Home

What the heck is wrong here???

Arcesious

Okay, I was starting a new game in TSL, and for some wierd reason it was going extremely slowly. My computer turned out to be fine after checking for a computer problem. Then I checked the override folder...

Many files in there had suddenly became ncs files, and the properties sad they were openable under notepad. I don't know what happened. They all have the notepad icon on them. Most of them were ncs files for spells and whatever else everything else was for. Good thing I keep a list of my mods, here it is:

List of Mods for TSL, in order installed. I don't know if this will help or not, but it should give soem idea as to what files were effected.

1.0b Patch

Team Gizka Bug Fixes Pack

Coruscant Jedi Temple Mod

M478 1.1

M478 1.1a patch

HK Factory Reconstructed + patches 1.1 & 1.2

High Level Forces powers 2.0 2.1 Patch

Handy Force Powers 2.0

New Workbench Upgrades 1.5

90SK Robes Pack Final

Nar Shaadah Lost Cantina

Mandalore With Wearable Armor

Ebon Hawk History

Black Ebon Hawk Reskin

Ebon Hawk LS Reskin (Inside only)

Handmaiden Style Undies for Female PCs

PVC Dancer’s Outfits

Nar Shaadah Realistic Skybox

Color Crystal Attributes

Darth Moeller’s Exile Item Pack

Assorted Masks and Items

Death Bringer Sword Set

Sith Assassins With Lightsabers

TSL Difficulty Options

Revan Model Without Cape

Force Choke Anyone

Atton and Mira PC Jackets

Calo Nord Reskin (Augmented by myself to be darker and have a purple/green coloration)

Molo’s K1 Gun Models

Wester-34

Light Lightning Cannon

Law Enforcement Blasters

Scatter Pistol

I don't know what to do. Can someone explain what's wrong? It wasn't like this the last time I played it. I haven't played it for two weeks, but I don't know how not playing it and changing it at all adversely effects it... The first two changed files, at first glance, are st_forcegrip and st_forcehold, along with a whole bunch of other ones starting with st_, a_, k_, and other things which I don't have any idea as to what they are for.

Please help!

<snip>

Please help!

You have quite a few mods that will conflict there, for example IIRC you have several mods which modify on enter scripts for the Ebon Hawk and they could clash.

Haven't you also got a few KotOR only mods in there? I'm not sure what that would do if scripts or .2da's are modified, e.g.

Calo Nord Reskin and Molo’s K1 Gun Models; also what are your system spec's should it be quick? Could you also be a little more specific with the problem symptoms... i.e. do they only happen on Dantooine? If so it could just be a lag problem with the graphics card... http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144109

The two mods you mentioned cause no conflicts... I've never had any mod conflicts with this setup, actually. Because, TSL does have the Calo Nord model, animations, tectures, and such, and the reskin works perfectly. And Molo's K1 Gun models, if you check the Kotorfiles part where readme is listed, it says it is also for TSL...

It happens everywhere I go. The controls don't respond, and it lags so bad it's like one frame of movement every five seconds... I tried another game I have, EAW: FOC, and my graphics card works fine for it... I have a Nvidia Geforce 6200 Card, 2.50 Ghz, 768 RAM, windows service pack 2, all the updates, and I've been able to run the game a relatively high settings since I first got the game, with no problems whatsoever. Here's the game settings (I can't seem to find the part .ini that lists the hardware. Where is that?):

swkotors2.ini:

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=14

Number 2D Voices=64

2D3D Bias=1.50

EAX=2

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

Grass=1

Shadows=1

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=8

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=0

Brightness=66

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=2047

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=15

BodyVariation=14

AppearanceType=177

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=0

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=4

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

EnableCheats=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=8

Action283A=7

Action282B=10

Action282A=9

Action281B=8

Action281A=7

Action280B=10

Action280A=9

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=0

Party Killed=0

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=0

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=0

Movie 9=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 7=11

Movie 6=191

Movie 5=254

Movie 4=248

Movie 3=255

Movie 2=255

Movie 1=254

Movie 0=253

swplayer.ini:

[Game Options]

Single Player ItemLevelRestrictions=1

Single Player Enforce Legal Characters=1

Difficulty Level=2

Hide SecondStoryTiles=0

TooltipDelay uSec=1.000000

Memory Level=1

NewCharStartLevel=001EBO

[Game Options]

Memory Access=1

[Control Options]

CameraTurnSpeed=1.000000

Enable ScreenEdgeCameraTurn=1

Zoom Speed=3.000000

[Control Options]

CameraTurnSpeed=1.000000

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay uSec=1.000000

[Game Options]

Hide SecondStoryTiles=0

[Profile]

JournalPage=0

ShowMessageOfTheDay=1

[server Options]

Game Type=0

Server Name=Server

Max Players=16

[server Options]

Server Name=Server

[server Options]

Game Type=0

One thing I did notice, though... I found three folders I don't think I've ever seen before: currentgame, gameinprogress, and temp.

I think i usually see those three files you mentioned after the game crashes.

They dissapear for me when i load a game and save before quitting.

The rest of the problem i can't help you with, i think i had a similar problem on my old computer a few years ago though.

The game didn't crash until I crashed it on purpose. it was running so slow that I couldn't do anything in the game, so I ctrl + alt + deleted it, ending the process, and 'crashing' it.

I just moved those three folders onto my desktop, keeping them just it case if they are important. Still, having problems. The game is nice and fast at the starting screen after it loads up to where you can click 'new game' and the other options though.

Edit: I think I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it... All the ncs files are openable by notpad. I've tried changing that to numerous things, including kotor tool and TSL's 'launcher.exe.' But then, I looked at the other file in the override. the ones that weren't texture files of kotor tool files said: 'Opens with: unknown application'

I think what I have to do is change those ncs files to open with 'unknown application' so that none of the programs on my computer open them, only TSL's programming does. Problems is, there is no option avialable to change the file to not havign anything it opens with n particular. The option 'always open with this program with using this kind of file' is shaded out, and I can't uncheck it. and when I try to change it to nothing, it won't work, because ther eis no available option for that.

Edit 2:

I looked on the internet and found out how to change it back, but... It's still lagging. I changed the file to open with nothing, going to my computer, tools, folder opens, and then file types, and then clicked on the .ncs filetype. I then went to advanced options and clicked remove for 'open' command. Now, it doesn't open with anything in particular. But it's still lagging when i play the game. Either I didn't fix it correctly, or it's soemthing else too... I'm afraid, at this rate, i'll have to uninstall TSL, reinstall it, and redo the updates, mods and everything... All over again... I don't think I want to go to all that trouble. i might just uninstall it at this rate and just play EAW: FOC for awhile until I feel like reinstalling it again... I don't want to give up, but I don't know what to do...

Edit: I think I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it... All the ncs files are openable by notpad. I've tried changing that to numerous things, including kotor tool and TSL's 'launcher.exe.' But then, I looked at the other file in the override. the ones that weren't texture files of kotor tool files said: 'Opens with: unknown application'

I think what I have to do is change those ncs files to open with 'unknown application' so that none of the programs on my computer open them, only TSL's programming does. Problems is, there is no option avialable to change the file to not havign anything it opens with n particular. The option 'always open with this program with using this kind of file' is shaded out, and I can't uncheck it. and when I try to change it to nothing, it won't work, because ther eis no available option for that.

That should have no effect whatsoever. That's only if you double-click it;; if a program goes and tries to run the file it won't stop it or anything. I have a bunch of filetypes that aren't right.

You say a bunch of files became *.ncs files. What were they before?

Question: Did you change any settings or update any drivers? Did you add any mods?

It sounds to me like it's a graphics problem.

We also need to know if you are using K1 mods in K2.

Aren't they svosh's Westars? I know you get them with Mission Vao in K1. I wasn't aware that there was a K2 counterpart.

_EW_

I noticed that some of those mods are for K1, and some are for K2.... o_0 Which game is this for?

That said, here's my advice:

Step 1: Back up you're override.

Step 2: Delete you're override.

Step 3: Put the video quality on low-rez.

Step 4: Download the mods you want again

Step 5: Try 'em in-game.

I can, without a doubt, confirm that all of the mods I have work perfectly with TSL. (TSL as in Kotor 2 is the game I have, ulmont. :p ) I have already tried changing the settigns to the lowest quality and back, and it stil isn't wokring. As I said before, my computer is working fine with my EAW: FOC game, which has very similar graphics requirements.

I don't know what kind of files they were before...

But, I have an idea to figure that out. Do any of you have the high level force powers 2.0 mod? If so, what kind of filetype are the files from that mod starting with st_ ? If I knew that, perhaps I could change it all back so it would work, because then I'd know what kind of file the .ncs files are supposed to be.

As I said before, I have not modded or changed the game at all since the last time I played it without problems two weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of is my Avast! antivirus program downloading updates for itself. Besides that, no updates or drivers of any kind. But I don't know what my antivirus would have to do with TSL.

Are you sure that's what I need to use? Couldn't I just rename the file with a .nss? And The question I have wasn't answered- what kind of files were those .ncs files originally? Or did you answer that saying they're originally .nss files? I need specifics...

Also, I can alreadyopen the .ncs files with notepad, and I don't have any intentions of editing them by modding. I jsut want to change them back to the original filetype they were supposed to be before they suddenly changed to .ncs files for some confusing reason...

Are you sure that's what I need to use? Couldn't I just rename the file with a .nss?

No and no. No need to do either.

And The question I have wasn't answered- what kind of files were those .ncs files originally? Or did you answer that saying they're originally .nss files? I need specifics...

That's the point! They are ncs files! Always were, still are, always will be. That's how they came when you downloaded them.

I jsut want to change them back to the original filetype they were supposed to be before they suddenly changed to .ncs files for some confusing reason...

I'm telling you, this is not your problem.

_EW_

According to the link posted below...

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/High_Level_Force_Powers;43066

... All the files that begin with "st_" are indeed and have always been .ncs files. However, in their current form, they cannot (or at least, shouldn't :p) be edited. Instead, they need to be decompiled to .nss files, which appear as plain text. Once they are .nss files, they can be edited and re-compiled into .ncs files and put back in the override.

I hope that helps, I'll explain anything that doesn't make sense :S

EDIT - Ender beat me to it. :)

According to the link posted below...

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/High_Level_Force_Powers;43066

... All the files that begin with "st_" are indeed and have always been .ncs files. However, in their current form, they cannot (or at least, shouldn't :p) be edited. Instead, they need to be decompiled to .nss files, which appear as plain text. Once they are .nss files, they can be edited and re-compiled into .ncs files and put back in the override.

I hope that helps, I'll explain anything that doesn't make sense :S

For the final time: (everyone listen up)

There is no need to decompile these scripts! He's trying to fix his technical graphics problem. He doesn't need to edit anything!

Thank you.

_EW_

The only thing I can think of is my Avast! antivirus program downloading updates for itself. Besides that, no updates or drivers of any kind. But I don't know what my antivirus would have to do with TSL.[/Quote]

That, precisely, sounds like your problem to me.

With only 768MB of RAM and a 2.5Ghz proc. it sounds like your Antiviral program is taking up way, way, way more resources than your computer can spare. I would check that it isn't running a virus scan since that eats up your RAM/CPU like a starving man would a meal.

Basically, it sounds like your Anti-Virus is doing your game in.

My only suggestion I can give in order to test this theory is to disconnect your computer from the internet and then uninstall your anti-virus (Making sure you have a way to get at it later) if your game is still lagged, make sure your drivers are all up to date.

That's all I can offer.

(Oh, and pay attention to EW, it shouldn't be the scripts in your Override.)

With only 768MB of RAM and a 2.5Ghz proc. it sounds like your Antiviral program is taking up way, way, way more resources than your computer can spare. I would check that it isn't running a virus scan since that eats up your RAM/CPU like a starving man would a meal.

Perhaps the way to find out, is to disconnect from the internet and turn the anti-virus off and see if it improves things. That said I'm not convinced it is the problem. One of my anti-spyware programs (Spybot Search and Destroy) is associated with various modded KotOR file types and it doesn't cause any problems.

(Oh, and pay attention to EW, it shouldn't be the scripts in your Override.)

Agreed.

I dunno......... I only have 2.2ghz and 512MB RAM in my desktop, and coincidentally, Avast as well.

Works fine for me.

_EW_

Avast! does run several monitoring processes in the background... as I recall, when installed it can be a RAM hog of ungainly proportions.

Avast! does run several monitoring processes in the background... as I recall, when installed it can be a RAM hog of ungainly proportions.

It sometimes gets bad, and does run a couple of processes, but it's never caused this type of problem for me before. I have had something similar on my laptop, but there it was a video card issue.

_EW_

It sometimes gets bad, and does run a couple of processes, but it's never caused this type of problem for me before. I have had something similar on my laptop, but there it was a video card issue.

_EW_

It depends what setting you put it on, I think. It is + a year since I had it installed, so...

Avast isn't causing any problems for me. Besides the 768 RAM, i have 256 Video Card RAM from my Nvidia Geforce 6200 card. I never run any other programs while playign a game, and I regularly clean up old files and such on my computer with disk cleanups, defrags, and virus scans. Also, I don't have an 'email' program on my computer, I go to a website for email, so my Avast is only functioning by monitering 5 out of 7 of the services it is designed to scan. Also, uninstalling all of those mods isn't as easy as it sounds... I have mods on top of mods installed with TSLpatcher, so even the backup folder it always updates has multiple mods in it on top of the stock version of TSL. I think I'm probably going to uninstall it and reinstall the mods all over again sometime...

Edit:

Okay, something wierd is going on...

For some wierd reason, whenever I run the game, the taskmanager from cntr +alt + del says I have 90-100% CPU usage... And I have 1024 total Ram. And all (the total of) of the running programs are only taking up a fraction (Like 1/5) of the total available RAM. That's crazy. TSL is only taking up about 1/8 of that alone. Avast isn't taking up much either... No other programs seem to be taking a lot of memory...

Avast isn't causing any problems for me. Besides the 768 RAM, i have 256 Video Card RAM from my Nvidia Geforce 6200 card. I never run any other programs while playign a game, and I regularly clean up old files and such on my computer with disk cleanups, defrags, and virus scans. Also, I don't have an 'email' program on my computer, I go to a website for email, so my Avast is only functioning by monitering 5 out of 7 of the services it is designed to scan. Also, uninstalling all of those mods isn't as easy as it sounds... I have mods on top of mods installed with TSLpatcher, so even the backup folder it always updates has multiple mods in it on top of the stock version of TSL. I think I'm probably going to uninstall it and reinstall the mods all over again sometime...

Edit:

Okay, something wierd is going on...

For some wierd reason, whenever I run the game, the taskmanager from cntr +alt + del says I have 90-100% CPU usage... And I have 1024 total Ram. And all (the total of) of the running programs are only taking up a fraction (Like 1/5) of the total available RAM. That's crazy. TSL is only taking up about 1/8 of that alone. Avast isn't taking up much either... No other programs seem to be taking a lot of memory...

Still, you might be better off with trying Avast off. Perhaps you have a virus. Maybe from Limewire (I think you said you had it before).

It could also be a keylogger.

Archived