's probably also the only time we've actually seen (not read, seen) someone do it like this, so it's awesome for me.

Besides, there have been more erratic forms of lightsaber combat than this one (Yoda anyone?)

Yoda's style was the way it was because there's no other way he'd be able to use a saber at all.

Vaapad was Windu's creation, and he could use it to deflect the Force with his saber.

Deflecting energy attacks (in that case lightning) is just something a lightsaber does, not an ability granted by use of a lightsaber form.

In short, I think it fits his personality to hold the lightsaber like that. Besides, it gives him not only an awesome air, but a more hardcore air as well. And it's probably also the only time we've actually seen (not read, seen) someone do it like this, so it's awesome for me.

I suppose so, but Maris Brood's lightsabers are still as stupid as hell.

Agreed! You'd lose your elbows on the first parry

Its a form that would nullify the advantages of BOTH the tonfa and the lightsaber AT THE SAME TIME.

Go try something like that at a sparring session and you can see how many times you would be pwn3d trying to use a weapon like that. That is why she deserves to be killid by SA I guess.

Archived