Home

What was the (adventure) game you played last?

Sven_Q45

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished the Videlectrix online graphic adventures, Peasant's Quest and Dangeresque Roomisode 1. :)

Peasant's Quest was a nice pretty long adventure that was very much like the old Sierra games from the 80s. It even contains some pretty weird puzzles with weird logic like those old games, but in this game the weird logic puzzles were optional.

Dangeresque Roomisode 1 was a really short adventure that captures the feel of early 90s adventure games. It really managed to capture the feel of LucasArts and Sierra adventure games at the same time. I'd love to see a full game done in this style, but with a point and click interface. :)

I played that Dangeresque game as well -- I really loved the style of it -- and I like adventure games that feature in close areas. I should play BS2 next -- I think I will next term. This term I played BS1 which I really liked too. And I also want to play AVS but I don't know when I'll get it... maybe for my birthday.

I just finished 8-Bit is Enough! Yay! :D

I loved the ending. I thought the genre blending ending in Strong Badia the Free was great, but this one blew it out of the water. :)

I'm glad I finished Peasant's Quest before I played this game too, since it let me understand a lot of the jokes I would have missed otherwise. :shades2:

I was so into the game, I'm reading all of my posts in my head with the voice of Homestar Runner. Seriously! :D

So, yeah, I completed the last Strong Bad-episode. I'm still not sure what I think of the series as a whole. I enjoyed it, but when I think back to the Sam & Max-episodes... Every S&M-episode was just perfect for me, it brought me right back to my youth, right into that old familiar Lucasarts-world. Not just because Sam & Max where part of the Lucasfamily, way back then, but just the fact that you can taste the joy the creators had when they where creating the games. Every episode was a labour of love. In I just miss that with the Strong Bad-episodes. I mean, I'm sure the guys at Telltale want to make the best game possible (and they still handle the IP's they get way better than a lot of other developers), but it all just feels a bit more...joyless. It's just a combination of factors, I guess. I actually think the visual style is great, but you get a lot of big, empty environments this way. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think you should compensate the loss of richness in environments with richness in characters and story. But yeah, of all the characters, only Strong Bad, Strong Sad, Homestar and Marsipan are capable of having conversations. The rest of the characters just shout, or squeek, or whatever. And all this, again, wouldn't turn a good adventure game into a bad one. The difference is, this is an episodic adventure.

That other recent adventure game, AVS, also had few characters I cared about. But I didn't care, it was just this one adventure, after the game ended, most of these characters will be gone, and in the sequel I will have an entire new set of environments and characters. When you put all the Strong Bad-episodes together you may have the same number of playing hours, but you are forced to play it an episode a month (if you don't buy the season after it has ended, of course). AVS lasted me about a week, and that was fine. Strong Bad, while sort of equal in length, is a game that you play over a period of 5 months. That's long. Sam & Max managed to keep my attention over that entire period, but Strong Bad just isn't 'rich' enough to be interesting over such a long period of time. It doesn't have the same depth, story-wise, character-wise. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, and it was far better then most of the adventure games out there these days, but as I said, it was...lacking. If this was a single, bigger game, it might have worked better. (Note: I love the episodic format. Perfect for me and my schedule. I just don't love it with this series). That, and I think producing the game for both Wiiware and PC at the same time might have hurt the overal quality of the games. I don't really need a mountain of achievements and unlockables in my point & clicks. I think the technical limitations of Wiiware are even more of a problem; I hope they aren't going to do the same with Sam & Max season 3. Still, it made them a lot of money, which is awesome.

Oh man, I didn't want to turn this into one long review. Especially such a negative one, for such an awesome company. I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, English isn't my native language.

To make it up to you guys, some news (not much) old man Jake spilled about Wallace & Gromit, which I'm really looking forward too.

W&G stuff coming eventually. We announced it maybe a little early... or rather, we thought we'd have more to say in closer proximity to the initial announcement. There's not a lot anyone's allowed to say right now, but yeah, it will be for PC and console, and it will be an adventure-style game. I don't think Telltale will ever make a game that doesn't put the focus on story and character, and (in the case of licensed games, which is all we make at the moment) on trying to tell stories and present gameplay that reflect well on the license. That's not to say that Telltale will forever make games which are sort of 3D takes on what are effectively SCUMM games, but games which focus on narrative, character, exploring a world in the framework of a story will probably be the focus for the studio as long as it exists in its present form.

found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2922799&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

So, PC and console. If it's Wiiware again...

I think this might have already been said, but really, Alfred J, you win the award for baddest forum avatar (where "baddest" means "best" as in street lingo).

There's a new W&G TV film coming this Christmas and it's cool seeing the adverts and the BBC idents (

) and thinking that Telltale is somehow related to all of this!

Wow, this avatar took me about 1 minute to make. Still, glad you guys like it!

The new Wallace & Gromit movie is looking great. 'The Wrong Trousers' may be the funniest claymation video I have ever seen. I'm sort of hoping that we get some new information about the games soon. I'm not sure what Jake means with the quote I gave earlier. Does he mean that they announced the game too early, because it has been around 6 months without any new information, or does he mean that it will be quite a while before we hear anything new?

Hmm, this is turning into a W&G-topic. I'll just stop talking.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a quick run through of Samorost 1+2. For those who don't know, Samorost is this cute/warped series from Amanita design. Games like that, Man...

Those are the kinds of adventure games I dig, the indie sleepers resplendified in minimalism and quirkiness. Samorost has this really sort of drugged up, earthy feel, where the whole environment is organic, even the machinery.

Their new game Machinarium will probably win game of the year from me as soon as it's released. It's like a mix between I Robot and The Godfather, but the flipside, all the organic things are mechanical, the environment is completely contraptionistic.

Other Game I'd really like to play sometime very soon: The Neverhood. Huge Fan Of Earthworm Jim, from what I've seen, the game is a blend of that and Grim Fandango, but with more clay. My computer is too slow to run it, though. Wah.

I just finished the Chzo Mythos. It was very well made for an indie game. There were some clever puzzles and the story was well constructed and engaging. I'd recommend it, but if you hate horror adventures you probably won't like it. I'm not such a big fan of horror myself but those games just were so engaging. They also deserve a medal for seriously creeping me out a couple of times. Anyone played them? What did you think?

Other Game I'd really like to play sometime very soon: The Neverhood. Huge Fan Of Earthworm Jim, from what I've seen, the game is a blend of that and Grim Fandango, but with more clay. My computer is too slow to run it, though. Wah.

Whoa! Thanks for pointing that out! Looks amazing.

Wasn't it released in 1996 though? You really wouldn't need that high-end of a computer to play it.

Yeah, well the first two games of the series weren't THAT good but I thought the story was wrapped up well in the last two chapters. I just kept playing on my friend's recommendation and the whole thing as a whole was pretty good. It's mostly about the mood and story but there are some clever puzzles.

On the subject of amateur adventure games... Scurvyliver's That Night Before (http://scurvy.adventuredevelopers.com/tnb.html) is still my favourite of all time. It's full of LucasArts references and injokes and it's more fun than sex on a bicycle.

As to the last adventure game I played: Sam & Max S.2 Ep.4 -- unless Baldur's Gate II counts!

Actually, scrub that, I played that 2D one room Strongbad flash adventure game, which was really awesome.

Thanks for recommending the liver thing, Gabe. I'll try it.

My favorite amateur adventure game so far is Nelly Cootalot. Very Monkey Island like, but stands on its own. And can be really funny. Rather great puzzles too.

Mental Repairs Inc. that I mentioned before is another worthy title and technically it's as good as many current commercial adventure games. Oh, and it's heavily LucasArts inspired as well. Most amateur adventure games are. :) I wrote a short review for it if someone would like to know more.

Wasn't it released in 1996 though? You really wouldn't need that high-end of a computer to play it.

The Claymation effects are very demanding, surprisingly. Not to say I haven't tried to run it, but my computer is low end. Goddamn if I don't love Doug TenNapel though...

Grabbed Beneath A Steel Sky from Good Old Games. It's... Unique. More in the Sierra style, and the story is depressing. Ominous, to say the least. I find it odd that they juxtapose a dark, hostile environment with "humour".

Also just dug up an ancient copy of Pajama Sam 1, and zoomed through, more for the sake of Nostalgia than anything. It's still remarkably funny, for a kid's game.

Speaking of Kid's games, recently experienced Questionaut. The best "Edutainment" game I've ever played, and great design. Basically anything from Amanita is gold in my book. Like The Quest For The Rest...

Other AG's on the list, Professor Layton (Baffle Me This!), and Penny-Arcade Adventures, although I'm not sure if that's strictly an adventure game. Dig the comic, and the trailers I've seen positively radiate atmosphere.

Just finished Nelly Cootalot. It was fun. The puzzles were good, the writing was good and it looked amazing. When the graphical style of the game is that clearly defined, the graphics can be made into pure perfection. It's impossible with games that are striving to be photorealistic.

Grabbed Beneath A Steel Sky from Good Old Games. It's... Unique. More in the Sierra style, and the story is depressing. Ominous, to say the least. I find it odd that they juxtapose a dark, hostile environment with "humour".

Beneath A Steel Sky became a kind of an instant classic for me when I first finished it a few years ago. It's not perfect but it has a fantastically strange mood to it. Yeah, ominous is a good word to describe it. Still, it doesn't take itself too seriously and that's just the way I like it. I think the humour balances the darkness and vice versa, to the point of emphasizing both the dark and the humorous side. Like how a candle gives out more light in total darkness. Did that make any sense?

Also, it didn't particularly remind me of Sierra games, but my experience with Sierra is mostly limited to their earlier games. Never been a huge fan of those games.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Dráscula. The English voices were really bad, and the translation was really rough, but the humor did still come through in some spots. I'm sure it was a lot funnier and more enjoyable in the original Spanish version, but with the English voices turned off I did enjoy it. :)

I enjoyed the Monkey Island references (although the petrified bird was definitely not sleeping like the piranha poodles were. It's eyes were open, and it was creepy). :eek:

Archived