Home

The Official Obama debate thread.

jonathan7

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes' date=' the stimulus contains a lot of things which give the wrong incentives, not work, and not work at the right time. However, with the current situation being as bad as it is, the economy is still likely to need the boost once it hits, even if it happens later. In adition, getting the damned thing through the house and senate meant that compromises had to be made.[/quote']

True. I'm glad to see at least someone isn't painting the shutters w.r.t. POV.

Long term is better. However, there is no real way to predict it, I think. Not with rock solid certainty, anyway.

[biting Sarcasm]: AT LAST! My father will finally be able to get the knee replacement, now deteriorating to need for double knee replacement, he has sorely needed.

:dozey:

Yeah, that is if he qualifies.

By runing a defecit.

Ugh.

Read up on Keynesian economics' date=' though your question was strictly how to expand government without having the money.[/quote']

I seem to remember something about that in my educational coverage of economics. I'll have to brush up. Thanks.

You mean, in the first month of Obama's presidency, he hasn't saved the world!? But I thought he was the black superman!

black_superman.jpg

:laughing:

:lol::rofl:

Hey, it's good to see that although you don't always agree with political views to the right, you are willing to be frank about it and make us laugh wihle doing it.

:laughing:

:lol::rofl:

Hey, it's good to see that although you don't always agree with political views to the right, you are willing to be frank about it and make us laugh wihle doing it.

I think the purpose of that was to criticise Yar-El for expecting so much of him so fast, not to somehow bolster a right-wing opinion. But that's just what I got from it.

I think the purpose of that was to criticise Yar-El for expecting so much of him so fast, not to somehow bolster a right-wing opinion. But that's just what I got from it.

I think it was a little from column A and a little from column B. The picture kinda seems to bolster the black Superman that the media appeared to make him out to be.

Honestly it isn't the Republicans and conservatives that are expecting huge successes from him. It's the Liberals and the media that are expecting him to be the savior. Conservatives expect him to be a failure.

Then there are people like myself, that tend to be conservative, but understand that he can't do everything in the first part of his first year. We know he has a long row to hoe.

Board needs some humor, feels like a graveyard or a prison sometimes.

Yeah, not him in particular, but anyone who's going to admonish Obama for not fixing the country yet. The President, regardless of who they are, can only do so much, in the end it's going to be us who fix the country.

I think it was a little from column A and a little from column B. The picture kinda seems to bolster the black Superman that the media appeared to make him out to be.

The picture, and the statement, were sarcastic, to poke fun at people berating Obama and the media's image of them.

There's no one on the planet who could change the economic crisis in the first month of their Presidency, especially a crisis of this magnitude. Super-Obama couldn't, Super-McCain couldn't, Super-whoever couldn't. Anyone who thinks we can fix a recession in a month needs to do some homework on recessions to learn more about them. :)

There's no one on the planet who could change the economic crisis in the first month of their Presidency, especially a crisis of this magnitude. Super-Obama couldn't, Super-McCain couldn't, Super-whoever couldn't.
Super-FDR did, with some major help from Super-Tojo bombing Pearl Harbor.

I grind *all* presidents. Nobody gets by me unscathed. I'll find a reason, regardless what political alignment they are.

:dozey::dozey::dozey:

Lighten up. I've seen enough about his posts to figure out what kind of guy he is. I didn't think he was bolstering right wing opinions either--just picking up on humor elements as they are sorely needed around here.

And a praise to him for being a real sport about it. Is that a crime? Not last I checked.

Board needs some humor, feels like a graveyard or a prison sometimes.
Thank you. Praises again, good fellow, for an honest assessment. o_Q

Yeah, not him in particular, but anyone who's going to admonish Obama for not fixing the country yet. The President, regardless of who they are, can only do so much, in the end it's going to be us who fix the country. The picture, and the statement, were sarcastic, to poke fun at people berating Obama and the media's image of them.

Down to earth. Civil. I like that. In all fairness, there are those on both sides of the aisle. Anyone expecting unrealistic things was being suckered in.

There's no one on the planet who could change the economic crisis in the first month of their Presidency, especially a crisis of this magnitude. Super-Obama couldn't, Super-McCain couldn't, Super-whoever couldn't. Anyone who thinks we can fix a recession in a month needs to do some homework on recessions to learn more about them. :)

:3heart::3heart::3heart:

Recessions move far too slow for anyone to be able to do anything about it immediately. Even if you take your power and flood everything with immediate $$$. What's more is that long term is not always so certain as many things can go wrong in the meantime.

This is just pragmatic common sense.

FDR was elected in '32, Pearl Harbor wasn't til Dec 7, 1941. :)
Yeah, but the Great Fepression was still essentially in effect until WWII; that's when thousands of new jobs were created to help the war effort, essentially jumpstarting the economy. In hindsight, you can say that Imperial Japan helped bring the US out of the Depression.

Obama Outlines Iraq Withdrawal.

OMG, i'm so totally annoyed that he didn't bring the troops home three months ago like he should have. Four weeks in and the Liberals have already ruined the country. :xp:

Just like he should have fixed the banking crisis back in 2005. :p

Woah... so you're ok with another 3 years in Iraq? And it's actually Democrats who are expressing that he isn't doing enough. Republicans don't like the withdrawal timeline. Dems think it's too slow.

oh and unlike the first claim, he actually could have helped with the banking crisis earlier.. you know because he was in the senate.... Not saying he had any real power or the actual ability to do it single handedly, heck bush couldn't and he was the president. He still needed congress to do something. Theoretically we should be coming out of a recession, but Bush helped to delay the inevitable(which in turn made it worse) through government action. Similar to how Obama is trying to prop the economy up again with government action. I'm pretty sure that this will have a similar effect. But what do I know.. I'm just yer average guy.

Theoretically we should be coming out of a recession, but Bush helped to delay the inevitable(which in turn made it worse) through government action.

The problem with Bush wasn't government action, it was that he flipped a coin before doing things. Nothing like leting some huge lenders go down in flames while saving others if you want to make the market think you're a crackpot.

Similar to how Obama is trying to prop the economy up again with government action.

Partly agree, some of what he does is neccesary if uncomfortable (bailing out the financial sector for instance), other parts are foolish though at least more comfortable(bailing out carmakers for instance).

The problem with Bush wasn't government action' date=' it was that he flipped a coin before doing things. Nothing like leting some huge lenders go down in flames while saving others if you want to make the market think you're a crackpot.[/quote']

Actually to be frank, I feel that the economy would have recovered faster had Bush not tried saving the ones he did. I think the prior administration did too much, and hurt the ecomony more than inaction would have. granted the economy would have been collapsing earlier, which would have hurt election results. But then I'm just a partisan thinking the Republicans can do no wrong LOL...

Partly agree' date=' some of what he does is neccesary if uncomfortable (bailing out the financial sector for instance), other parts are foolish though at least more comfortable(bailing out carmakers for instance).[/quote']

The majority of the stuff in the stimulus is there to make us feel better, but in reality will hurt the economy even worse. I am not expecting this recession to end for a while. If you have a job, hold on to it like it's gold. Save your cash as much as possible.

Archived