Home

ATTENTION METALHEADS!!!

RC-1183

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so people know, Nu-Metal isn't metal, don't mention it.

Anyways, for me, the best form of metal is thrash. Early Metallica and Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Evile and Exodus, all that kind of stuff.

Although I listen to a VERY large amount of music, and I have a very big palette :p

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting Motorizer, the new Motorhead album, and I just wanted to hear opinions from people that aren't critics. :)

I much prefer less 'traditional' forms of metal myself, namely symphonic - stuff like Epica and After Forever (Mark Jansen kicks ass), some of Lunatica's new stuff, Virtuocity, and more recently Amberian Dawn. I don't much like the stuff Metallica is pumping out these days, but their old stuff isn't bad.

I'm Basically listening to my vast Neo-Classical back Catalog atm, with a bit of hair Metal thrown in for good measure, Germany and Sweden are bringing the stuff I like nowadays but to be honest it all come's back to mid-late 80's melodic rock. I can never pass up a Megadeth album though :D

I like a variety of metal. Anyboyd heard of Vile Preaching?

I can't even mention it all here. Occasionally I take a break to listen to toher varieties of music.

Cradle of Filth kicked ass--till its lead singer sold out.

Kiss, well, interesting... Black sabbath, iron butterfly.

I wonder just what could have been if Randy Rhoads hadn't been killed combining metal/rock with classical...dragonforce is close in terms of skill, but randy would have been something else. I liked ozzy for awhile, still do, but not as a favorite anymore. I love the older stuff.

Quiet Riot: I actually met Kevin DuBrow of quiet riot in 2006 and have an anutographed pic of him, Frankie Banali, and the 2 others playing in QR that year over their respective individual pics. Bummer Kev had to OD on one little tryst of cocaine at 52. I gues trying to relive some of the older days. Death at NOV 19, 2007.

It was awesome for them to come to my hometown twice in one year--I though I would never see it 'cuz I discovered it in highschool, about 15 years too late.

Otherwise, I'm not too crazy about hairbands in general. Twisted sister I can tolerate.

Iron maiden will rule 4 ever--I shouldn't have to say more than that-and I appreciate how other bands pay homage to maiden.

Zombie, white, more than rob gone solo, but rob is better than nothing.

Alan Zombie, his son I think, with transylvania 90210.

Apocyliptica, the metalocalypse band? Win!

Anthrax...awesome. Megadeth, great.

Sepultura, the one track I have heard was kick ass.

DEICIDE! --a band that is so controversial with its killer of gods attitude and themes

that it is banned and censored like mad.

AC DC is always good.

I have *so* many more I"d like to say here. I can't 'cuz I'm getting tired. So I'll finish with this:

Eh...ok manson is fair enough ...I guess... Some stuff sounds good, however, when I found out what he said about his own fans, then he could do the same and die.

Metallica...I'm not really much of a fan, but I'll give them their dues... I guess. A few nice sounding tracks through the years. Still not a fan, though.

Psychopathic records' bands comes out with some nice sounding metal riffs, sometimes.

I like them 'cuz they are so off the wall...I mean nobody else I know of comes up with this S***. Singing about all the disgusting stuff they'd do if they were serial killers, or driving an ice crean truck in ethiopia. WTF?

Anybody have a mac or emulating mac os 7.5 or better on PC?

This game is FULL of references to heavy metal bands and iron maiden fans will instantly recognize the style and artist of the cover art:

http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey/

I can actually provide help on this game where the walkthrough won't (like VEX 5th)

BTW: though it's a very morbid grim story, I think the main villain and his grunt are perfectly suited to sith lords. Ironic how SW was not the inspirtation here either!!!

kind of a tossup between slayer and pantera..they are both win.

I guess for now slayer, just 'cuz I know more about them.

Why not open a poll, homeboy?

As I said, I'm not so crazy about 'tallica. It's, just ok, to me. Sorry.

Hellyeah...hmm, don't recall ever hearing about it.

Understand I'm not around cool music as much as I'd like:

KDOT 104.5 (reno) is playing wussier and wussier music. Ever since Nick Danger died--I bet someone whacked him as he had quite a big mouth.

I'm not happy with them, first it used to be 50 minutes non-stop, then 50 minutes with chit chat still called non-stop, then the just took away 10 minutes but left chit chat. 40 minutes non stop (if you don't count chit chat) 'new' rock... So, crappier music, last measured time of actual rock played is more like 30 munites of the 40 with the rest chat. Then left with 20 minutes of advertising...gee like the national avereage of 22 munites of commercials per hour of broadcast.

Or else an oldies station and a classic rock staton. Which I think I'm tipping towards.

I grew up with death metal playing on my walkman cassette player :) deicide, cannibal corpse, suffocation, morbid angel mainly were my faves. I still have all that early stuff. My original Deicide Legion Tshirt still fits :p I saw sepultura when I was 17 [/crap, that was 16 years ago!]

Metal has become so diverse, almost confusing if you want to look at it from a genre perspective... theres folk metal, viking metal, melodic death(melodeath), grindcore, doom, black... the two that freak me out are Christian Death Metal and Pirate Metal.

I think people are picking random words and adding it to the word 'metal' nowdays :p

anyway, I listen to alot of stuff, but from a metal perspective I seem to be stuck in the 90s, even the bands I liked from back then that are still around just aint doing it the same anymore(deicide, morbid angel etc).

I dont mind a bit of black metal, but I do giggle at their antics sometimes. It must be indeed very boring in Norway to have conjured up such a fantasy world these bands (initially) seemed to live in :)

That aside, the black metal groups I really like are Immortal and Nargaroth, 1349, Deathspell Omega and some of that middle era Burzum before Varg got all ambient and weird in jail. Darkthrone also have an album called Goatlord which I think is one if the most unique albums in metal history. It was made during a time when that band were making a transition from Death>Black. The album captures it perfectly and there has been nothing like it since. The only thing that has come close is Goatw*ore from New Orleans, whose early stuff has been called 'American Black Metal' by some. (but dont say that to anyone from Norway) :p

A must extend a special thanks to LFNs very own Pieski, who has kept me up to date with all the latest black metal goings on from his Necrowizard Lair homeland of Norway ;)

bang on metal monsters!

mtfbwya

anyway, I listen to alot of stuff, but from the metal perspective I seem to be stuck in the 90s, even the bands I liked from back then that are still around just aint doing it the same anymore(deicide, morbid angel etc).

hehehe.. same here man. Still listen to my "classics" moreso than the newer bands, but there's a few I like. Some favs (regulars) include Pantera, Crowbar, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax, Megadeath (early), Metallica (REAL early), Forced Entry, Testament, Death, BioHazard & Cannibal Corpse.

Funny you should mention Morbid Angel Astro.. brings back some memories. A few years back a friend of mine and I went to a local concert, Morbid Angel and Crowbar. Needless to say, youthful 'antics' combined with the metal crowd.. a bit of pre-show debauchery ensued ;). Being the young lad that I was then, and not much for being prude.. Nature called. Rather than spend a whole 2 minutes to get inside the club to find a restroom.. I walked over behind some bushes (near a railroad track, so this seemed like a pretty isolated location) and well.. watered the plants. Little had I known that just behind the tracks up on the hill was a subdivision :o Not moments later, I was greeted by a handful of officers (on hand for the 'metal crowd rowdiness' I'm sure).

Apparently, even if you're not spotted (unless you're an eagle-eyed cop I guess) it warrants an indecent exposure charge :headbump

The next day was just lovely... I got a free photo and fingerprints :fist:

And I'm sure the cops still have some grand stories since you must remove all jewelry (including body) to get booked.

Luckily, I got out of the charge (pays to befriend high status friends ;) ) but yeah.. moral of the story: Take 2 minutes to find the loo :lol:

Rock on Metal Heads :rock:

My interests lie in Symphonic, Black, Folk & Viking genres, and of course, good ol' Metal like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden (which is my favouritest band). I've lately been exploring Avant-Garde metal, and I like what I see.

Among my favourite artists would be:

Iron Maiden, Sigh, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Bathory, Black Sabbath, Gorgoroth, Burzum, Immortal, Blut Aus Nord, Rammstein, Apocalyptica, Dimmu Borgir, 1349, Ensalved, Falkenbach, Nightwish, Melechesh, Nokturnal Mortum, Turisas, Summoning & Wintersun. Many more, of course. I just don't keep a lot on my drive, as I have merely 80 gigs, so my collection stretched to about 10 gigs. >.>

I've also been looking into some indie and newbie bands, and I like it. Bands of note would be ID:VISION, The Horn, Narjahanam, Peccatum and so on. I recently tried Age of Silence, and while the band has the talent, their songs are ridiculously repetitive and the vocals a bit embarrassing. >.>

hehe... Chainz, getting an indecent exposure charge at a metal concert is a badge of honour :D I spent most of my first metal concert(sepultura) ducking and weaving. Out of the six of us that went, I was the only proud owner of no bruised or broken ribs :D

Im nowhere near as nimble now, so if I ever did go to a metal concert these days, I'd be standing nearer to the back like an old fart with a brewski :p

In other metal related news, if anyone wants to see one of the most ridiculous black metal film clips of all time, check out Arckanum's "Gava Fran Tulen" Fanboys of the group seem to think he's emulating some ancient ritualistic behaviour, to me he looks like the even more deranged older brother of the little puppet from the movie SAW :p Still, even the troll from that video cant hold a candle to Immortals awesome and ridiculous

. I can NEVER watch that vid without rolling around like a maniac laughing.... perfect cure for if you are ever glum...no need for whiskey or anti-depressants, just watch 'Wintermoon'!

mtfbwya

I can NEVER watch that vid without rolling around like a maniac laughing.... perfect cure for if you are ever glum...no need for whiskey or anti-depressants, just watch 'Wintermoon'!

I LOL'd :p

The comments we're even funnier.. hehehe

Didn't Pie™ at one time have an Immortal "Tootsie Pop" avatar? That was freaking awesome :lol:

Motorhead is releasing a new album?! I need to get out more often....

Not only are they releasing it, but it's already released :)

Anyways, my top 5:

Metallica: I'm talking Kill 'Em All - ...And Justice For All, for me, the Load era was another band.

Slayer: South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are 2 of the best albums known to man

Iron Maiden: Do I honestly have to say anything else?

Motorhead: Speed Metal at it's finest, Ace of Spades is the definition of speed metal

All That Remains: I usually dislike even the thought of Metalcore, but All That Remains really brought it to the spotlight for me, especially This Calling and Six

Recently, I've been listening to more classic metal, like Scorpions and Black Sabbath and the like, but I'll always be a Thrash fan :D

In other metal related news, if anyone wants to see one of the most ridiculous black metal film clips of all time, check out Arckanum's "Gava Fran Tulen" Fanboys of the group seem to think he's emulating some ancient ritualistic behaviour, to me he looks like the even more deranged older brother of the little puppet from the movie SAW :p Still, even the troll from that video cant hold a candle to Immortals awesome and ridiculous
. I can NEVER watch that vid without rolling around like a maniac laughing.... perfect cure for if you are ever glum...no need for whiskey or anti-depressants, just watch 'Wintermoon'!

I always get a good laugh whenever I watch Korpiklaani's Wooden Pints video. I love how the violinist just comes out of that cottage and starts playing. :xp:

is also a bit of a funny, but not as much as Wooden Pints, that one is classic.

And while we're on the topic of videos, I'd like to mention Burzum's psychedelic video for

here, which no doubt left Astro unimpressed. :D

I'vew always been a fan of older metal(maybe because I grew up on the stuff). Sabbath, Metallica(pre-Jason Newstead), and that era.

admittedly I can STAND Justice, but the "Dont Tread on Me" album made me lose interest.

I used to like a lot of different death metal bands, but I've since lost my taste for it.

Metallica(pre-Jason Newstead), and that era.

admittedly I can STAND Justice, but the "Dont Tread on Me" album made me lose interest.

Are you serious? Justice was there best, the noly downside is you can't hear the bass, One, there best song ever, Dyers Eve, Blackened, there all classics, how could you not like it.

Oh, and the Don't Tread On Me albums was "Metallica" AKA "The Black Album"

Are you serious? Justice was there best, the noly downside is you can't hear the bass, One, there best song ever, Dyers Eve, Blackened, there all classics, how could you not like it.

Oh, and the Don't Tread On Me albums was "Metallica" AKA "The Black Album"

I'm a bassist, not hearing the bass is a good reason for me not to like an album. And sorry, We'll have to agree to disagree on justice being the best. Puppets for me was the best. Course Anesthesia Pulling Teeth off Kill em all made me decide to become a bassist.

It was called many names. I had started calling it that after I saw the "don't tread on me" snake on the cover.

I LOL'd :p

The comments we're even funnier.. hehehe

Didn't Pie™ at one time have an Immortal "Tootsie Pop" avatar? That was freaking awesome :lol:

Yes, Pie has had some interesting adventures with his avvies here to say the least :)

@ Sabre. . . Dunkelheit is actually one of my fave vids of all time. I like the spooky lo-fi forest footage, and hybrid Nordic symbols interspersed with Tolkien fonts :p

mtfbwya

I'm a bassist, not hearing the bass is a good reason for me not to like an album. And sorry, We'll have to agree to disagree on justice being the best. Puppets for me was the best. Course Anesthesia Pulling Teeth off Kill em all made me decide to become a bassist.

It was called many names. I had started calling it that after I saw the "don't tread on me" snake on the cover.

Fair enough, for me though, I'd list Puppets as 3rd best, Ride the Lightning was f****** awesome!

And I've never heard anyone until now call The Black Album the Don't Tread on me album, it's a s*** song anyway.

Oh, and yes, (Anesthesia)Pulling Teeth made me contemplate becoming a bassist, but I couldn't be bothered :xp:

was the metal of my youth. o_Q

:lol: They will ALWAYS be Green Jello in my book.. shame they weren't allowed to keep the name. Green Jelly just doesn't do them justice.

They're a riot in concert too... cross between a GWAR and Primus show. Entertaining with costumes, minus the goo you'd get plastered with if you're too close to a GWAR stage ;):D

Archived