Home

Math Help

Rev7

We did these last year. Solution by elimination:

8x+3y+5=0

10 x+6y+13=0

\\we multiply one equation, so that both of them have one variable (y) the same number with different signs:

(-2) (8x+3y+5) = 0

10x+6y+13 = 0

\\we multiply:

-16x-6y-10 = 0

10x+6y+13 = 0

\\Now we make them one equation, and we cross out the two y's with diferrent signs;):

-16x+10x-6y+6y-10+13 = 0

\\we move the equation forward:

-6x+3 = 0 <=>

-6x = -3 <=>

x = -3/-6 <=>

x = 0,5

Hope this helps!!:) Yeah, I'm kind of nerd at maths!:D

|I|

Solve for 3y and then substitute in the second line:

8x + 3y + 5 = 0

10x + 6y + 13 = 0

=> first line = 3y = -8x - 5 So Second line equals,

10x + 2(-8x - 5) + 13 = 0.

10x + -16x - 10 + 13 = 0

-6x + 3 = 0

-6x = -3

6x = 3

x = .5

Test:

4 + 3y + 5 = 0

3y = -9

y = -3

Test:

10(.5) + 6(-3) + 13 = 0

5 + -18 + 13 = 0

=> True

Thank you! I eventually figured it out after working on it for about an hour.

False...

8x + 3y + 5 = 0

x -3

------------

-24x -9y -15 = 0

Hint:

Try -2 instead of -3... then add the two equations to eliminate the y variables.

Ah, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out.

We did these last year. Solution by elimination:

8x+3y+5=0

10 x+6y+13=0

\\we multiply one equation, so that both of them have one variable (y) the same number with different signs:

(-2) (8x+3y+5) = 0

10x+6y+13 = 0

\\we multiply:

-16x-6y-10 = 0

10x+6y+13 = 0

\\Now we make them one equation, and we cross out the two y's with diferrent signs;):

-16x+10x-6y+6y-10+13 = 0

\\we move the equation forward:

-6x+3 = 0 <=>

-6x = -3 <=>

x = -3/-6 <=>

x = 0,5

Hope this helps!!:) Yeah, I'm kind of nerd at maths!:D

|I|

It did. Thank you.

Thanks for the help guys. My whole class was utterly confused on some of the problems on the worksheet. Unfortunately, I am just a little bit worried about the test. I kinda stink at some of the harder problems like these.

Thank you for the time guys! :)

I think I'm in agreement with herbiez....

Actually there are areas where it becomes useful... Figuring out how much fuel yer gonna need on a flight(if you happen to fly) is kinda important... Electronics uses a whole mess of algebraic expressions... Target motion analysis... oh yeah and that whole going to college thing... ya gotta know yer maths.... You can almost get away with less than stellar english skills, but math ya have to know...

You can almost get away with less than stellar english skills, but math ya have to know...

I dunno... English is sort of essential to communicating with one another. I don't think you can do without language skills any more than you can do without maths skills.

I think I'm in agreement with herbiez....

Actually there are areas where it becomes useful... Figuring out how much fuel yer gonna need on a flight(if you happen to fly) is kinda important... Electronics uses a whole mess of algebraic expressions... Target motion analysis... oh yeah and that whole going to college thing... ya gotta know yer maths.... You can almost get away with less than stellar english skills, but math ya have to know...

Eye doctor=math every single patient every single day. Optics is all physics/math.

I dunno... English is sort of essential to communicating with one another. I don't think you can do without language skills any more than you can do without maths skills.

I was at an unnamed store *cough*Target*cough* to buy a few things awhile ago. I had 5 items, all 10 dollars or less. The checkout person rang it all up and informed me "That'll be $105.(something)."

Me: I don't think that's correct.

Checkout Person (sounding annoyed that she was being questioned): Well, that's what the cash register says.

Me (trying to decide whether I should bang my head on the conveyor belt in frustration, or grab Checkout Person and ask her where her brains were located, because it certainly wasn't in her head): Well, someone must have programmed the cash register incorrectly then, because there's no way that 5 times 10 is 105.

Checkout Person (sighing in a huff as she pulls up the tape to double check it, then looks sheepish): Oh. One item rang up as 55 instead of 5.50.

Me: Imagine that.

Know your math. Target would have ripped me off for 50 bucks that day if I hadn't been paying attention to my math that day.

Eye doctor=math every single patient every single day. Optics is all physics/math.

It really depends on the area of work...I used to be pretty good at math while I was at school but now I'm more than rusty at it since the only real uses I currently have for math are err...calculating measurements for a recipe, overclocking my PC and billing my clients :sign2: (j/k). Basic math (elementary level) will get anyone through that. However, strong language skills (French in my case) are most essential in my area of work.

I was in the Mall of America last year and was buying a mood ring. My bill ended up being $5.50 dollars even after tax, so I hand the guy a $10 dollar bill.

He then informs me that the register went down and that he was going to have to figure out my change on paper.

After about 30 seconds of him furrowing his brow in a vain attempt at mimicking people knowledge he has to call his boss over to do it for him.

Wait for it.

...wwwwwwwait for it.

His boss then proceeds to think about it and hands me back $3.50. :3pdance:

I was in the Mall of America last year and was buying a mood ring. My bill ended up being $5.50 dollars even after tax, so I hand the guy a $10 dollar bill.

He then informs me that the register went down and that he was going to have to figure out my change on paper.

After about 30 seconds of him furrowing his brow in a vain attempt at mimicking people knowledge he has to call his boss over to do it for him.

Wait for it.

...wwwwwwwait for it.

His boss then proceeds to think about it and hands me back $3.50. :3pdance:

Clearly you weren't accounting for the ever decreasing value of the dollar. By the time he calculated your change, the $10 you have them was only worth $9.

Know your math. Target would have ripped me off for 50 bucks that day if I hadn't been paying attention to my math that day.

I don't think language skills and literacy are more important than numeracy, I just don’t agree with the view that you can do without competence in a language. :)

If you couldn’t read properly it would be just as debilitating as not being able to do maths. At its most basic level a lack of literacy raises the issues of being unable to comprehend instructions on the back of a pre-cooked meal and perhaps understanding the words “Danger: Operating while tube is in motion may cause death” to mean “Come on and open the door!” At a higher level it means an inability to express ideas and communicate in a fluent and coherent manner; skills which are more important than ever in a western world increasingly dominated by tertiary service-based industries.

I’m not talking about knowing how great an Oxford Comma is or how we can have ever so much fun by using gerunds (the stuff of truly fascinating conversations in the grounds of Trinity College, Cambridge). I’m talking about basic English skills just as you are talking about basic skills in mathematics. :)

I don't think language skills and literacy are more important than numeracy, I just don’t agree with the view that you can do without competence in a language. :)
Oh--I never meant to imply language skills aren't important, because they are. Some people seem to think they can get by without learning math, and it just isn't so.

I’m not talking about knowing how great an Oxford Comma is or how we can have ever so much fun by using gerunds (the stuff of truly fascinating conversations in the grounds of Trinity College, Cambridge).

I happen to really like split infinitives.

Archived